Korg "nano" controllers
New Reply
Subscribe
cynic one
15th June 2008
Old 15th June 2008
Lives for gear

Korg "nano" controllers

These look sick for the laptop gang...sucks that they don't have midi-out, but i guess with the size that's cool. I'd like to rock that little nanoKEY with my MPC1k.

Quote:
nanoKEY: 25 keys, transmitting either as MIDI notes or (via a separate mode) Control Change (CC) messages. Octave shift (natch). Pitch, modulation. And it’s supposed to be velocity-sensitive, too, although we’ll have to get our hands on one to see how sensitive it is.

nanoPAD: 12 pads, supposedly inheriting the terrific sensitivity and feel of the padKONTROL, which is pretty much the favorite pad controller round these parts. Chord Trigger. Control Change mode (as with nanoKEY). There’s even an X/Y touch pad with roll and flam mode, favorite features of the padKONTROL.

nanoKONTROL: 9 faders, 9 knobs, 18 switches, transport controls. (No, really.) MIDI notes, 168 CC messages. There are even attack and decay times for the switches, allowing them to work as faders, filter controls, effects settings, and the like – something I’d love to see on other (full-sized) controllers.
More here:

Create Digital Music » Korg nanoKEY, nanoKONTROL, nanoPAD: Super Tiny MIDI Keyboard, Controller, Pads
15th June 2008
Old 15th June 2008
Gear addict

15th June 2008
Old 15th June 2008
Lives for gear

thumbsup

Wonder when they'll start shipping...
15th June 2008
Old 15th June 2008
Gear Head

unless your sampling... that keyboard looks like it sucks ass. what real beat could you make with that unless its that 3 key flop.
15th June 2008
Old 15th June 2008
Gear Head

those are cute toys
15th June 2008
Old 15th June 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastdon100 View Post
unless your sampling... that keyboard looks like it sucks ass. what real beat could you make with that unless its that 3 key flop.
???

Perhaps you could use modern technology? They have these things called sequencers and DAWs and computers these days. You should check them out. They're pretty cool.

- c
16th June 2008
Old 16th June 2008
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to tonymission
Quote:
Originally Posted by lastdon100 View Post
dont be a clown. ive made some pretty sick beats with the qwerty keyboard and logic ...

i want to try that keyboard ... would be perfect for the macbook unless it was just completely shit. i just need something that's velocity sensitive so i dont have to go back through and do manual edits when im on the road tutt
22nd June 2008
Old 22nd June 2008
Lives for gear

23rd June 2008
Old 23rd June 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Cheese View Post
That thing looks like them little 10 dollar electric battery powered pianos from 1993 you could buy at the disney store.. Sure you could make beats on that.. but common. When you get in the groove you don't want to be stuck playing on a cereal box you wanna have as many keys as possible so you can experiment octaves without having to press buttons. If you don't play piano and you just make some beats then maybe that works for you.
you're missin the point man... i got fantoms (G6), tritons, etc ...

i got keys.

im also on the go more often, or WANT to be able to strike anywhere...

this is perfect for that.

nothing else.

my beats are "ok" -- id love to hear your symphony concertos sometime lol
25th June 2008
Old 25th June 2008
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonymission View Post
you're missin the point man... i got fantoms (G6), tritons, etc ...

i got keys.

im also on the go more often, or WANT to be able to strike anywhere...

this is perfect for that.

nothing else.

my beats are "ok" -- id love to hear your symphony concertos sometime lol
yeah, those keys would be perfect for producers like me that's always on the go. i don't need a giant ass midi keyboard to make music n plus i think the chicks wuld dig it if i pull out a mini keyboard with my laptop and start sequencing some 808s that'll knock their skirts off.
6th December 2008
Old 6th December 2008
Gear addict

Send a message via AIM to ether88
I ordered all three of them for Xmas. Pretty excited to use w/ Reason, Logic and dj rig. The very few videos on youtube seem interesting.

I can make beats in lecture hall now with them
7th December 2008
Old 7th December 2008
Gear addict

they are all awesome. I have all 3 and i'm very happy with the purchase, for $50 a pop you can't go wrong.
8th December 2008
Old 8th December 2008
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by diggin24seven View Post
plus i think the chicks wuld dig it if i pull out a mini keyboard with my laptop and start sequencing some 808s that'll knock their skirts off.
Ha ha, best quote I've seen on here in ages
17th December 2008
Old 17th December 2008
Gear nut

I just purchased the nanopad and it is perfect for me..

easy installation ( vista 64 recognized it without a driver)

great sturdy feel to the pads..an editor to adjust sensitivity, the ability to assign chords to the pads, and my favorite the x-y pad for rolls , flams, etc.

It even comes with an ableton coupon and ez drummer light ( niether of which I need..but for $60 waht the heck...)

I'll probably get the keyboard controller next( I lost my oxygen 8 to vista 64).. I am not a real player so these are great for desk real estate....
cpu
17th December 2008
Old 17th December 2008
cpu
Gear addict

Send a message via AIM to cpu
I bought a nanoKontrol to use with Ableton when i go to my gf's place....
I brought it back cuz it wasn't acting right and got a different one..
Got it home, and it works PERFECT!
I'm actually pretty pleased with this thing...I actually just bought a Trigger Finger for this exact purpose, but i might just take it back and get the nanoPad.
It took my like 30 seconds to get the nanoKontrol mapped out exactly like i wanted it, then i was off making some bass sickness. Very happy.
17th December 2008
Old 17th December 2008
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to jikky
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpu View Post
I bought a nanoKontrol to use with Ableton when i go to my gf's place....
I brought it back cuz it wasn't acting right and got a different one..
Got it home, and it works PERFECT!
I'm actually pretty pleased with this thing...I actually just bought a Trigger Finger for this exact purpose, but i might just take it back and get the nanoPad.
It took my like 30 seconds to get the nanoKontrol mapped out exactly like i wanted it, then i was off making some bass sickness. Very happy.
Dam I could get all 3 and leave em at my gal house too. They so cheap that it wouldn't be an issue. I already have a Novation 25Remote SL Compact for travel, but hmmm I could just bring my laptop. Sounds interesting. Now I just need a DAW with no dongle. Mobile excellence. I could see this being a hit a midi production schools with such a small footnote.
17th December 2008
Old 17th December 2008
Gear maniac

The nanoKONTROL has only 9 faders. If your project has 24 tracks, how do you use the nK to control the other 15 tracks?
17th December 2008
Old 17th December 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Left Headphone View Post
The nanoKONTROL has only 9 faders. If your project has 24 tracks, how do you use the nK to control the other 15 tracks?
Im assuming just the same "page over" concept that everything else employs.

Nice to see positive reviews on these ... I'm gonna check it out... anyone know how the Kontrol works in Logic?
msl
18th December 2008
Old 18th December 2008
msl
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Got a nanokey today on demo. Its waaaaay too flimsy man. Has problems when playing fast, misses keys, etc. I really wanted this to work, be a little bit better built. I would gladly pay more so I knew it wasn't gonna break the minute I put it in my backpack. Maybe the other two are better built and have better action.

michael-lovatt.com
soundcloud
19th December 2008
Old 19th December 2008
Gear maniac

Quote:

Nice to see positive reviews on these ... I'm gonna check it out... anyone know how the Kontrol works in Logic?
Cool. I'll wait 6 months and hopefully it will be half price.
19th December 2008
Old 19th December 2008
Gear addict

Quote:

not well from what i've heard.
19th December 2008
Old 19th December 2008
Lives for gear

nanoKontrol (& trading presets??)

Hey I got one of these: the nanoKontrol. Its the one with transport buttons, plus I think 18 other buttons, 9 faders and 9 knobs. Its really pretty damn nice for the price. This model made perfect sense for me because I already have a midi keyboard controller, and a midi drum pad controller (Akai MPD 16). So now I can have all the extra controls to use with either one. Plus, I think (ESPECIALLY WITH PADS!) objects primarily used to play notes require a higher level of quality to be usable. You can't really mess up faders, buttons and knobs all that bad when you're only payin $50 or whatever!

It also has a "Scene" button, which lets the controller switch between 4 seperate presets, basically. There are seperate scene midi channel controls, and seperate midi channel controls for each "frame," if you will (a set of slider, knob and two buttons), and there is also a seperate one for the transport controls.

There is a 1st party official editing program to store and change the parameters. Not super easy to use, but it gets the job done. I mean, ya, the sliders (and maybe even a bit the knobs) seem kinda flimsy, but for just a quickie backup device or augmenter for home studio production, I really like it so far. Now we just have to see how long it lasts!

*P.S.: if anyone else has this nanoKontrol and wants to trade homemade presets, please PM me here or write it in your reply!! It takes a while to do it. For example, I have a setup with all the knobs and sliders CC#'s in numerical order, so its easy to see what you're doing when your mapping. I have one set up so each scene control every single parameter on one of Ableton Live's impulse slots, plus lots of global controls for live! Also, I made a Midi-Ox patch I can trade too that will automatically change the channel of the non-global midi commands, so you could start controlling the last four pads of an instance of Impulse too!!
10th February 2009
Old 10th February 2009
Gear interested

I have both Nano Keys and Nano Kontrol. The latter is much better quality and works nicely on top of my StudioLogic SL990XP which is a little scarce on sliders. The nanokeys I have actually works pretty well although I have had friends go through 3 of them are have gotten tired of returning the lot to the store. I wonder if the 2nd gen. black ones are better constructed. Mine works but seems to be rare....I wonder if I got Jordan Rudes' model?
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search