Omnispehere unsuitable for Hip Hop/RnB production
Old 11th December 2008
Lives for gear
Ive been using Omnisphere in Hip-Hop and Pop productions ALOT. I personally enjoy that it has 'atypical' sounds for these genres - but that is sort of what these genres are all about in the end!

Keep in mind that Omnisphere is a full DSP synth as well - NOT JUST SAMPLES! I do agree that it would be cool for Spectrasonics to put out more patch banks showing off Omnisphere as a pure DSP synth, but there are plenty of patches in the current library that use these synth capabilities.

I suppose that just like any other instrument, it's gonna be different strokes for different folks, but I've always been inspired to use the 'cinematic/film score' approach of Spectrasonics instruments in unusual ways.
Old 11th December 2008
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma View Post
I couldn't disagree more with the title of this thread.....

Wait and see in '09, how it's going down
I agree...Omnisphere is a MONSTER instrument - so big that it really hasn't even begun to show off it's abilities yet. I think alot of creative people are eating it up and digesting it right now, waiting to unleash the beast...
Old 11th December 2008
Lives for gear

There should definitely be a patch-sharing upload/download forum. Like Native Instruments hosts for Reaktor users, etc.

It's kinda dumb that they're not doing this. it's such an obvious thing for a synth like Omnisphere.

- c

p.s. the hype has died down for this thing and people now realize that it's... just an instrument. An instrument with a particular feel. It's not fairy dust. The whole "it can make any sound in the universe!" thing was a little much...
Old 11th December 2008
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Sonya View Post
There should definitely be a patch-sharing upload/download forum. Like Native Instruments hosts for Reaktor users, etc.

It's kinda dumb that they're not doing this. it's such an obvious thing for a synth like Omnisphere.
Agree, Agree, Agree.....! I think it's crazy that they don't really have a user FORUM at all - just support pages and stuff. With all the people using Spectrasonics instruments, it would be a pretty healthy forum I'd wager.

Where's Eric Persing at?!
Old 11th December 2008
Lives for gear

I think Erics too busy makin new products and enhancing the old ones to bother running a userforum.
There is a new unofficial one dedicated to Omnisphere here
OmniTalk

still a bit quiet but i am sure it will develop over time and eventually take off.
They already have a subforum for exchanging presets.

That said- i am sure the next library update from Spectrasonics will satisfy even the most presethungry users.

Old 11th December 2008
Gear addict

i think there's a few more but you have to search.
Old 11th December 2008
Lives for gear
cool to see some forums popping up, but an official one would be best I would think (at least in terms of getting the biggest pool of people involved)...

Surely an internet savvy Spectrasonics fan could help them set up a user forum?
Old 12th December 2008
Gear nut

don't you think is all about creativity?

I don't have Omni but give it to me and I'll create bangin' hiphop with that. Just because it doesn't have the hottest-uptodate-mainstream presets, it still can be cool. Especially if you want to be original.

I can't stop using Atmosphere.
Old 12th December 2008
Lives for gear

yeah-it only has been out for 3 month now-by the time the big shots used it on their next releases all their fanboys will be jumping on the train to sound just like their idols.
Old 12th December 2008
Lives for gear

Ok OK points taken. I should have posted:

"Omnisphere PATCHES unsuitable for hip hop and RnB"(and pretty much anything else:-)

As said i'm not a tweak freak. I rather buy a synth with great patches and adjust the sound from there. I don't want to reinvent hip hop either..I just wanna do some good music and make some dough with it. Plus i ain't in the US no more. Japan is well behind. Like five years ago hip hop wise.(maybe ten lol)

Anyway thanks DR.WU and MYAMS for the good suggestions
Old 12th December 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dutch Master View Post
Dude....ur having trouble tweaking Omnisphere, do you honestly think you could handle a Nord Lead/Modular/G2, Andromeda, JUNO or Moog????
Don't dood me dawg. I was just saying that i wanted something with more usable patches.
Old 12th December 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by solidstate View Post
Don't dood me dawg. I was just saying that i wanted something with more usable patches.
Do you want it to breathe for you as well?
Old 12th December 2008
Lives for gear

My advice would be if you are serious about your music and want to make some money from it you should spend a little time learning the basics of synthesis. Omnisphere is actually the ideal tool for that.
Its really supereasy to get a good sound out of it for any genre.
You dont need to have a degree in rocket science for that.
All the basic facilities are right there in front of you. You just need to use it.

Or just wait a little more til the next patch update and take some weeks off after that to go thru all the patches that will come with it.
Old 12th December 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Dude....ur having trouble tweaking Omnisphere, do you honestly think you could handle a Nord Lead/Modular/G2, Andromeda, JUNO or Moog????
I would much rather tweak a moog then that thing bro
Old 12th December 2008
Gear Head

I say make it work .... Be original and come up with something new and don't follow trends and guidelines that have already been created.

I just fell in a creative trance as soon as I heard some of those demos of this thing. I mainly Produce Dubstep (tech-step and the more hard hitting stuff) and Some french touch electro and I can see myself making tons of dubstep, Trip hop and hip hop beats with this thing.

peace
Old 12th December 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYAMS View Post
I would much rather tweak a moog then that thing bro
Same.
I was just responding to his response ("word") to Farshad. If he really prefers hardware over software, he's in for a rude awakening.
Old 12th December 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Same.
I was just responding to his response ("word") to Farshad. If he really prefers hardware over software, he's in for a rude awakening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farshad View Post
For 50 gig of harddisk space and the price, I would pick a couple of used hardware or softsynths.

Me: word

Dutch boy take it easy..stike I might need to learn the art of synthesis but you need to learn the art of reading befor posting stupid unnecessary commentsfuuck
Old 12th December 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Wu View Post
My advice would be if you are serious about your music and want to make some money from it you should spend a little time learning the basics of synthesis. Omnisphere is actually the ideal tool for that.
All the basic facilities are right there in front of you. You just need to use it.

Or just wait a little more til the next patch update and take some weeks off after that to go thru all the patches that will come with it.
Ehy thanks! I think that might be a good idea to learn a bit more how to tweak synths The thing is that omnisphere look so complicated

Plus MYAMS keep pointing me toward the TI.... I don't know why but for some reason the TI GUI seems easier to navigate..? I might be wrong. Anyway Wednesday i'm gonna demo the TI. I let you guys know
Old 12th December 2008
Lives for gear

The TI has lots of knobs and buttons so it is more convenient to tweak no doubt.
But thats true for every piece of hardware vs any softsynth.

And of course Omnisphere is way more complex than the TI because of the fact that it offers more forms of synthesis has more complex mod routings, envelopes and effects.

But you could try things like the following in Omnisphere

find a patch in the synth categories that you like in terms of playability-then make sure that the oscillators are set to SAMPLE, hit the little folder icon left to the word (empty) and start browsing thru the list of sampled soundsources.
There is a ton of great analogtype synthwaveforms from all the classic synth in the Synthesizers category with TYPE set to analog tones.
You can instantly create hundreds of cool patches this way without even tweaking a single knob.
Do that with 2 layers and your options go thru the roof.
If you want to make easy variations of a patch that you like use the MAIN page to do that.
You can change the attack and release there and do some basic filtering.
Only if you want to you can go deeper.
Thats the beauty of the concept.
And watch the Tutorial videos and learn from the masters who made this thing.
Old 12th December 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:

WORD!!!
Old 12th December 2008
Lives for gear

Not to offend anyone,but from experience,I notice that a lot of hip hop/rap types are just to damn lazy to do anything that reqires more than using presets, or not willing to learn how to do so.
Just my observation.
Old 12th December 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillysoulman View Post
Not to offend anyone,but from experience,I notice that a lot of hip hop/rap types are just to damn lazy to do anything that reqires more than using presets, or not willing to learn how to do so.
Just my observation.
I don't think it's rap/hip hop, it's this entire gen wants immediate satisfaction without the work. That's the direction we're going it seems, and it works sometimes, other times you figure out there is only one way to do it. The old way.

Synths are easy. You have an osc or 2 that generate simple or complex waveforms. You have a filter and you have an envelope to shape the filter or the amplitude of the osc generated waveform. Sometimes you get more than that by way of modulation options, but it's the basic of every synth. I haven't looked at Omni, but I suspect they haven't reinvented the wheel.

Takes 2 seconds to change a long theatrical pad sound into a quick hitting stab by adjusting the attack and release. That's it. If you know one synth you know tham all.
Old 12th December 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoke View Post
I don't think it's rap/hip hop, it's this entire gen wants immediate satisfaction without the work. That's the direction we're going it seems, and it works sometimes, other times you figure out there is only one way to do it. The old way.

Synths are easy. You have an osc or 2 that generate simple or complex waveforms. You have a filter and you have an envelope to shape the filter or the amplitude of the osc generated waveform. Sometimes you get more than that by way of modulation options, but it's the basic of every synth. I haven't looked at Omni, but I suspect they haven't reinvented the wheel.

Takes 2 seconds to change a long theatrical pad sound into a quick hitting stab by adjusting the attack and release. That's it. If you know one synth you know tham all.
Afirmative!!
Old 12th December 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
The TI has lots of knobs and buttons so it is more convenient to tweak no doubt.
But thats true for every piece of hardware vs any softsynth.

And of course Omnisphere is way more complex than the TI because of the fact that it offers more forms of synthesis has more complex mod routings, envelopes and effects.

But you could try things like the following in Omnisphere

find a patch in the synth categories that you like in terms of playability-then make sure that the oscillators are set to SAMPLE, hit the little folder icon left to the word (empty) and start browsing thru the list of sampled soundsources.
There is a ton of great analogtype synthwaveforms from all the classic synth in the Synthesizers category with TYPE set to analog tones.
You can instantly create hundreds of cool patches this way without even tweaking a single knob.
Do that with 2 layers and your options go thru the roof.
If you want to make easy variations of a patch that you like use the MAIN page to do that.
You can change the attack and release there and do some basic filtering.
Only if you want to you can go deeper.
Thats the beauty of the concept.
And watch the Tutorial videos and learn from the masters who made this thing.
You get up to 9 hypersaws in omnisphere? Wavetable synthesis?

Theres definitely a lot to offer in the omnsiphere but comparing it to the TI is not legit if you ask me... Real synth with a great and original sound versus a sample based plugins with synthesis features.

Lotta cool stuff you can do with omnsiphere... but the "sound" is not there. Virus has a dark moody sound to it that cant be found elsewhere. Omnisphere's synths are thin and stale sounding before you process them.
Old 12th December 2008
Lives for gear

Dude-in case you didnt know the TI is just a sofftwaresynth as well.
Its not an analog synth!
And in Omni you can have 10 Oscillators per patch playing anykind of waveform-not only hypersaws.
Glad you are diggin the wavetables in the TI-i made a bunch of them!
The Virus TI is a cool instrument in its own right. The Atomizer is really hip and the filters sound sweet.
But the same is true for Omnisphere.
There is no aliasing in the oscillators, everything sounds crisp and fat and the filters and effects rock.
Saying that the sound is not there is just a very subjective statement.

edit
when isaid more complex it was in response to the OP who said that he found the interace of the TI rto look easier to handle then Omnispheres interface. I explained to him that it is more complex because it has more things to offer. f.e. You cant handle complex envelopes with a hardware gui-you need to use software for that.
Old 12th December 2008
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by MYAMS View Post
You get up to 9 hypersaws in omnisphere? Wavetable synthesis?

Theres definitely a lot to offer in the omnsiphere but comparing it to the TI is not legit if you ask me... Real synth with a great and original sound versus a sample based plugins with synthesis features.

Lotta cool stuff you can do with omnsiphere... but the "sound" is not there. Virus has a dark moody sound to it that cant be found elsewhere. Omnisphere's synths are thin and stale sounding before you process them.
Are we actually gonna diss either product like they're competitors or something?!

They are two fantastic tools that are unlike anything before them, and it's utter ridiculousness to get so defensive about it. People like different things - that's what makes the world go round!

Omnisphere is HARDLY a 'sample based plugin with synthesis features'. Do you own Omnisphere? There are some super deep synthesis capabilities in that thing - maybe you should look a bit closer!
Old 12th December 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Dude-in case you didnt know the TI is just a sofftwaresynth as well.
Its not an analog synth!
And in Omni you can have 10 Oscillators per patch playing anykind of waveform-not only hypersaws.
Glad you are diggin the wavetables in the TI-i made a bunch of them!
The Virus TI is a cool instrument in its own right. The Atomizer is really hip and the filters sound sweet.
But the same is true for Omnisphere.
There is no aliasing in the oscillators, everything sounds crips and fat and the filters and effects rock.
Saying that the sound is not there is just a very subjective statement.

Yes my preference is completely subjective... I don't care as much about "features" when choosing new equipment as how I like the sound of it and the general vibe I get. If it will inspire me to make great music I go for it- im not gonna just go for the synth with 10 oscillators per patch, feel me?

Despite everything I like about omnisphere... the effects were not one of them... Very mediocre.

Just because a synth isn't analog does not mean it doesn't have a certain sound or color- the same can be said about some higher end softwares synths.

I would be curious if you would post some great synth sounds you have made with omnisphere.
Old 12th December 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by halcyo View Post
Are we actually gonna diss either product like they're competitors or something?!

They are two fantastic tools that are unlike anything before them, and it's utter ridiculousness to get so defensive about it. People like different things - that's what makes the world go round!

Omnisphere is HARDLY a 'sample based plugin with synthesis features'. Do you own Omnisphere? There are some super deep synthesis capabilities in that thing - maybe you should look a bit closer!
not being defensive just conversing on GS man I think you re reading into things too closely...
Old 12th December 2008
Lives for gear
Ok, sorry to get mean then...thumbsup

I just thought you were making some awfully 'blanket' statements that were gonna be hard for you to back up with evidence, so I thought I'd save ya there!
Old 12th December 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by solidstate View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farshad View Post
For 50 gig of harddisk space and the price, I would pick a couple of used hardware or softsynths.

Me: word

Dutch boy take it easy..stike I might need to learn the art of synthesis but you need to learn the art of reading befor posting stupid unnecessary commentsfuuck
such as? I'm just being honest, sorry.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search