Login / Register

shure sm7b or Pearlman TM2? Vocal Sample inside.
View Poll Results: Which of the following would suit me?
Pearlman TM2
2 Votes - 15.38%
Shure SM7B
8 Votes - 61.54%
Get Both
2 Votes - 15.38%
Neither, save your money
1 Votes - 7.69%
Another mic:
0 Votes - 0%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

New Reply
Subscribe
Docmattic
26th May 2008
Old 26th May 2008
Lives for gear

I got bored at work yesterday and started reading about the Pearlman tm-2. You guys in this section give a lot of good advice so i try to get it when i can.

I read that the tm2 has alot presents in the mids (among everythingelse), much to my recollection like an sm7b. My voice is midrangey so i figured i ask if anyone thinks id suit either mic?

I have attached a vocal sample. THe first little freestyle is through the nevish channel of my jlm baby animal, and the second is through the apiish channel.

Signal chain is: At3035(neutralish)>JLM BA> MMP2 (everything bypassed but the compressor)

So chuck me your oppinon. what do you think would be best?

here the sample: http://www.gearslutz.com/board/attac...oice-tests.wav
28th May 2008
Old 28th May 2008

The TM2 does not sound like an SM7...

Are you looking for an SM7 type of sound? An SM7 is a lot cheaper...
Gear Sales - High Profile Audio
Plugin Deals - PluginDiscounts
PluginDiscounts Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/PluginDiscounts
PluginDiscounts Twitter: https://twitter.com/PluginDiscounts
Docmattic
28th May 2008
Old 28th May 2008
Lives for gear

Yeh, it is alot cheaper, i just have no idea what the pearlman will sound like, that is really my problem. Ive emailed Dave though, he seems like he wants to help, not just sell me the mic, which is good.

I could always buy the sm7b first, and if i didnt like it could easy sell it for near what i bought it for... pearlmans name isnt soo well renowned yet.

But i dont know what to do, thats why i asked, i was really looking to get an idea how the pearlman sounded and if people didnt think it would suit i would get an sm7. I appreciate your help Tony.
29th May 2008
Old 29th May 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docmattic View Post
Yeh, it is alot cheaper, i just have no idea what the pearlman will sound like, that is really my problem. Ive emailed Dave though, he seems like he wants to help, not just sell me the mic, which is good.

I could always buy the sm7b first, and if i didnt like it could easy sell it for near what i bought it for... pearlmans name isnt soo well renowned yet.

But i dont know what to do, thats why i asked, i was really looking to get an idea how the pearlman sounded and if people didnt think it would suit i would get an sm7. I appreciate your help Tony.
Putting both mics aside... what kind of sound are you looking for?
Docmattic
29th May 2008
Old 29th May 2008
Lives for gear

there are 3 sounds ive always liked:

1 the sound where its detailed, a little rough and agressive, but it has this sheen over the top. (im sorry thats the best i can describe it) Similar to the newer fredro starr sound or flipsyde (the rapper) but my voice wont always be that harsh

2 i like the sound nice big thick rich and smooth sound. like some MF doom songs, some styles of beyond

3 or a low-mid, mid range presence where it is very thick and juicy with tame highs and supporting lows.

I can normaly work with all 3 of those sounds. Im not looking to sound like the people i mentioned, I was just using them to help best describe the sound.
29th May 2008
Old 29th May 2008

What preamps will you be using?
Docmattic
29th May 2008
Old 29th May 2008
Lives for gear

I have a jlm baby animal 2.

One channel is "very nevish"
and the other channel is "api like" (very present mid range, the lows arnt quite as prominant as the neve-style)
both have fairly smooth highs

They have rave reviews and i havent heard a thing bad about them.

for what it is worth, I have 4 rockwoll basetraps around my work area as some form of treatment. Looking at getting somthing like the se reflection filter to help as well.
Docmattic
31st May 2008
Old 31st May 2008
Lives for gear

bump
31st May 2008
Old 31st May 2008

OK... one last question. Do you do a lot of vocal stacking?
Docmattic
1st June 2008
Old 1st June 2008
Lives for gear

i have normaly have 1 main, 2 backups paned 30-5 left and right( 1 either side) and 2 more, at about 60 left and right ( 1 either side). the stacks at 30 are normaly copies of the main track, then the pans at 60 are re inforcement.

but it varies as u know.

cheers
1st June 2008
Old 1st June 2008

I think an SM7 could work out pretty well... I personally would opt for a Peluso 47 LE. But, the SM7 is cheap and worth a shot.
Docmattic
1st June 2008
Old 1st June 2008
Lives for gear

Thanks Tony! $1800 is a fair stack of money though. I'll see if the sm7 works first. I was tempted to ask you about your experience with the re20, but i should probably use the search button

What do you think about the summit audio tla50 compared to the dbx 160 in the vocal chain: sm7b>jlm(neve or api like)> compressor.

Even if you dont answer, Thanks for helpin me Tony, i appreciate your advice a lot.
1st June 2008
Old 1st June 2008
Lives for gear

JLM pres are a good match with the SM7
There isnt much condenser "sheen" with an sm7 but like EV mics , it has a nice punchy mid range . Its hard not to get a usable vocal out of the SM7 .
They need a lot of gain though , and they are popular so just sell it if you dont like it .
1st June 2008
Old 1st June 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docmattic View Post
Thanks Tony! $1800 is a fair stack of money though. I'll see if the sm7 works first. I was tempted to ask you about your experience with the re20, but i should probably use the search button

What do you think about the summit audio tla50 compared to the dbx 160 in the vocal chain: sm7b>jlm(neve or api like)> compressor.

Even if you dont answer, Thanks for helpin me Tony, i appreciate your advice a lot.
RE20 is equally good and much less discussed.... sometimes better for those who want to hold the mic in their hand.

The TLA50 is a good compressor... I have it's big brother TLA100 which is AWESOME, but they don't share much in common circuitry wise (with the 100 using both tube and discrete op amps in the output stage). I think the 160 if you want really fast compression and the TLA if you want a smoother compression. They are certainly usable and will do the job... But the thing with compression, is that you really need to spend a lot of money to get a really good compressor... They are usually even more expensive than a good preamp on a per channel basis. Things start at the $1k price point and only go up from there.

Any more questions and I'm charging you.
Docmattic
2nd June 2008
Old 2nd June 2008
Lives for gear

thanks Tony, youve been a great help! Appreciate your knowledge
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search