Omnispehere unsuitable for Hip Hop/RnB production
#121
30th January 2009
Old 30th January 2009
  #121
Spectrasonics
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 373

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyotekells View Post
By only giving you software / license that runs on an Intel Mac.

Rocket science? no...
Nope....you get the full cross platform version.
#122
30th January 2009
Old 30th January 2009
  #122
Spectrasonics
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 373

Quote:
Originally Posted by solidstate View Post
Eric, I'm actually taking a few days off right now. I'm sooo looking forward to check my friend's studio again. However i wasn't complaining about the quantity or quality of the patches I was just saying that most of the sound I've heard IN OS were (IMHO) not easy to fit on the type of music i do(RnB/pop/crunk/southern hip hop). Sorry if i've post some harsh comments earlier. I didn't mean no disrespect. I just had high expectations with OS and I don't hide you i was disappointed with the factory patches. I'm gonna check the new sounds and report back. I hope there are a lot trance powerful leads, fat basses..
Cool!

You won't be disappointed! :-)
#123
30th January 2009
Old 30th January 2009
  #123
Lives for gear
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: NYC
Posts: 3,601

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectrum View Post
Sorry....you're wrong.

It's yes and yes. :-)
That is cool! Thanks. thumbsup

I maybe reaching, but will we be able to replace Trilogy patches with Trilian patches, including settings that are saved within a project?
#124
30th January 2009
Old 30th January 2009
  #124
Lives for gear
 
Joined: Mar 2003
Location: Cincinnati Ohio
Posts: 1,156

Oh. My. God. You guys weren't kidding when you added the 'Dance' category to the presets!

There are some ****ing ridiculous leads and synths in there.....fantastic work. I really think that you guys are finally proving that this instrument is NOT only for spacey textures and film score moods. Omnisphere is a SYNTH through and through!
#125
30th January 2009
Old 30th January 2009
  #125
Gear nut
 
Spy!'s Avatar
 
Joined: May 2005
Location: South London, UK
Posts: 127

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke View Post
I think I need this RE-confirmed. So basically ANYONE who has Trilogy gets it free? As long as they have an Intel Mac?
OK, just to clarify (and I do realise that you're the head honcho so you'll know best) but the original question (above) was does anyone who has Trilogy get the free update? The answer, according to your website (which I directly quoted from) was only those that have bought Trilogy in 2009, i.e. those that bought it before this year have to pay the $99.00 upgrade fee. So either your website is wrong or I was right.

As for the second question, I think I may have misinterpreted this to mean that only those with an Intel Mac are entitled to the free upgrade, in which case (again, if your website is correct) the answer is 'no' and I was still correct.

Sorry to be a pedant (and sorry for probably misinterpreting the second question) but if one doesn't clearly state what one means, it can lead to miscommunication and unnecessary accusations.

#126
30th January 2009
Old 30th January 2009
  #126
Lives for gear
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 1,365

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectrum View Post
Nope....you get the full cross platform version.
Sorry, I apologize for that.
I would be frustrated if someone was misrepresenting my product/service.
#127
30th January 2009
Old 30th January 2009
  #127
Gear interested
 
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 10

Well i got the plug in a messed with it for a while... for some reason i find myself getting easily board... maybe from the cheap noises when you go up to the highest octave... but maybe im expecting too much from it...

but i definately wasnt impressed at all... works for some and not for others... didnt do anything for me...

PMP Worldwide - The Future of Music Redefined
#128
30th January 2009
Old 30th January 2009
  #128
Spectrasonics
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 373

Sounds like you didn't spend enough time with it yet.

Make sure you get the latest updates and watch the tutorial videos.

How someone can get "easily bored" with nearly 7,000 sounds is a little beyond me. :-)

I'd encourage you to keep to going with it...there's obviously a ton that you haven't explored yet! :-)

Cheers,

spectrum
#129
30th January 2009
Old 30th January 2009
  #129
Spectrasonics
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Posts: 373

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spy! View Post
OK, just to clarify (and I do realise that you're the head honcho so you'll know best) but the original question (above) was does anyone who has Trilogy get the free update? The answer, according to your website (which I directly quoted from) was only those that have bought Trilogy in 2009, i.e. those that bought it before this year have to pay the $99.00 upgrade fee. So either your website is wrong or I was right.
It's really not complicated:

Everyone purchasing Trilogy in 2009 qualifies for the special free upgrade to Trilian.

All Intel Mac Trilogy users also qualify for the special free upgrade to Trilian.
#130
30th January 2009
Old 30th January 2009
  #130
Lives for gear
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 1,365

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectrum View Post
Sounds like you didn't spend enough time with it yet.
He's probably not a legit user, or just tried it on someone else's rig.

For me, anyways, when I drop ~$500 on new sounds or gear, I ALWAYS find a way to make it work for me. Even when disappointed by new gear or sounds, I still rock it hard till I get my moneys worth... which usually turns into liking or loving it, or at very least, feeling some sort of dependancy.

It's like people who still buy CDs.. they try to get their moneys worth out of it, and end up understanding what the album is all about.. where as people sharing mp3s tend to "skim" through things, and never really understand the bigger picture.
#131
31st January 2009
Old 31st January 2009
  #131
Gear maniac
 
BigAl's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 275

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectrum View Post
Yes....you could say that.

It's my company:
...and where is that bright smile that we are used to seeing for your avatar.
Even Eric is a gearslutz.
#132
31st January 2009
Old 31st January 2009
  #132
Gear Head
 
jaylistk's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyotekells View Post
He's probably not a legit user, or just tried it on someone else's rig.

For me, anyways, when I drop ~$500 on new sounds or gear, I ALWAYS find a way to make it work for me. Even when disappointed by new gear or sounds, I still rock it hard till I get my moneys worth... which usually turns into liking or loving it, or at very least, feeling some sort of dependancy.

It's like people who still buy CDs.. they try to get their moneys worth out of it, and end up understanding what the album is all about.. where as people sharing mp3s tend to "skim" through things, and never really understand the bigger picture.
Well said, my man!
#133
1st February 2009
Old 1st February 2009
  #133
Gear nut
 
Spy!'s Avatar
 
Joined: May 2005
Location: South London, UK
Posts: 127

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectrum View Post
It's really not complicated:
I neither said nor implied that it was.

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectrum View Post
Everyone purchasing Trilogy in 2009 qualifies for the special free upgrade to Trilian.

All Intel Mac Trilogy users also qualify for the special free upgrade to Trilian.
Er..., that's what I said. It's not available to all (i.e. 'anyone') as in the question, just Intel Mac users and PC users who buy it this year.

Trilogy (and probably Omnisphere, but I haven't used it yet) is a great programme and Trilian looks the nuts too. Personally, I'm looking forward to its release.
#134
1st February 2009
Old 1st February 2009
  #134
Gear Head
 
Joined: Oct 2008
Location: Finland
Posts: 53

+1 for the great free updates and can't wait to add Trillian to my collection. The Stylus RMX update looks fantastic too.
After a few months with Omnisphere I'll say that it is more than I thought it would be. Very versatile. I like what Spectrasonics is doing and how it goes about it's business.
#135
1st February 2009
Old 1st February 2009
  #135
Gear maniac
 
BigAl's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 275

Understand synthesis and create your own patches

The quality of the synth is what's important such as oscillators, filters and what can be modulated. It's not the patch. Presets just give you an general ideal for what the synth can do. It is not for anyone to totally rely on presets for his genre of music. The quality of the synth is there. Therefore, please create the right patch for your own composition. Presets are personal and it can be a love or hate thing.

From Hiphop tracks today, I hear trance gates working in the mix and supersaw waves programed from synths. A lot of this is what's normally heard from trance and techno. Producers now days are very talented and the quality from Omnisphere is going to make their tracks different in a good way.
#136
3rd February 2009
Old 3rd February 2009
  #136
Gear nut
 
wubbzy's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 136

LOVE the update!!!! Is there a way to "flag" patches as you go through? Or add them to a "favorites" list? There are so many sounds that I like while scrolling through them, that now, I can't remember what they were called.. It sucks trying to go through 6000 sounds to find that one. LOL Anyone know if there is a way? I guess I could write them down... Might be a nice feature to have in the next patch?

Keep up the great work Eric!
#137
3rd February 2009
Old 3rd February 2009
  #137
Lives for gear
 
Dr.Wu's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2004
Posts: 1,133

simply create a fav folder in your user folder of Omnisphere and save every patch that you like into it or add a keyword like fav to those patches and type that into the searchfield in the Omnibrowser.
#138
3rd February 2009
Old 3rd February 2009
  #138
Gear nut
 
wubbzy's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: Baltimore, MD
Posts: 136

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Wu View Post
simply create a fav folder in your user folder of Omnisphere and save every patch that you like into it or add a keyword like fav to those patches and type that into the searchfield in the Omnibrowser.

Ahh! Thanks!
Damn... why didn't I think of that? LOL Too early in the morning! (9am est). Thanks Dr.Wu!
LCP
#139
10th July 2011
Old 10th July 2011
  #139
LCP
Gear nut
 
Joined: Jul 2011
Posts: 76

so what vst then has all the most current and up to date hiphop/rnb presets
#140
10th July 2011
Old 10th July 2011
  #140
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 361

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCP View Post
so what vst then has all the most current and up to date hiphop/rnb presets

First of all, for the most part, hip hop is sample-based. This means that a lot of your favorite songs include parts that are sampled from other older songs.

Second of all, most people will tell you there is no such thing as a hiphop VST. Sonnivox makes a few that will have some sounds you might be interested in.

Native instruments also makes a few that are tailored to the urban scene.

Askin this kind of question shows you're young in the game. Keep grinding and find sounds to suit the song you are making. You have to listen and hear more than anything. Don't just throw sounds together that don't mesh.
LCP
#141
10th July 2011
Old 10th July 2011
  #141
LCP
Gear nut
 
Joined: Jul 2011
Posts: 76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guess Who View Post
First of all, for the most part, hip hop is sample-based. This means that a lot of your favorite songs include parts that are sampled from other older songs.

Second of all, most people will tell you there is no such thing as a hiphop VST. Sonnivox makes a few that will have some sounds you might be interested in.

Native instruments also makes a few that are tailored to the urban scene.

Askin this kind of question shows you're young in the game. Keep grinding and find sounds to suit the song you are making. You have to listen and hear more than anything. Don't just throw sounds together that don't mesh.
thanks. just noticed arturia has some kind of a hip hop vst also.

ive listened to a lot of sample based hip hop but im really new to all the synth stuff. ive had logic for about 6 months now and i started out making simple beats with samples but i really wanna move more towards that synth sound and also step my drum game up.


when i think of rnb i feel like a lot of the songs have similar synth sounds, like that detuned saw wave bass comes to mind. so i was wondering if there was a vst that didnt have a million of those weird filtered space banjo presets.i guess part of it is also knowing how to mix, like if i find a decent synth sound i really dont know what to do to make it sound wider, fuller or more energetic.
#142
10th July 2011
Old 10th July 2011
  #142
Gear maniac
 
BigAl's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 275

I will never judge a synth from presets.

I have been programming synth since the 90's and programming starts from powerful isolators. If the isolators are weak and they aliasing a lot, then the synth sucks. However, modulation is secondary. One thing about electronic music is that everyone must learn how to tweak the patches a little bit.

Spectrasonics makes some very great products. I never knew that people discredit a synth because of presets.
Hobbs_Won
#143
11th July 2011
Old 11th July 2011
  #143
Hobbs_Won
Guest
 
Posts: n/a

What is "good" for hip hop....

Dudes were making beats from $.25 dusty records in the clearance bin.....stuff that sold 100 copies total since the 60's...

That's the problem with hip-hop today.... people are trying to put it in a "box"....
#144
11th July 2011
Old 11th July 2011
  #144
Gear maniac
 
HeatWAVS's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: Saint Petersburg, FL
Posts: 256

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobbs_Won View Post
What is "good" for hip hop....

Dudes were making beats from $.25 dusty records in the clearance bin.....stuff that sold 100 copies total since the 60's...

That's the problem with hip-hop today.... people are trying to put it in a "box"....
amen! The worst thing is one someone with a new sound comes out everyone posts and asks "how do I get this sound?" lol

If you want to get a new sound try something new!!!
#145
11th July 2011
Old 11th July 2011
  #145
Lives for gear
 
jbrown1music's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: philadelphia
Posts: 665

I use omnisphere for hiphop all the time. Its just a synth. A lot of hiphop uses synths. Pads leads basses efx etc. Actually its my goto soft synth right with sylenth and alchemy.
#146
11th July 2011
Old 11th July 2011
  #146
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.
 
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 361

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobbs_Won View Post
What is "good" for hip hop....

Dudes were making beats from $.25 dusty records in the clearance bin.....stuff that sold 100 copies total since the 60's...

That's the problem with hip-hop today.... people are trying to put it in a "box"....

Yeah, it sucks, people need to start making more music that we can sample. If they can kind of leave the drums out and the vocals, it would be appreciated

J/k man, lol.
#147
11th July 2011
Old 11th July 2011
  #147
Gear nut
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Posts: 94

1. Omnisphere is marketed pretty strongly as a film/tv scoring type synth.

2. despite #1, I am hip hop producer and use omni quiet regularly over all my other available synths (including massive, absynth 4, that god dang reaktor, fm8, and thor in reason)

3. Omnispheres real strength comes with its surprising ease to make synths

4. Irony is the fact that the exact opposite of omnisphere is nexus, a big collection of nothing but "hip hop" sounds (aka a billion saws set on different various settings) and it gets thrashed for being so limited.

Disclaimer: i am not being paid by omnisphere in anyway shape or form (god i wish i was lol)
#148
11th July 2011
Old 11th July 2011
  #148
Gear maniac
 
BigAl's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2004
Posts: 275

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guess Who View Post
Yeah, it sucks, people need to start making more music that we can sample. If they can kind of leave the drums out and the vocals, it would be appreciated

J/k man, lol.
Hilarious!! ...LOL!!
Hobbs_Won
#149
11th July 2011
Old 11th July 2011
  #149
Hobbs_Won
Guest
 
Posts: n/a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guess Who View Post
Yeah, it sucks, people need to start making more music that we can sample. If they can kind of leave the drums out and the vocals, it would be appreciated

J/k man, lol.
yo...I got you dood....vocals, drums, bass, horns, etc .... ALL SEPARATE!!


trust me, once you hear this fiyah... you will wish you never sampled from vinyl ever...every one is royalty free CLUB BANGAZ

this is PERFECT for Hip Hop...

Instructions

1. set tempo in DAW/sequencer
2. load sections in whicherver kit you choose
3. record
4. upload to Soundclick

Now EVERYBODY can make 20 beats a day!
#150
17th December 2012
Old 17th December 2012
  #150
Lives for gear
 
FyLe ForMatz's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2012
Location: Seattle, WA
Posts: 903

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Sonya View Post
I see hip hop not as a genre but a mindset.
MAN...that's actually a DOPE way to look at it - i think you're right.
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
Crystal Mixing and Mastering / Rap + Hip Hop engineering & production
7
critical / High end
19
no ssl yet / So much gear, so little time!
0
jx23 / Rap + Hip Hop engineering & production
7
jx23 / Work In Progress / Advice Requested / Show & Tell / Artist Showcase / Mix-Offs
1

Forum Jump
 
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.