Dbx 160 x or Aphex 651 Expressor
larrygates
Thread Starter
#1
19th June 2008
Old 19th June 2008
  #1
Gear maniac
 

Thread Starter
Dbx 160 x or Aphex 651 Expressor

which HW comp should I go for?

dbx 160 X or Aphex 651 Expressor.

Both are old models, nothing new about them.
#2
19th June 2008
Old 19th June 2008
  #2
Gear addict
 
parkay909's Avatar
 

What are you using it for? The Aphex stuff is very suspect and mainly works for filling empty spaces in your rack. The aphex stuff seems to work bet when it isnt hooked up.

FMR is the only cheap compressor that is good for multi-purpose stuff.

The DBX will sound great on kick drums and well kick drums...
larrygates
Thread Starter
#3
19th June 2008
Old 19th June 2008
  #3
Gear maniac
 

Thread Starter
Never heard nothing bad about the Aphex 651 Expressor. It's "great" on bass, and also vocals, and guitars. dbx 160 x, vox, snare, kick, dunno what else it would work on.

But, I'm going to use either one in a vocal chain. The expressor again is great on bass, so I've heard.

Not sure about the "aphex" suspect. Maybe the new gear aphex is bad. Dunno.
Quote
1
#4
19th June 2008
Old 19th June 2008
  #4
Gear addict
 
parkay909's Avatar
 

At all the spots I have worked at and when I was an undergrad - we used the Aphex gear as doorstops and paperweights. The old stuff is awful, the new stuff has a warranty and is awful.
larrygates
Thread Starter
#5
19th June 2008
Old 19th June 2008
  #5
Gear maniac
 

Thread Starter
Why did you even reply to this post. You're not making sense. And your tone is annoying.

I guess all I can sift from your "I think Aphex is bad" is to get the dbx 160 x.

Thanks, but steer clear next time, it's taxing to read what you've wrote.
Quote
1
#6
19th June 2008
Old 19th June 2008
  #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by parkay909 View Post
At all the spots I have worked at and when I was an undergrad - we used the Aphex gear as doorstops and paperweights. The old stuff is awful, the new stuff has a warranty and is awful.
The Aphex 612 gate was one of the best gates ever made.
Quote
1
larrygates
Thread Starter
#7
19th June 2008
Old 19th June 2008
  #7
Gear maniac
 

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by thethrillfactor View Post
The Aphex 612 gate was one of the best gates ever made.
Thank you for a legible post. By what you're saying you have no exp with the 651 compressor then?

It's alright, I may just go with the Aphex since everyone has a dbx. Don't hear much about the 651 and it has lots of extras in it's circuitry.

Thanks.
Quote
1
#8
19th June 2008
Old 19th June 2008
  #8
Lives for gear
 
Stitch333's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thethrillfactor View Post
The Aphex 612 gate was one of the best gates ever made.
the 651 is a good, clean workhorse compressor too.
The 160 has a bit more tooth and character but just as usable.
Quote
1
#9
19th June 2008
Old 19th June 2008
  #9
Lives for gear
 
Lipps's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thethrillfactor View Post
The Aphex 612 gate was one of the best gates ever made.
doublethumbsup

The 651 is solid as well.
Quote
2
#10
19th June 2008
Old 19th June 2008
  #10
Lives for gear
 
terrytee's Avatar
 

My vote is for the 160, great sounding lots of character.
larrygates
Thread Starter
#11
20th June 2008
Old 20th June 2008
  #11
Gear maniac
 

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitch333 View Post
the 651 is a good, clean workhorse compressor too.
The 160 has a bit more tooth and character but just as usable.
Do you mean the 160 x does that snap thing when you abuse the tres and attack knob? I have no idea what it does on vocals (during recording not post recording). I would imagine that it's a tighter sound than my mushy dbx 166 compressor I have now.

I hope the Aphex isn't in the same category.

Thanks.
#12
20th June 2008
Old 20th June 2008
  #12
Lives for gear
 
Black Seal's Avatar
 

160x

I would go for the 160X just for the character alone. It's great for reeling in peaks and controlling average levels. It will add some tone that the aphex comps won't. I have 2 Aphex compellors and 1 Dominator, and they are not my first choice for adding character as the compellors are transparent. Besides, sounds like 'Parkay' hasn't tried the dominator on sub freq. It kicks **s! I'd take a few Dominator doorstops anyway.
Quote
1
larrygates
Thread Starter
#13
22nd June 2008
Old 22nd June 2008
  #13
Gear maniac
 

Thread Starter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Seal View Post
I would go for the 160X just for the character alone. It's great for reeling in peaks and controlling average levels. It will add some tone that the aphex comps won't. I have 2 Aphex compellors and 1 Dominator, and they are not my first choice for adding character as the compellors are transparent. Besides, sounds like 'Parkay' hasn't tried the dominator on sub freq. It kicks **s! I'd take a few Dominator doorstops anyway.
Thanks Black Seal. I ended up getting both. Your compellors are newer right? But I probably want to look into the dominator, since I used a Behringer Low end thingy. It was great, and a lot better than plug in versions of this effect. It's funny how even the 1000 dollar plugs really don't sound anything like. . . say a cheap analog compressor. They just have so much more balls and attitude to them. Plug ins def better for super transparent sound though.

Can't wait to get both in my hands. Oh and I picked up a dbx type I noise reduction. Does wonders for the overall structure of any sound source, including full 2 tk mixes.
Quote
1
#14
3rd July 2010
Old 3rd July 2010
  #14
I happen to own 4 651's they are very good non character compressors, very clean and very versatile, If you're talking about a 160 xt I say go for the aphex.
Parkay 909 what ever you learned in school about aphex gear you learned wrong.
Quote
1
#15
3rd July 2010
Old 3rd July 2010
  #15
Lives for gear
 
Marshall Oliver's Avatar
 

I only have experience with the Dbx 160s and I loved them on alot of different things. Bass was killer though, I loved the way it gave that bite I wanted.
#16
3rd July 2010
Old 3rd July 2010
  #16
Lives for gear
 
Rednose's Avatar
 

I have both. I would go for the DBX.
The Aphex has a lot of parameters and is harder to use on the fly.
The DBX is quick and dirty.
I use the DBX 160VU, and 903s for rap all the time.
They work great.
#17
3rd July 2010
Old 3rd July 2010
  #17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rednose View Post
I have both. I would go for the DBX.
The Aphex has a lot of parameters and is harder to use on the fly.
The DBX is quick and dirty.
I use the DBX 160VU, and 903s for rap all the time.
They work great.
I have a client who is a novice to recording who is using a 651 on her vocals while recording, if you cant use a 651 you need to do something else than recording music. Yes it has more knobs, it sounds better and is more versatile.
I used to have 160's, I still have 160s which is a different animal
#18
4th July 2010
Old 4th July 2010
  #18
Lives for gear
 
viewing's Avatar
anybody doing hip-hop ever try the ashly sc-50? seems to get decent reviews. woah, old thread!
7+1
#19
4th July 2010
Old 4th July 2010
  #19
7+1
Lives for gear
 
7+1's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by parkay909 View Post
What are you using it for? The Aphex stuff is very suspect and mainly works for filling empty spaces in your rack. The aphex stuff seems to work bet when it isnt hooked up.

FMR is the only cheap compressor that is good for multi-purpose stuff.

The DBX will sound great on kick drums and well kick drums...
you are kidding right? the dbx is good on a lot of things my man man...

i have many on many comps and for the 5th time in the last two months... the dbx won over the summit, vari-mu... and the distressor... so... maaaaaybeeee.... its just a opinion your your part.... and mine...

let me ask you something... is the ssl on your avitar yours? or do you work on an ssl?? if so... how many time do you use the on board comp? because its pretty much the EXACT same thing as a 160..
#20
4th July 2010
Old 4th July 2010
  #20
Lives for gear
 
CJ Mastering's Avatar
 

Im partial to the Aphex. As this is a very subjective thread. But my vote is for the Aphex on this one.

As I said, its up to personal taste, so take what we say with a grain of salt and good luck on what ever you get.

CJ
#21
4th July 2010
Old 4th July 2010
  #21
Lives for gear
 
Rednose's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musiclab View Post
I have a client who is a novice to recording who is using a 651 on her vocals while recording, if you cant use a 651 you need to do something else than recording music. Yes it has more knobs, it sounds better and is more versatile.
I used to have 160's, I still have 160s which is a different animal
Im just saying it has a lot more parameters and not as easy to tweek on the fly.
If you have a budget session with tons of overdubs, the 160 is more set it and forget it.
And I DO this for a living. Im not a part timer, I rawk 6-7 days a week in my studio. Its my day job.

To the OP, getting both is a great idea, they sound very different.
I have the 9651s, but Im sure its simialr to the rack.
#22
5th July 2010
Old 5th July 2010
  #22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rednose View Post
Im just saying it has a lot more parameters and not as easy to tweek on the fly.
If you have a budget session with tons of overdubs, the 160 is more set it and forget it.
And I DO this for a living. Im not a part timer, I rawk 6-7 days a week in my studio. Its my day job.

To the OP, getting both is a great idea, they sound very different.
I have the 9651s, but Im sure its simialr to the rack.
Sure it has more knobs, it's way more versatile. It's not rocket science.
#23
5th July 2010
Old 5th July 2010
  #23
Lives for gear
 
Rednose's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musiclab View Post
Sure it has more knobs, it's way more versatile. It's not rocket science.
still, I find it hard to use. It is very transparent, so I feel it tends to over limit if your not careful with it.
Not like the DBX, where you can hear it grab, then you can back off the threshold.
Maybe its because I don't have my dog running my studio like you do
I should, I have a rednose.
#24
5th July 2010
Old 5th July 2010
  #24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rednose View Post
still, I find it hard to use. It is very transparent, so I feel it tends to over limit if your not careful with it.
Not like the DBX, where you can hear it grab, then you can back off the threshold.
Maybe its because I don't have my dog running my studio like you do
I should, I have a rednose.
Set it to a low threshold not to fast attack and release, easy. You need the dog
running your studio, they hear things we can't
#25
5th July 2010
Old 5th July 2010
  #25
Lives for gear
 
Rednose's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Musiclab View Post
Set it to a low threshold not to fast attack and release, easy. You need the dog
running your studio, they hear things we can't
I'm going to give it a try today.
Usually when I use it on vox, it squares of the wav files, so I'll set a lower threshold.
I also have the 9651 ( the 9000 rack version) the the knobs are on top of each other. Kind of hard to get my fat fingers in there.

I've got vocals all week, I'll give it a shot with less threshold and slower attack.

For what its worth, I use them all the time on Overheads and they work great!
#26
25th July 2011
Old 25th July 2011
  #26
Lives for gear
 
dickiefunk's Avatar
 

Hi,

I'm really interested in both of these compressors and will be using it for vocal tracking with either a UA Solo 610 or Focusrite ISA One preamp.

One of my goto vocal mics has been the AT4047 (which I've been borrowing) and I may end up getting either one of these or a CAD E100s or Neumann TLM102.

Which of these compressors would you recommend to add to my chain for vocal tracking?
#27
25th July 2011
Old 25th July 2011
  #27
Lives for gear
 
mowmow's Avatar
I'd choose DBX160x.
I saw Robert John Mutt Lange use it for tracking BG vocals when I was assisting.
#28
25th July 2011
Old 25th July 2011
  #28
Lives for gear
 
dickiefunk's Avatar
 

The 651 is said to be a very transparent compressor so how does the 160x sound compare?
#29
25th July 2011
Old 25th July 2011
  #29
Gear addict
 
Caramel's Avatar
Was experimenting with parallel compression with the 160A today . Which I never really do. It really sounds amazing on kick drums. Works great on rap vocals. You may not need versatility. maybe just what works great for hip hop. Drums ,bass and raps. This is where the DBX 160 shines.
#30
25th July 2011
Old 25th July 2011
  #30
Gear nut
 
osomusicent's Avatar
 

I have a dbx 160xt and its awesome for rap vocals that need to be aggressive. I usually dont even compress with it but I use it for its character on alot of songs. Really mellow or lovely dovey stuff isnt as suited for it but all trap stuff, grimey hip hop, etc its the way to go.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 
 
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
bleen / Gearslutz Secondhand Gear Classifieds
7
mmatrix / Gearslutz Secondhand Gear Classifieds
0
kcmoonshine / Gearslutz Secondhand Gear Classifieds
4
StefanM / Gearslutz Secondhand Gear Classifieds
1
Coldsnow / Gearslutz Secondhand Gear Classifieds
4

Forum Jump
 
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.