home studio mixing rates
New Reply
Subscribe
sinicalmicmusic
3rd January 2009
Old 3rd January 2009
Gear maniac

home studio mixing rates

Ive been kinda reading about peoples studio rates and why they charge what they do. one question i could not find the answer to. like to hear it? here it goes....

do you guys ever mix a whole cd for a bulk rate? i feel this could be good or bad and of course that is subjective to what someones time is worth.

i charge only 25hr for studio time. ive been recording/mixing alot of people over the last 3years and before that i was working on music steadily since 2001.

i feel that im still young and need to gain more exp before i bump up my rates. people really are starting to like "my sound" that i have been working hard on. i also like to do bulk rates to help keep the cost down which is ok, i still have a 9-5r. but mixing down a cd could get strenuous
on my schedule.

brass tax: there is no instrumental splits, just a 2track of the beats.
if i only assumed that it would be 4hrs per track (at least) which would put me at about $1400-$1700 . then i think he wants to have me """"master"""" it. for some reason ive met alot of rappers that dont know what the difference is and think its part of the cd mix package.

im sure he would say no to that. and damn it i need the money.
how low can i go???
3rd January 2009
Old 3rd January 2009
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to jikky
You can't go any lower. $1400-$1700 is a good deal. Put him on a payment plan. If he wanna seriously put out a cd then he has to learn it costs money. At the same time putting him on a payment plan helps him work out the expense. Is he doing shows yet? If not, then he needs to do 4 or 5 songs for $400-$500 and go book some shows off of that b4 he proceeds. Run it like a business. You have to get paid. You have to eat. Unless he is a good friend. If not, and he doesn't have the money then it's time for him to beg, borrow, and steal. I don't understand why people lump up mixing and mastering as one process. Eh, it's the world we live in. Goodluck with that venture. If you decide to go any lower, make sure it's profitable.
sinicalmicmusic
3rd January 2009
Old 3rd January 2009
Gear maniac

i hear ya.

and he has done many shows. hes good on that.

as for the payment plan. im not sure if i trust people unless they are my close friend to handle those type of payments. well maybe half up front half when done.

people will try to haggle me but i will hold strong. i could bargain a second deal where its like 2hrs a song. sounds like a bad idea but some people just dont care about "good sounding product" and at the end of the day he is really paying for time anyway. tho i wont recommend it.

do you guys wanna start making bets on weather he will say yes or no?/tutt
3rd January 2009
Old 3rd January 2009
Gear nut

I've been thinking a lot about this myself. I'm considering recording MC's at my fairly legit home studio, but pricing is tough to figure. I've had my own "friend" screw me out of $200 for recording him (he still sees me all the time and never brings it up. I've just written the money (and him) off.) I say, figure out the bare minimum it would take to have it be worth it, and ask for at least 1 or 2 hundred bucks more than that for the whole package. Haggle if necessary down to your base price.

As far as "mastering", you could probably throw it in with your base price. If these are 2 tracks anyway, they're probably way limited, and it wouldn't take long to lightly limit th mixed tracks to a workable level. People get what they pay for, you know?

2 questions for peeps:

1) how do you advertise for your home studio to the Hip-Hop/ RnB crowd? Craigslist?

2) What about security? We all have at least some valuable gear, and it would suck if someone came through to record, told their man what they saw, and dude came back and broke in. If, like me, your actively courting clients with limited cash, I think its a legit concern.
3rd January 2009
Old 3rd January 2009
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey Free View Post

2 questions for peeps:

1) how do you advertise for your home studio to the Hip-Hop/ RnB crowd? Craigslist?

its best to network with artists in your area through shows and such. knowing the local scene is hard to gain by creigslist

2) What about security? We all have at least some valuable gear, and it would suck if someone came through to record, told their man what they saw, and dude came back and broke in. If, like me, your actively courting clients with limited cash, I think its a legit concern.

1) its best to network with artists in your area through shows and such. knowing the local scene is hard to gain by creigslist

2)insurance/respect will go a long way. but its possable. get a dog?

but lets try to stay on topic please
3rd January 2009
Old 3rd January 2009
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to jikky
Quote:
Originally Posted by sinicalmicmusic View Post
i hear ya.

and he has done many shows. hes good on that.

as for the payment plan. im not sure if i trust people unless they are my close friend to handle those type of payments. well maybe half up front half when done.

people will try to haggle me but i will hold strong. i could bargain a second deal where its like 2hrs a song. sounds like a bad idea but some people just dont care about "good sounding product" and at the end of the day he is really paying for time anyway. tho i wont recommend it.

do you guys wanna start making bets on weather he will say yes or no?/tutt
Well in the past, (from an artist perspective) we've gone to the studio and knocked out a few tracks and paid for those. The engineer knew we had more waiting to be done, but just didn't start until we gave him the ok. We came to the studio with the money for the rest and repeated until all was completed. It could take a month. It could take 6. You can charge him to record all the songs based on your hourly rate and he'll have it all recorded. (Tracking process) Then you can talk with him on mixing costs and tell him he can do a few at a time. (Mixing process) Have the sessions for him, but flagged as incomplete until payment is rendered, then mix whatever he pays for. For example, week 1 he records all the songs. Week 2 he comes back and get's the first 3 mixed. He pays you $300 for those 3 songs and get a reference cd with the mixes. Week 4 he comes back, but something came up during week 3 so he has double load. He wants 6 songs mixed and he gives you $600. You send him off with the 6 new mixes. He comes week 5 and got a loan to knock out the other 8, but you have other work so you agree to 4 and take $400 payment and tell him to bring the other $400 next week when you'll have more time. Week 7 he comes because he was bogged down with other stuff, but he wants the rest of the songs done and wants mastering for the whole shebang. He brings $400 and buys pizza for the long night ahead.

In this situation you get the $1,700 spread over a couple months, but you get the money without sacrificing your prices. If he tries to haggle you, explain mastering to him and let him know that you are doing it within you package deal and tell him how it could easily add another $1,000 to the process. Then he realizes he's getting a deal and ya'll both are happy. Never say never. Lol it could happen.
3rd January 2009
Old 3rd January 2009
Lives for gear

When working with independent artists, my suggestion is work by the hour.
By the project will cause endless BS and re-edits as your clients feel more and more comfortable to ask for more and more of your time.
You predict 10 hours of work, they will do their best to get 30 hours out of you.
Cash up front, hour for hour, with 50% paid up front to book the gig.

"Run to the hills, run for your lives."
-Iron Maiden
3rd January 2009
Old 3rd January 2009
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to KEYBEEETSSS Send a message via Yahoo to KEYBEEETSSS Send a message via Skype™ to KEYBEEETSSS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitch333 View Post
When working with independent artists, my suggestion is work by the hour.
By the project will cause endless BS and re-edits as your clients feel more and more comfortable to ask for more and more of your time.
You predict 10 hours of work, they will do their best to get 30 hours out of you.
Cash up front, hour for hour, with 50% paid up front to book the gig.
Said like a TRUE Profession'al!!!
3rd January 2009
Old 3rd January 2009
Lives for gear

ALL the money up front for each session booked.
3rd January 2009
Old 3rd January 2009
Lives for gear

Never do payment plans. Even "friends" will f*ck you over. If they need a payment plan, tell them to get a credit card. If no credit card company will give them credit then YOU certainly shouldn't!!!
Three international #1 hit radio singles
Me: www.vonpimpenstein.com | Studio: www.feistychicken.com | Facebook: www.facebook.com/chriscarterproducer
MIX RATES: Standard major label $700, Standard indie/unsigned $299(temporary price from $550), Promo $49-$99
3rd January 2009
Old 3rd January 2009
Lives for gear

I forget what was no.1 but in the no.2 spot for most untrusting biz to be in is the music biz.

Dan P
3rd January 2009
Old 3rd January 2009
Lives for gear

The sercurity issue is the main reason I dont have clients, some friends asked me several times if they can bring ppl to my crib for (paid) vocal sessions. I always refused, I know local cats mentality very well, I've been there... If you want to run a buisness you got to rent a shop.
3rd January 2009
Old 3rd January 2009
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to KEYBEEETSSS Send a message via Yahoo to KEYBEEETSSS Send a message via Skype™ to KEYBEEETSSS
& if u do use a payment plan, they get NO mixes, ruffs, or nut'n til the coupon is paid in full'ski!!!
"IS TAMARA HOME?"
sinicalmicmusic
3rd January 2009
Old 3rd January 2009
Gear maniac

so im kinda thinking. if i spread out the sessions into like 4parts that could be cool because if he does not want to pay up it wont bother me because i will be paid in full for time spent.

or i could ask for all up front. either way im not getting burnt like the last cd i mixed for a flat fee. i probably spent twice the time and the dude AGAIN didnt know what mastering was. guess what I, the nice guy did

i just cant wait to see my new uad2 in some action

thanks for all the feedback guys.
sinicalmicmusic
3rd January 2009
Old 3rd January 2009
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpuma View Post
The sercurity issue is the main reason I dont have clients, some friends asked me several times if they can bring ppl to my crib for (paid) vocal sessions. I always refused, I know local cats mentality very well, I've been there... If you want to run a buisness you got to rent a shop.

i am feelin this. people think this is a limbo game even tho my prices are CHEAP to beguin with. i bet this guy think it will only be $300 for everything. he is going to think im disrespecting him with a figure like 1700.

ps. no matter what happens i want to give nothing but my best. i DONT want to be looked at like most home studios. i give my all, something money wont pay for.
3rd January 2009
Old 3rd January 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
i am feelin this. people think this is a limbo game even tho my prices are CHEAP to beguin with. i bet this guy think it will only be $300 for everything. he is going to think im disrespecting him with a figure like 1700.

ps. no matter what happens i want to give nothing but my best. i DONT want to be looked at like most home studios. i give my all, something money wont pay for.
DO NOT under sell your talents as time is money.
DO NOT TRUST ANYONE
3rd January 2009
Old 3rd January 2009
Lives for gear

I have to agree with the "get paid up front" thing. At least half up front. Take 50% to hold the time with the other 50% due before starting any mixes.

The clock starts running at the time you booked even if you're not here. People don't quite understand that part at first ... you're not paying only for a certain skill set or room or gear, you're also paying for the time of the person who has that skill set or owns that gear or whatever. In the "home studio" biz, when I don't have sessions I'm often not home. Especially in the summer. If you pay me to be home in the studio I'll be there even if you're not.

I'll gladly watch HBO while the first 45 minutes of your deposit burns away if you can't make it on time ... no skin off my back. My electric meter is still churning after all...

P.S. If I had $20 for every time someone asked me to "work with them" (for free so they could be a star and take me with them) I could retire to the Bahamas and live like a king.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpuma View Post
I don't want to stereotype but yes, in hip-hop/rap that seems to be especially true at the home studio level. It's the main reason I stopped doing those sessions. At the end of the day it's still my home and I need to control who comes in and out. Too unpredictable.

I find jazz musicians for example to be much more comfortable to work with in a home studio setting... more mature overall generally speaking. No offense intended.
4th January 2009
Old 4th January 2009
Lives for gear

Hi

I have a home studio in wich i receive customers. For work via the internet, mix, intrumentals etc... i get paid upfront, always. Only people that i trust or that i get a good feeling about are welcome to come here to record. If i don't know them personnaly i will ask around.

3 hours booking minimum and paid at the beggining of every session. Don't waste your time waiting for guys that will only book you an hour... it's not worth it. 2 time out of 3 they won't even show.

I did a street album for someone last year and he was on a paiement plan.
1800$ for 13 songs and he payed me between 150 and 200 every month.
Each paiement gave him the right to come in and record/mix a song. He also end up buying me 4 instrumental at 100$ each

Remember it's your studio, your rules

-Alxi-
5th January 2009
Old 5th January 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Ive been kinda reading about peoples studio rates and why they charge what they do. one question i could not find the answer to. like to hear it? here it goes....

do you guys ever mix a whole cd for a bulk rate? i feel this could be good or bad and of course that is subjective to what someones time is worth.

i charge only 25hr for studio time. ive been recording/mixing alot of people over the last 3years and before that i was working on music steadily since 2001.

i feel that im still young and need to gain more exp before i bump up my rates. people really are starting to like "my sound" that i have been working hard on. i also like to do bulk rates to help keep the cost down which is ok, i still have a 9-5r. but mixing down a cd could get strenuous
on my schedule.

brass tax: there is no instrumental splits, just a 2track of the beats.
if i only assumed that it would be 4hrs per track (at least) which would put me at about $1400-$1700 . then i think he wants to have me """"master"""" it. for some reason ive met alot of rappers that dont know what the difference is and think its part of the cd mix package.

im sure he would say no to that. and damn it i need the money.
how low can i go???
I stay very busy in my home studio with a lot of clients. I charge what makes it worth it to me to do the work... I will give you and everyone here a little advice, stay away from advertising yourself and your home studio.
I say this because it is your home that you are talking about. Some money cost too much to make. I deal with legit clients that appreciate the risk that I am taking bringing them into my home. All my business is from word of mouth so I know when someone calls its a serious person needing my service. I just finished a session for a singer from Laos. He use to travel all the way across the world back home to record until he met me. Him, his friends and family. Now he is so pleased with my work that he is telling all his friends to save their money and to record with me. When you advertise, you do not know who you are getting. I always feel thats a good way to set yourself up for headaches. I'm a hip hop head myself but most of my clients ironically are gospel, country, r&b, and some rock but very little hip hop. Nothing against hip hop its just so happen i've picked the right ppl to offer my services to and they are always on time, professional and most of all pay what I ask and some even tip. But when I was doing a lot of hip hop, I always got the same problems that I constantly see you guys talk about up here. Once again, I am a hip hop head myself and I have nothing against hip hop, but I have a family to feed and engineering is serious to me, not a hobby. So I have no time for the b.s. that comes with some of these cats that have no respect for me or what I do. I'm not saying don't record hip hop, because I do have like two hip hop artist I record. I'm simply saying choose your clientle wisely if you want to make a living off of recording. I've learned when you choose the right people that like your work, they actually feel honored that you bring them into your home and they feel more comfortable with you. Even though you're running a business, they look at you more of a friend. That is priceless because when it gets to that point, your clients are walking advertisement for you and they would not recommend someone to you that they didn't trust themselves. I hope this helps..
5th January 2009
Old 5th January 2009
Lives for gear

+1 to the above. ^^^^^

I don't advertise my phone number or my home address, only an email address and a general geographic location. Mostly word of mouth and always screened thoroughly.

Very good advice sir.
5th January 2009
Old 5th January 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lawrence View Post

I don't advertise my phone number or my home address, only an email address and a general geographic location. Mostly word of mouth and always screened thoroughly.

Very good advice sir.
SAME HERE...Gotta steal the "Very Good Advice sir" from ya Lawrence...sorry
sinicalmicmusic
5th January 2009
Old 5th January 2009
Gear maniac

im 100% word of mouth. im also gonna make sure i get payed up front from now on.
5th January 2009
Old 5th January 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
im 100% word of mouth. im also gonna make sure i get payed up front from now on.
Yeah, that can be the difference in a "FIG & a PIG"...

5th January 2009
Old 5th January 2009
Lives for gear

My studio is not in my house and I still do not advertise for the same reasons already mentioned.
People know of me by reputation and they know that they will get quality results.
Having said that,I havent got time for foolishness and ignorance.
Any rappers that I work with are people Ive known a long time and who RESPECT their surroundings.
5th January 2009
Old 5th January 2009
Gear maniac

Hi guys, I'm just wondering if any of you have mixed trance music?
5th January 2009
Old 5th January 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikey boy View Post
Hi guys, I'm just wondering if any of you have mixed trance music?
yeah, alot. thumbsup
5th January 2009
Old 5th January 2009
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhiltonlittle View Post
yeah, alot. thumbsup
The reason I asked is that I have been approached by a trance produced who is a very good friend of mine. He has asked me to put up a post in a hope of finding a good and reputable engineer who understands this type of music.
5th January 2009
Old 5th January 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:

As for advertising studio time for hip-hop, Id say easily the best place is myspace hands down and then yes craigslist. If you go to a guitar center or music store you can meet and mingle with the guys who you can spot from a mile away are just getting started, they are the ones playing with the cheapest shiny looking gear in the store, and are drooling over an MBox (i know becasue i was one of them). Go over, talk, and exchange numbers and myspace pages. Also if you dont have an actual website, just buy a domain name for a year =$10.00 @ yahoo and set it up to redirect all traffic to your myspace. This helps when someone googles recording studios in your area.

Last security. Get Renters Insurance or Musicians Insurance. Its $150 a year or 14 dollars a month. Let clients know that you are allways working in your studio even if your not. Dont let them know your exact client schedule. If they know you dont record on Mondays and play tennis, thats when they know would be a good time to hit you.

Also ask for an ID of at least one person who comes to the session preferably whoever booked the session. They may not want to show it to you with out a good reason. So you fill out the charging/billing form, and in a very professional way explain to them about you filing taxes ect..... as a private buisness and its needed incase your audited and for good record keeping. At least get the actual name from the ID if not an adress and everything else. If you ever get hit, then you already have a data base to work from. Rather than telling cops, yeah I think MC Gangster Man did it. How will they find him?

www.i80media.com
I-80 Media Group via YouTube
5th January 2009
Old 5th January 2009
Lives for gear

Personally,I dont want or need the aggrevation associated with the rap game and its dubious associates, but they do know NOT to f**k with me...
And its a damn shame that is has to be like that because I am a big rap/hip hop fan ...its just that I value my property and above all my life.
5th January 2009
Old 5th January 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:

As the others stated, word of mouth. As for security, it mostly hinges on the people I let in. I'm no sucker, real recognize real, right? My studio is in my home.

I purposely leave an AK-47 round standing on my shelf. Every person that steps foot in here sees it. Some comment, others eyes just get big when they see it. I have several other firearms and my wife feels comfortable shooting two of them. One of us in almost always home. My neighbors also look out for me. Another way is going to the shooting range, take your best target with the best shots, frame it and hang it up. I'm dead serious. (I realize that this is near impossible in NYC.)

Most important though is just using discernment before you even let them step into your home.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search