Motif - Reason Refill
VivaLaVinyl
19th August 2008
Old 19th August 2008
Gear nut

Motif - Reason Refill

Can anyone give me a heads up on which is the best Yamaha Motif refill for reason? Can't afford a Motif, but for my purposes, the refills would do the trick.

Thanks!
19th August 2008
Old 19th August 2008
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by VivaLaVinyl View Post
Can anyone give me a heads up on which is the best Yamaha Motif refill for reason? Can't afford a Motif, but for my purposes, the refills would do the trick.

Thanks!
I'd also like to know thumbsup
19th August 2008
Old 19th August 2008
Gear Head

why not just use reason sounds ,those motif refills are not the real thing

if you want a motif and you are hard on money

get one of these used :
motif rack
motif 6
MO6

or even a new MM6
19th August 2008
Old 19th August 2008
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by In Search of View Post

get one of these used :
motif rack
motif 6
MO6

or even a new MM6
not the real thing? why not? if u copy the sounds from the motif to a reason refill, how can it not be real man? haha
i remeber watching a interview of a producer saying he liked this one patch on the motif, i checked the refill and the patch was there and it was the same as what he said it was in the interview...
19th August 2008
Old 19th August 2008
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by lospat123 View Post
not the real thing? why not? if u copy the sounds from the motif to a reason refill, how can it not be real man? haha
i remeber watching a interview of a producer saying he liked this one patch on the motif, i checked the refill and the patch was there and it was the same as what he said it was in the interview...
is a poor copy of your Social Security Card the real thing.
19th August 2008
Old 19th August 2008
Gear addict

I have a motif as well as the motif refill and in my experience the refill isn't really the same. Sounds like they were sampled pretty well, but you lose the fx and some of the expressivness of the actual sound. That said, I'm not sure which version of the refill I have but it works for what it is. I use both depending on what I'm doing and what type of sound I want. Sorry, I know that didn't really answer your question.
19th August 2008
Old 19th August 2008
Gear maniac

Presumably, a lot of what makes a Motif an attractive instrument isn't just the sounds, it's also how it handles things like velocity and aftertouch, how the multisamples are scripted to respond. That is going to have a huge effect on how expressive the instrument is. Doing straight samples from the Motif won't transfer over those aspects of the keyboard.
19th August 2008
Old 19th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by In Search of View Post

get one of these used :
motif rack
motif 6
MO6

or even a new MM6
They are real, U just gotta add the right verb and delay and adjust the attack and decay knobs to get it really close to the real thing...... thats all
19th August 2008
Old 19th August 2008
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyflo View Post
They are real, U just gotta add the right verb and delay and adjust the attack and decay knobs to get it really close to the real thing...... thats all
i agree, not even the verb and delay sometimes i just tweak the release. i use to have the motif hardware but i sold it
19th August 2008
Old 19th August 2008
Lives for gear

they r not the same.

worked on a project recently where they had motif sounds for exs in logic. was not happy with the 2D flatness. got to my spot w/ yamaha motif xs6 and we replaced the sounds and it was like night n day. Cant believe a reason refill will sound any better than the sound engine in logic.

honestly for those of u who have never owned/used hardware synths use the refill/samples.
20th August 2008
Old 20th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyflo View Post
wrong -- because these banks sample presets -- which already have the effects -- all in all -theyre no good for this reason as you are 'trapped'
20th August 2008
Old 20th August 2008
Lives for gear

Agreed...

I use to wonder why hardware keyboard manufacturers would often advertise such small ROM (less than 100mb) amounts.

I guess that you don't really need gigabytes of raw sample data in ROM if the patch is actually programmed well.

There goes another "reason" (pun intended) why hardware is often times a better investment.

Especially when you can get older rack modules dirt cheap on ebay or craigslist these days.
20th August 2008
Old 20th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolout View Post
Agreed...

I use to wonder why hardware keyboard manufacturers would often advertise such small ROM (less than 100mb) amounts.

I guess that you don't really need gigabytes of raw sample data in ROM if the patch is actually programmed well.

There goes another "reason" (pun intended) why hardware is often times a better investment.

Especially when you can get older rack modules dirt cheap on ebay or craigslist these days.
they loop the sounds.

this is an issue where i think the super duper 40G patch on a sampler/soft synth could be much more effective (if they did the loop thing) sounds/samples would load instantly.
20th August 2008
Old 20th August 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by VivaLaVinyl View Post

Thanks!
As already said the hardware stuff will always sound a lot better.

But if you can only afford samples right now i suggest you do a ebay Search for, Yamaha Motif ES Samples Sound Reason Refill WAV 25+GB
The Sellers name is recordingselite

I have the ESX24 version, as far as sample packs go there very good.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search