Free & nice VST Filter
Straight
27th December 2008
Old 27th December 2008
Gear nut

Free & nice VST Filter

hello Gearslutz!

I'm looking for a good filter plugin. While mixing, I try to create space for my low freqs of the kick and bass, so I always cut the low end from every other instrument. I always do it with EQ, but I want to do it in a lil bit more simple way, so I need a good and simple filter plugin.

I read a few articles and some people say that the quality of vst filters is important, because some bad coded filters can kill the punch out of tracks.

what you think'd be the right one? what's your experience?

thank you
27th December 2008
Old 27th December 2008
Lives for gear

Are you asking for a free one?

The new Harrison EQ on UAD is supposed to have awesome filters. Reaper has some free vst's that are good...ReaEQ. I think those are the 2 ends of the money spectrum.

And yes I do think it makes a difference, I used to use a easy on the computer vst eq to do HP and LP and it just doesn't work as well. It seemed the tracks were getting hollowed out...not nice. I haven't tried the Harrison a ton and have used the UAD 1073 for HP and LP, am liking the Harrison though so far.
cam
Straight
27th December 2008
Old 27th December 2008
Gear nut

yeah I'm looking for a free VST stuff. I don't have the money for an UAD stuff, because it's not that important, and I want a vst because I want it to work with my daw.
27th December 2008
Old 27th December 2008
Lives for gear

Straight,

You may check out this guy.

He had some cool parametric stuff from what I remember, one of which I believe had HP/LP filters. It's freeware, and if you like it you can just pay him whatever you feel it's worth (or can afford). Been meaning to check back there. Last I checked, he was adding modules faster than I could download them.

Take Care
7th January 2009
Old 7th January 2009
Lives for gear

Update- Been trying this the past couple days and it looks good. Need to see what affect it has on everything above the HP point, but there shouldn't be much question about how steep it can get.

BTW- One of the rhythminmind plugs locked up Nuendo2 the other night while I was checking it out (it hadn't crashed in ages). Save often if you try them, just in case they were the cause.

Take Care,

George
Attached Thumbnails
Free & nice VST Filter-rubberfilter.jpg  
7th January 2009
Old 7th January 2009
Gear addict

7th January 2009
Old 7th January 2009
Lives for gear

for logic users, nothin beats their single band hi/low cut eqs ... practically NO foot print and nice and straight forward. a breeze to automate as well...
8th January 2009
Old 8th January 2009
Lives for gear

You want free? Pick up a Computer Music magazine. The DVD has some decent software. Much of the software is as goods as the full version, just some features disabled. Coupla good EQs in there.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search