Omnispehere unsuitable for Hip Hop/RnB production
30th January 2009
Old 30th January 2009
Spectrasonics

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyotekells View Post
By only giving you software / license that runs on an Intel Mac.

Rocket science? no...
Nope....you get the full cross platform version.
30th January 2009
Old 30th January 2009
Spectrasonics

Quote:
Originally Posted by solidstate View Post
Eric, I'm actually taking a few days off right now. I'm sooo looking forward to check my friend's studio again. However i wasn't complaining about the quantity or quality of the patches I was just saying that most of the sound I've heard IN OS were (IMHO) not easy to fit on the type of music i do(RnB/pop/crunk/southern hip hop). Sorry if i've post some harsh comments earlier. I didn't mean no disrespect. I just had high expectations with OS and I don't hide you i was disappointed with the factory patches. I'm gonna check the new sounds and report back. I hope there are a lot trance powerful leads, fat basses..
Cool!

You won't be disappointed! :-)
30th January 2009
Old 30th January 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by spectrum View Post
Sorry....you're wrong.

It's yes and yes. :-)
That is cool! Thanks. thumbsup

I maybe reaching, but will we be able to replace Trilogy patches with Trilian patches, including settings that are saved within a project?
30th January 2009
Old 30th January 2009
Lives for gear

Oh. My. God. You guys weren't kidding when you added the 'Dance' category to the presets!

There are some ****ing ridiculous leads and synths in there.....fantastic work. I really think that you guys are finally proving that this instrument is NOT only for spacey textures and film score moods. Omnisphere is a SYNTH through and through!
30th January 2009
Old 30th January 2009
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke View Post
I think I need this RE-confirmed. So basically ANYONE who has Trilogy gets it free? As long as they have an Intel Mac?
OK, just to clarify (and I do realise that you're the head honcho so you'll know best) but the original question (above) was does anyone who has Trilogy get the free update? The answer, according to your website (which I directly quoted from) was only those that have bought Trilogy in 2009, i.e. those that bought it before this year have to pay the $99.00 upgrade fee. So either your website is wrong or I was right.

As for the second question, I think I may have misinterpreted this to mean that only those with an Intel Mac are entitled to the free upgrade, in which case (again, if your website is correct) the answer is 'no' and I was still correct.

Sorry to be a pedant (and sorry for probably misinterpreting the second question) but if one doesn't clearly state what one means, it can lead to miscommunication and unnecessary accusations.

30th January 2009
Old 30th January 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Nope....you get the full cross platform version.
Sorry, I apologize for that.
I would be frustrated if someone was misrepresenting my product/service.
30th January 2009
Old 30th January 2009
Gear interested

Well i got the plug in a messed with it for a while... for some reason i find myself getting easily board... maybe from the cheap noises when you go up to the highest octave... but maybe im expecting too much from it...

but i definately wasnt impressed at all... works for some and not for others... didnt do anything for me...

PMP Worldwide - The Future of Music Redefined
30th January 2009
Old 30th January 2009
Spectrasonics

Sounds like you didn't spend enough time with it yet.

Make sure you get the latest updates and watch the tutorial videos.

How someone can get "easily bored" with nearly 7,000 sounds is a little beyond me. :-)

I'd encourage you to keep to going with it...there's obviously a ton that you haven't explored yet! :-)

Cheers,

spectrum
30th January 2009
Old 30th January 2009
Spectrasonics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spy! View Post
OK, just to clarify (and I do realise that you're the head honcho so you'll know best) but the original question (above) was does anyone who has Trilogy get the free update? The answer, according to your website (which I directly quoted from) was only those that have bought Trilogy in 2009, i.e. those that bought it before this year have to pay the $99.00 upgrade fee. So either your website is wrong or I was right.
It's really not complicated:

Everyone purchasing Trilogy in 2009 qualifies for the special free upgrade to Trilian.

All Intel Mac Trilogy users also qualify for the special free upgrade to Trilian.
30th January 2009
Old 30th January 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Sounds like you didn't spend enough time with it yet.
He's probably not a legit user, or just tried it on someone else's rig.

For me, anyways, when I drop ~$500 on new sounds or gear, I ALWAYS find a way to make it work for me. Even when disappointed by new gear or sounds, I still rock it hard till I get my moneys worth... which usually turns into liking or loving it, or at very least, feeling some sort of dependancy.

It's like people who still buy CDs.. they try to get their moneys worth out of it, and end up understanding what the album is all about.. where as people sharing mp3s tend to "skim" through things, and never really understand the bigger picture.
31st January 2009
Old 31st January 2009
Gear maniac

Quote:
Yes....you could say that.

It's my company:
...and where is that bright smile that we are used to seeing for your avatar.
Even Eric is a gearslutz.
31st January 2009
Old 31st January 2009
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyotekells View Post
He's probably not a legit user, or just tried it on someone else's rig.

For me, anyways, when I drop ~$500 on new sounds or gear, I ALWAYS find a way to make it work for me. Even when disappointed by new gear or sounds, I still rock it hard till I get my moneys worth... which usually turns into liking or loving it, or at very least, feeling some sort of dependancy.

It's like people who still buy CDs.. they try to get their moneys worth out of it, and end up understanding what the album is all about.. where as people sharing mp3s tend to "skim" through things, and never really understand the bigger picture.
Well said, my man!
1st February 2009
Old 1st February 2009
Gear nut

Quote:
It's really not complicated:
I neither said nor implied that it was.

Quote:
Everyone purchasing Trilogy in 2009 qualifies for the special free upgrade to Trilian.

All Intel Mac Trilogy users also qualify for the special free upgrade to Trilian.
Er..., that's what I said. It's not available to all (i.e. 'anyone') as in the question, just Intel Mac users and PC users who buy it this year.

Trilogy (and probably Omnisphere, but I haven't used it yet) is a great programme and Trilian looks the nuts too. Personally, I'm looking forward to its release.
1st February 2009
Old 1st February 2009
Gear Head

+1 for the great free updates and can't wait to add Trillian to my collection. The Stylus RMX update looks fantastic too.
After a few months with Omnisphere I'll say that it is more than I thought it would be. Very versatile. I like what Spectrasonics is doing and how it goes about it's business.
1st February 2009
Old 1st February 2009
Gear maniac

Understand synthesis and create your own patches

The quality of the synth is what's important such as oscillators, filters and what can be modulated. It's not the patch. Presets just give you an general ideal for what the synth can do. It is not for anyone to totally rely on presets for his genre of music. The quality of the synth is there. Therefore, please create the right patch for your own composition. Presets are personal and it can be a love or hate thing.

From Hiphop tracks today, I hear trance gates working in the mix and supersaw waves programed from synths. A lot of this is what's normally heard from trance and techno. Producers now days are very talented and the quality from Omnisphere is going to make their tracks different in a good way.
3rd February 2009
Old 3rd February 2009
Gear nut

LOVE the update!!!! Is there a way to "flag" patches as you go through? Or add them to a "favorites" list? There are so many sounds that I like while scrolling through them, that now, I can't remember what they were called.. It sucks trying to go through 6000 sounds to find that one. LOL Anyone know if there is a way? I guess I could write them down... Might be a nice feature to have in the next patch?

Keep up the great work Eric!
3rd February 2009
Old 3rd February 2009
Lives for gear

simply create a fav folder in your user folder of Omnisphere and save every patch that you like into it or add a keyword like fav to those patches and type that into the searchfield in the Omnibrowser.
3rd February 2009
Old 3rd February 2009
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Wu View Post
simply create a fav folder in your user folder of Omnisphere and save every patch that you like into it or add a keyword like fav to those patches and type that into the searchfield in the Omnibrowser.

Ahh! Thanks!
Damn... why didn't I think of that? LOL Too early in the morning! (9am est). Thanks Dr.Wu!
LCP
10th July 2011
Old 10th July 2011
LCP
Gear nut

so what vst then has all the most current and up to date hiphop/rnb presets
10th July 2011
Old 10th July 2011
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCP View Post
so what vst then has all the most current and up to date hiphop/rnb presets

First of all, for the most part, hip hop is sample-based. This means that a lot of your favorite songs include parts that are sampled from other older songs.

Second of all, most people will tell you there is no such thing as a hiphop VST. Sonnivox makes a few that will have some sounds you might be interested in.

Native instruments also makes a few that are tailored to the urban scene.

Askin this kind of question shows you're young in the game. Keep grinding and find sounds to suit the song you are making. You have to listen and hear more than anything. Don't just throw sounds together that don't mesh.
LCP
10th July 2011
Old 10th July 2011
LCP
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guess Who View Post
First of all, for the most part, hip hop is sample-based. This means that a lot of your favorite songs include parts that are sampled from other older songs.

Second of all, most people will tell you there is no such thing as a hiphop VST. Sonnivox makes a few that will have some sounds you might be interested in.

Native instruments also makes a few that are tailored to the urban scene.

Askin this kind of question shows you're young in the game. Keep grinding and find sounds to suit the song you are making. You have to listen and hear more than anything. Don't just throw sounds together that don't mesh.
thanks. just noticed arturia has some kind of a hip hop vst also.

ive listened to a lot of sample based hip hop but im really new to all the synth stuff. ive had logic for about 6 months now and i started out making simple beats with samples but i really wanna move more towards that synth sound and also step my drum game up.

when i think of rnb i feel like a lot of the songs have similar synth sounds, like that detuned saw wave bass comes to mind. so i was wondering if there was a vst that didnt have a million of those weird filtered space banjo presets.i guess part of it is also knowing how to mix, like if i find a decent synth sound i really dont know what to do to make it sound wider, fuller or more energetic.
10th July 2011
Old 10th July 2011
Gear maniac

I will never judge a synth from presets.

I have been programming synth since the 90's and programming starts from powerful isolators. If the isolators are weak and they aliasing a lot, then the synth sucks. However, modulation is secondary. One thing about electronic music is that everyone must learn how to tweak the patches a little bit.

Spectrasonics makes some very great products. I never knew that people discredit a synth because of presets.
Hobbs_Won
11th July 2011
Old 11th July 2011
Hobbs_Won

What is "good" for hip hop....

Dudes were making beats from $.25 dusty records in the clearance bin.....stuff that sold 100 copies total since the 60's...

That's the problem with hip-hop today.... people are trying to put it in a "box"....
11th July 2011
Old 11th July 2011
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobbs_Won View Post

Dudes were making beats from $.25 dusty records in the clearance bin.....stuff that sold 100 copies total since the 60's...

That's the problem with hip-hop today.... people are trying to put it in a "box"....
amen! The worst thing is one someone with a new sound comes out everyone posts and asks "how do I get this sound?" lol

If you want to get a new sound try something new!!!
11th July 2011
Old 11th July 2011
Lives for gear

I use omnisphere for hiphop all the time. Its just a synth. A lot of hiphop uses synths. Pads leads basses efx etc. Actually its my goto soft synth right with sylenth and alchemy.
11th July 2011
Old 11th July 2011
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobbs_Won View Post

Yeah, it sucks, people need to start making more music that we can sample. If they can kind of leave the drums out and the vocals, it would be appreciated

J/k man, lol.
11th July 2011
Old 11th July 2011
Gear nut

1. Omnisphere is marketed pretty strongly as a film/tv scoring type synth.

2. despite #1, I am hip hop producer and use omni quiet regularly over all my other available synths (including massive, absynth 4, that god dang reaktor, fm8, and thor in reason)

3. Omnispheres real strength comes with its surprising ease to make synths

4. Irony is the fact that the exact opposite of omnisphere is nexus, a big collection of nothing but "hip hop" sounds (aka a billion saws set on different various settings) and it gets thrashed for being so limited.

Disclaimer: i am not being paid by omnisphere in anyway shape or form (god i wish i was lol)
11th July 2011
Old 11th July 2011
Gear maniac

Quote:
Yeah, it sucks, people need to start making more music that we can sample. If they can kind of leave the drums out and the vocals, it would be appreciated

J/k man, lol.
Hilarious!! ...LOL!!
Hobbs_Won
11th July 2011
Old 11th July 2011
Hobbs_Won

Quote:

J/k man, lol.
yo...I got you dood....vocals, drums, bass, horns, etc .... ALL SEPARATE!!

trust me, once you hear this fiyah... you will wish you never sampled from vinyl ever...every one is royalty free CLUB BANGAZ

this is PERFECT for Hip Hop...

Instructions

1. set tempo in DAW/sequencer
2. load sections in whicherver kit you choose
3. record
4. upload to Soundclick

Now EVERYBODY can make 20 beats a day!
17th December 2012
Old 17th December 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Sonya View Post
I see hip hop not as a genre but a mindset.
MAN...that's actually a DOPE way to look at it - i think you're right.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search