Omnispehere unsuitable for Hip Hop/RnB production
New Reply
Subscribe
22nd January 2009
Old 22nd January 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillysoulman View Post
The Mellotron didnt have "presets" per se.
The used pre recorded 8 second tape loops of recordings of live instruments.
If you held the keys too long you could hear the loop points.
It was very archaic by todays standards but "cutting edge" for the mid sixties.
Well, I would say that the mellotron flute is almost the definition of a preset, but yeah I see what you're saying. I think we all know what mellotrons are and how they work, I just meant to emphasize that it's a standard sound, unmodified and it is only magical in the context of a majestic song like "Strawberry Fields Forever."

I was agreeing with the person who said that the obsession with sonic novelty/programming is out of balance in the world of synthesizers. His point was that you don't have to be a synthesist to enjoy and find use in synthesizers. You just have to be a player.

- c
22nd January 2009
Old 22nd January 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Sonya View Post
Well, I would say that the mellotron flute is almost the definition of a preset, but yeah I see what you're saying. I think we all know what mellotrons are and how they work, I just meant to emphasize that it's a standard sound, unmodified and it is only magical in the context of a majestic song like "Strawberry Fields Forever."

I was agreeing with the person who said that the obsession with sonic novelty/programming is out of balance in the world of synthesizers. His point was that you don't have to be a synthesist to enjoy and find use in synthesizers. You just have to be a player.

- c
True.
23rd January 2009
Old 23rd January 2009
Spectrasonics

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYAMS View Post
Hey there, I am assuming you work at spectrasonics
Yes....you could say that. :-)

It's my company:

Spectrasonics - About Eric Persing

Quote:
so I wanted to confirm that mac intel users of trilogy will infact receive a free upgrade to Trilian.
Most definitely!

Just like it says on the site. Trilogy Intel Mac users get the brand new Trilian instrument on May 18th - with all the new features and the full new library too. We ship the product to you.

The only cost is that you'll just have to pay the shipping cost to have it delivered. The upgrade package itself is free as a way of saying thanks to all our Trilogy Intel Mac users who have had to wait such a long time for our STEAM Engine transition to be completed for the whole product line.

Gonna be a very good beginning of the year for Spectrasonics users indeed. :-)

Regarding the patch update for Omnisphere:

There are a bunch of new "dry" patches in next weeks update that are great for Urban production.

And Prince is using Omnisphere a ton on his new record too.....very cool stuff he's doing with it.

Cheers,

spectrum
23rd January 2009
Old 23rd January 2009
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to MYAMS Send a message via MSN to MYAMS
Quote:
Originally Posted by spectrum View Post
Yes....you could say that. :-)

It's my company:

Spectrasonics - About Eric Persing

Most definitely!

Just like it says on the site. Trilogy Intel Mac users get the brand new Trilian instrument on May 18th - with all the new features and the full new library too. We ship the product to you.

The only cost is that you'll just have to pay the shipping cost to have it delivered. The upgrade package itself is free as a way of saying thanks to all our Trilogy Intel Mac users who have had to wait such a long time for our STEAM Engine transition to be completed for the whole product line.

Gonna be a very good beginning of the year for Spectrasonics users indeed. :-)

Regarding the patch update for Omnisphere:

There are a bunch of new "dry" patches in next weeks update that are great for Urban production.

And Prince is using Omnisphere a ton on his new record too.....very cool stuff he's doing with it.

Cheers,

spectrum
Thank you Eric- great to hear it from the man himself!

I have heard great things about you as a sound designer outside of spectrasonics
23rd January 2009
Old 23rd January 2009
Gear maniac

Quote:

Most definitely!

I have a question. I bought Trilogy when I used a G5 as my DAW. I now use a Intel machine, Am I eligible for the free upgrade ?

Thanks

Lavish
23rd January 2009
Old 23rd January 2009
Spectrasonics

Yes you certainly are. :-)
23rd January 2009
Old 23rd January 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
PS. Yeah Dr. Dre might be qualified to be considered an OK Hip-Hop producer using Omnisphere like crazy now. ;-)
I can assure you that he's not the only one. but in hip hop, people try to keep their sound sources secret (unlike their hardware).

as an analogy: you will be able to find an articles, where producer X says that he used the XV5080 for the record, but he won't tell you which expansion card he used.

I like Omnisphere so far.
23rd January 2009
Old 23rd January 2009
Gear maniac

Quote:

Sweet!!!!

Lavish
23rd January 2009
Old 23rd January 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
whoa whoa whoa.......please explain this whole free upgrade eligibility!
23rd January 2009
Old 23rd January 2009
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to MYAMS Send a message via MSN to MYAMS
Quote:
Originally Posted by halcyo View Post
whoa whoa whoa.......please explain this whole free upgrade eligibility!
He already explained... a free upgrade for all mac users running an intel machine regardless of what they were using when they bought trilogy
23rd January 2009
Old 23rd January 2009
Lives for gear

Holy shitballs.... That's ridiculously generous....
27th January 2009
Old 27th January 2009
Spectrasonics

27th January 2009
Old 27th January 2009
Lives for gear

Holy shitballs.... That's ridiculously awesome (downloading now!)!
27th January 2009
Old 27th January 2009
Spectrasonics

OK Mr. Solidstate....now that all the new patches are available, what do you think?

6,891 factory sounds enough to keep you interested?

;-)
28th January 2009
Old 28th January 2009
Gear maniac

I've only played around with perhaps 10% of the Omni patches so far, and allready have enough ideas for the next two years - so with these extra new 2000 patches......... Oh god...

I'm stunned every single day, by the quality of this incredible software beast.
28th January 2009
Old 28th January 2009
Lives for gear

No kidding - this instrument is overload (in a good way!). You could get lost in there if you wanted to.

I think it's gonna be another BIG year for Spectrasonics in the music world. Methinks you'll be hearing alot of Omni and Trilian on the charts by the Fall.
28th January 2009
Old 28th January 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
OK Mr. Solidstate....now that all the new patches are available, what do you think?

;-)
That must feel good to respond to a compliant about not enough patches with a couple thousand new ones!

Eric, I think I'm a fan for life...
28th January 2009
Old 28th January 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub5 View Post
I don't have any experience with Omnisphere, but I would like to say a small word in defense of the original poster WRT wanting good presets.

It seems strange to me that just because a synth makes it possible to design your own instrument that there is some sort of moral duty to do so.

It's not like any real guitar player needs to know how to design a guitar in order to play one, or a pianist need to know how to design a piano. It's great that this flexibility is there in synthesizers, but I don't see anyhting wrong with a keyboard player who can tear it up on the keys, but couldn't program a patch to save his life. And really, from what I've seen, there's an inverse relationship between the ability to program a synth and the ability to actually play one.

A lot of great players just want something that they can plug in and lay down their ideas with, and I don't think there's anything wrong with that. I myself am a tweakhead (albino wut) but I would give up everything I've learned about programming synths in a second to be as good on the keys as someone like Ryan Leslie. Mediocre presets in the right hands and the right arrangement take on a whole new life.
I don't think your analogy is correct. A guitar player doesn't have to design the guitar, but he has to know what to do with the strings when he has it in his hands. No one's trying to get the O.P. to design the software from code, they are just saying that given the tools, one should know how to make them work.

My initial response when I read his post was, "of course it doesn't work for hip hop, 'cause it doesn't come with any pre-made songs that you can steal for free". And I work with a LOT of hip hop artists, so I can say that.
28th January 2009
Old 28th January 2009
Gear nut

Quote:
OK Kids:

Over 2000 new Omnisphere patches Available NOW!

Sonic State - News (Video Item) WNAMM09: Spectrasonics Omnisphere Upgrade Demo, A Selection Of The 2000 New Patches

Spectrasonics - Omnisphere Sound Update

Spectrasonics - Updates

And I think you will find TONS of great stuff in this update for Hip-Hop/R&B/Urban/Dance production.

Enjoy!

spectrum
Welp... I'm sold. After watching your demo video, and witnessing your customer appreciation/support, I'm picking this up today. I might get killed going out to get it (ice everywhere) but I'm going!

By the way, I absolutely loved the small piece you played at 8:17. I must have played that section a dozen times or so. Very nice. Keep up the good work!

The other thing that convinced me to go out and purchase this is that you guys seem to stand behind your customers. You easily could have charged for the 2000 patch upgrade, like most other companies do. Same goes for your free upgrade from Trilogy. Not many companies are willing to do things like that anymore. ESPECIALLY during this economic crisis we're in.
I hope other companies learn from you. This is how you win loyal customers that will keep coming back. Provide a product that does what it's supposed to do (and your's does it VERY WELL!), backed by a company that doesn't try to nickel and dime you to death that actually LISTENS to what it's users want.

As Halcyo said, I'm a fan for life! Thanks for speaking to us, Eric.
28th January 2009
Old 28th January 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Cheese View Post
How are you supposed to know you installed the patches correctly????

I installed the stuff and it gave me some errors while it was installing like "could not find arpeggiator bla bla bla.. " and I hit ignore..

Anyone else have this problem? Can someone let me know how you're supposed to tell you have all the new patches?
did you update to the latest omni also? make sure you are running the current version.
28th January 2009
Old 28th January 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wubbzy View Post
The other thing that convinced me to go out and purchase this is that you guys seem to stand behind your customers. You easily could have charged for the 2000 patch upgrade, like most other companies do. Same goes for your free upgrade from Trilogy. Not many companies are willing to do things like that anymore. ESPECIALLY during this economic crisis we're in.
I hope other companies learn from you. This is how you win loyal customers that will keep coming back.
Sorry sound like a dick, because this was never Eric's intention of course,

But the free upgrade to Trillium is the LEAST Spectronsonics can do after the terrible mess they left Trilogy users in at Intel upgrade time.

Users (with the wrapper) know how difficult it is to open old Trilogy sessions (U need to access it on a non-Intel, find the patch and user settings, write them down, go back to the Intel session, open the wrapper, manually setup the patch again).

Furthermore, many people told me the Wrapper doesn't work for them, either at all, or causes crackling and breakup and sketchyness in the session.
solidstate
28th January 2009
Old 28th January 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:

;-)

Eric, I'm actually taking a few days off right now. I'm sooo looking forward to check my friend's studio again. However i wasn't complaining about the quantity or quality of the patches I was just saying that most of the sound I've heard IN OS were (IMHO) not easy to fit on the type of music i do(RnB/pop/crunk/southern hip hop). Sorry if i've post some harsh comments earlier. I didn't mean no disrespect. I just had high expectations with OS and I don't hide you i was disappointed with the factory patches. I'm gonna check the new sounds and report back. I hope there are a lot trance powerful leads, fat basses..
28th January 2009
Old 28th January 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny Lavish View Post
I have a question. I bought Trilogy when I used a G5 as my DAW. I now use a Intel machine, Am I eligible for the free upgrade ?

Thanks

Lavish
I think I need this RE-confirmed. So basically ANYONE who has Trilogy gets it free? As long as they have an Intel Mac?
29th January 2009
Old 29th January 2009
Gear Head

29th January 2009
Old 29th January 2009
Gear nut

Send a message via Skype™ to Spy!
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke View Post
I think I need this RE-confirmed. So basically ANYONE who has Trilogy gets it free? As long as they have an Intel Mac?
No and no. See below for details:
Quote:
Trilian is set to be released May 18, 2009, the MSRP is $299US/€229Euro.

All Trilogy customers can upgrade to Trilian for $99US

There is also a special FREE upgrade offer for Trilogy customers on the Intel-Mac platform and for customers who purchase Trilogy in 2009*. Upgrades will be available exclusively through Spectrasonics online techshop.
30th January 2009
Old 30th January 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spy! View Post
I'm confused. It seems that you just confirmed the question in the affirmative. Yet you said "no."

Everyone who has Trilogy and an Intel-Mac gets it for free, right?

That seems to be what is said in the statement you clipped.

I am just such a person; but I wonder how they can confirm that you have an Intel-Mac?

- c
30th January 2009
Old 30th January 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
but I wonder how they can confirm that you have an Intel-Mac?

- c
By only giving you software / license that runs on an Intel Mac.

Rocket science? no...
30th January 2009
Old 30th January 2009
Spectrasonics

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke View Post
That's absolutely correct.
30th January 2009
Old 30th January 2009
Spectrasonics

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spy! View Post
Sorry....you're wrong.

It's yes and yes. :-)
30th January 2009
Old 30th January 2009
Spectrasonics

Quote:
I am just such a person; but I wonder how they can confirm that you have an Intel-Mac?

- c
Omniscient powers of course! ;-)
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search