Omnispehere unsuitable for Hip Hop/RnB production
Old 9th December 2008
Lives for gear

Omnispehere unsuitable for Hip Hop/RnB production

I just spend a night with it at my buddy's studio..I wonder what on earth is wrong with spectrasonicstike They really f**k this up IMO. Do they really think that ppl actually use those garbage neo-post-industrial-sounds in a NORMAL MUSIC arrangement?tutt Very uninspiring if you ask me. Maybe if you are into film scoring.. Some original atmosphere's patchs are usable, but that's about it folks. 90% percent of the sounds are those bell/metalic crap drones..

I wanna ear your thought slutz.. You think i'm overreacting or omnisphere really is unsuitable for Hip Hop/RnB production?
Old 9th December 2008
Dor
Lives for gear

I agree that the presets are a buzzkill.

D
Old 9th December 2008
Lives for gear

+1... totally not suiteable for hiphop. Rob papen plugins are more better and opener for getting the right sound and more banks to find for on the net for free
Old 9th December 2008
Lives for gear

dont use the presets and make your own synth stuff... I don't use sample synth libraries anymore but you can definitely make some decent stuff with it.

I find the choirs especially the dynamic patch with the mod wheel is the best for hip-hop choirs... The strings are also not bad at all.
Old 10th December 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by solidstate View Post
I just spend a night with it at my buddy's studio..I wonder what on earth is wrong with spectrasonicstike They really f**k this up IMO. Do they really think that ppl actually use those garbage neo-post-industrial-sounds in a NORMAL MUSIC arrangement?tutt Very uninspiring if you ask me. Maybe if you are into film scoring.. Some original atmosphere's patchs are usable, but that's about it folks. 90% percent of the sounds are those bell/metalic crap drones..

I wanna ear your thought slutz.. You think i'm overreacting or omnisphere really is unsuitable for Hip Hop/RnB production?
No offense, But Hip Hop/RNB is not the only musical style out there.

Maybe it doesnt work for those genres, but I can assure you there are LOTS of electronic genres that thrive on the kind of Pads one could make with Spectrasonic synths, not to mention film scorers.

To say they really F*&%ed it up because it doesn't work for Hip Hop/RNB is a pretty bizzarre statement.
Old 10th December 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sardi View Post

Maybe it doesnt work for those genres, but I can assure you there are LOTS of electronic genres that thrive on the kind of Pads one could make with Spectrasonic synths, not to mention film scorers.

To say they really F*&%ed it up because it doesn't work for Hip Hop/RNB is a pretty bizzarre statement.
honestly a lot of the presets are kinda corny for film stuff- its kinda the lower end spectrum... good for the ITB jingle composers. But like I said before the amount of content is extroadinary you could do a lot of cool stuff with it.

I wouldnt use it for electronic music- not bad ass enough.

I thought in general the effects blew...
Old 10th December 2008
Lives for gear

I see hip hop not as a genre but a mindset.

Madvillain and Tricky are hip hop to me, in addition to more famous/popular/commercial stuff like Jay Z and Dr. Dre. Hip hop is an expansive and inclusive genre that welcomes a wide range of personalities and approaches.

"Sounds suitable for hip hop?"

That's any sound in the world, depending on the moment and depending on your taste.

That's my take on the matter.

Also, I'm pretty sure the people who made Omnisphere didn't expect people to just dial through the presets. The very name itself encourages you to dive in and explore the (purportedly) infinite possibilities.

- c
Old 10th December 2008
Lives for gear

Of course it's unsuitable for hip hop if you want to sound like everyone else.
Old 10th December 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYAMS View Post
dont use the presets and make your own synth stuff... I don't use sample synth libraries anymore but you can definitely make some decent stuff with it.

I find the choirs especially the dynamic patch with the mod wheel is the best for hip-hop choirs... The strings are also not bad at all.
Well i'm not a 'tweakhead' if you know what i mean. I rather start browsing patches, find one i like and adjust it a little bit. If i'm not mistaken you've got the virus TI? How you like the patches?
Old 10th December 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sardi View Post

That's why i post this on the Hip Hop forum

I agree that it might be cool for scoring/chillout/industrial stuff.. But for everything else
Old 10th December 2008
Lives for gear

Fair enough, and I know you posted it in the Hip Hop section, I just find it a somewhat bizzarre statement saying they screwed it up.

I just don't think that was their target audience for the instrument.

Having said that, I doubt many people would have thought the current mainstream Hip Hop sound would have started incorporating Trancey synth lines - but it has.
Old 10th December 2008
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Sonya View Post

Madvillain and Tricky are hip hop to me, in addition to more famous/popular/commercial stuff like Jay Z and Dr. Dre. Hip hop is an expansive and inclusive genre that welcomes a wide range of personalities and approaches.

That's any sound in the world, depending on the moment and depending on your taste.

Also, I'm pretty sure the people who made Omnisphere didn't expect people to just dial through the presets. The very name itself encourages you to dive in and explore the (purportedly) infinite possibilities.

- c
I agree. It's rumored that Dr. Dre is using Omnisphere on the Detox project. All sounds are welcome in Hip-Hop and RnB. It's how you freak it.
Old 10th December 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Well i'm not a 'tweakhead' if you know what i mean. I rather start browsing patches, find one i like and adjust it a little bit. If i'm not mistaken you've got the virus TI? How you like the patches?
there sick, best patches of any synth/vst out there... just not as hot as the ones I make... You wanna have hot sounds you gotta make your own.

Check out the omnisphere choirs... hot stuff.
Old 10th December 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Sonya View Post

- c
Old 10th December 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:

I totally agree with you thumbsup

I have been using Atmosphere for a good few years, and it has some cool pads, textures, etc, but it really gets all too fluffy-puffy to use with RnB / Hip Hop IMHO. I feel that many of the sounds just lack dynamic punch for this kind of music. The envelope response has been a let down too.

I have not used Omnisphere, but I know too well what it's going to be filled with after listening to many of the demos.
Old 10th December 2008
Gear addict

this makes no sense, sorry. anything can be made and used for hip hop. it's up to you to make it. if we weren't able to take samples from non soul/funk/disco/etc and make that shit hot, than folks would've ran out of shit a long time ago.

we're supposed to make shit bend to hip hop not have that shit ready made.

besides that, as stated before, hip hop ain't the only game in town. rmx became popular without a huge hip hop/r&b push, and became practically the tool to use in the huge market of scoring for film/tv, games, ads and jingles
Old 10th December 2008
Gear addict

Quote:
Madvillain and Tricky are hip hop to me
Old 10th December 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
That's why i post this on the Hip Hop forum

I agree that it might be cool for scoring/chillout/industrial stuff.. But for everything else

Had it since release. Used it alot on a tv show I just scored inagural season for and little on this urban straight to dvd film for mood pieces. Have yet to use it on a hip hop or r&b project except for a few of the "one hits" fx. eats alot of memory too.
Old 10th December 2008
Gear interested

Why not tweak it and try to do something it wasn't necessarily intended to do and make it hip hop? In the early 80's there was no "unit or sound module" made for hip hop it's the people that made it hip hop.

The Tr808 is a good example do you really think Roland had any idea that kids in the street were going to banging it out and make it what it is today?
Old 10th December 2008
Lives for gear

For 50 gig of harddisk space and the price, I would pick a couple of used hardware or softsynths.
Old 10th December 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farshad View Post
For 50 gig of harddisk space and the price, I would pick a couple of used hardware or softsynths.
word
Old 10th December 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYAMS View Post
there sick, best patches of any synth/vst out there... just not as hot as the ones I make... You wanna have hot sounds you gotta make your own.

Check out the omnisphere choirs... hot stuff.
thanks, i'll check them outthumbsup
Old 10th December 2008
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Modular View Post
Why not tweak it and try to do something it wasn't necessarily intended to do and make it hip hop? In the early 80's there was no "unit or sound module" made for hip hop it's the people that made it hip hop.

The Tr808 is a good example do you really think Roland had any idea that kids in the street were going to banging it out and make it what it is today?

A ****ing Men

Lavish
Old 10th December 2008
Lives for gear

the beauty of (real) hip-hop is that it uses ANY sound in the world. I've heard beats made from a singing saw (not the waveform, a real one ), now there's a non hip-hop tool for ya...
Sorry to the OP, but if scrolling through preset patches is your way of determining whether an instrument is "suited" for hip-hop, than I advise you to get some "Urban" sample CDs and take it from there.
You obviously don't have any idea about your own (characteristic) sound.
Old 10th December 2008
Lives for gear

Omnisphere is a synthesizer.It can generate pretty much any type of sound.
If you cant get a raw synthsound out of it you didnt even try.
Start with the default patch, choose a sawtooth and add some filtering and envelopes, add some effects etc. Its really not that hard.
Or change the osc type to sample and start looking for all the great synthsoundsources. The thing has hundreds of great multisamples of all kinds of classic synthesizers like mood, oberheim, roland etc.
If you cant work the synthparameters i would suggest that you get familiar with the browser and search for things like lead, bass, pad etc.
There are a ton of regular playable raw sounding synthsounds in omnisphere.
The thing comes with over 2000 presets and only half of them are in the ambient/movie genre.
I can understand that people get overwhelmed by the sheer amount of stuff thats in there.
Just dont make the mistake and go thru the list of presets alphabetically.
Use the categories and the search function to find the sounds you need.
Maybe Spectrasonics should add musical genres to the tag system to make it easier for people to find stuff that suits their style.
But then again-its always the people who break the rules that drive musical development forward.
Old 10th December 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Wu View Post
Omnisphere is a synthesizer.It can generate pretty much any type of sound.
If you cant get a raw synthsound out of it you didnt even try.
Start with the default patch, choose a sawtooth and add some filtering and envelopes, add some effects etc. Its really not that hard.
Or change the osc type to sample and start looking for all the great synthsoundsources. The thing has hundreds of great multisamples of all kinds of classic synthesizers like mood, oberheim, roland etc.
If you cant work the synthparameters i would suggest that you get familiar with the browser and search for things like lead, bass, pad etc.
There are a ton of regular playable raw sounding synthsounds in omnisphere.
The thing comes with over 2000 presets and only half of them are in the ambient/movie genre.
I can understand that people get overwhelmed by the sheer amount of stuff thats in there.
Just dont make the mistake and go thru the list of presets alphabetically.
Use the categories and the search function to find the sounds you need.
Maybe Spectrasonics should add musical genres to the tag system to make it easier for people to find stuff that suits their style.
But then again-its always the people who break the rules that drive musical development forward.
they need better presets
Old 10th December 2008
Lives for gear

Have you ever thought that maybe some of you just might not be creative enough to use Omnisphere in a hip hop setting??
Ive heard some amazing results using Omnisphere in hip hop.
Old 10th December 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillysoulman View Post
Have you ever thought that maybe some of you just might not be creative enough to use Omnisphere in a hip hop setting??
Ive heard some amazing results using Omnisphere in hip hop.
Old 10th December 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
word
Dude....ur having trouble tweaking Omnisphere, do you honestly think you could handle a Nord Lead/Modular/G2, Andromeda, JUNO or Moog????
Old 10th December 2008
Gear maniac

I couldn't disagree more with the title of this thread.....

Wait and see in '09, how it's going down
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search