how does leasing beats work?
New Reply
Subscribe
djclueveli
19th May 2008
Old 19th May 2008
Gear nut

how does leasing beats work?

how does this work? do you get the tracks seperate when u try to get a leased beat from another producer or do they just let u use the mp3? also if u use the leased version and then someone purchase the beat for exclusive right, can that person who purchased it come after u because u used the beat when u bought the lease version?
19th May 2008
Old 19th May 2008
Lives for gear

There are no rules.. whatever you negotiate.

Most rappers leasing beats are on some low end tip, and don't even want the tracks if it was offered!! (LOL).

But every situation is different.. it's whatever you agree on.

BTW, the best way to lease beats is like this: (and some people are doing this very successfully, such as YESSIR's Kajmir Royale)

Tell rapper the beat is exclusive (for him only, and costs much more than leasing)

He buys it.

Do the same thing to the next rapper, with the same beat.

Keep selling that exclusive beat over and over.. then move city's (or do it over the net the whole time).

Gotta love those "Exclusive" SoundClick sales, meng!
21st February 2010
Old 21st February 2010
Lives for gear

*BlowingDustOfThisThread*

An unsigned artist is asking me to lease him one of my tracks...

Does anybody have expirience with that kind of agreement?
21st February 2010
Old 21st February 2010
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to azwun25 Send a message via Yahoo to azwun25
Quote:
Originally Posted by coyotekells View Post

Most rappers leasing beats are on some low end tip, and don't even want the tracks if it was offered!! (LOL).

BTW, the best way to lease beats is like this: (and some people are doing this very successfully, such as YESSIR's Kajmir Royale)

Tell rapper the beat is exclusive (for him only, and costs much more than leasing)

He buys it.

Keep selling that exclusive beat over and over.. then move city's (or do it over the net the whole time).

Ummm. Thats pretty grime dude. I'm sure it happens more often than not but advocating it is just..I don't know.
21st February 2010
Old 21st February 2010
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyotekells View Post

He buys it.

i bought a beat for him man he lets u lease too if u want . but he is not unsigned tho so get at his label if he did u or someone u know shady. i never had a problem with him though .
21st February 2010
Old 21st February 2010
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by djclueveli View Post
how does this work? do you get the tracks seperate when u try to get a leased beat from another producer or do they just let u use the mp3? also if u use the leased version and then someone purchase the beat for exclusive right, can that person who purchased it come after u because u used the beat when u bought the lease version?
the problem with leasing u dont own the beat so u cant sell as much as want. they usaully put a limit on how many units u can sell. keep your credit card statements and recipts as evidence too if somone questions you.
21st February 2010
Old 21st February 2010
Lives for gear

I think you got something wrong here slutz!

This thread is from 2008 and the BOLD TEXT is the current problem

It's me wanting to know if any of you producers ever leased a beat and what the expiriences are with that?
21st February 2010
Old 21st February 2010
Gear maniac

happens 90% of the time for me.
You get some quick cash, keep full rights on your beat, sometimes the artist will send you the full track back but 99% of the time you're just selling beats to lil kids who just thought you beat was cool.
Deleted #29527
21st February 2010
Old 21st February 2010
Deleted #29527

Selling a beat/song to somebody non exclusive means, you can´t sell it to somebody else exclusively again (unless you "buy back" the track from the non exclusive client).

Usually, an a list artists will not be interested in material that several other artists already released.

I don´t really like the concept of selling music to a large amount of clients for a small price in order to make as much money as possible.
You will have your name attached to a huge number of bad or mediocre products that you will usually not benefit from in the long run.

Fortunately, we don´t sell pork sides or shoes. Music is art and should be treated like that. Try to make something great, that will withstand the test of time and that will be benefitial to your reputation and your career.

Most of the clients you attract with a cheap product like that will have a carreer shorter than a one hit wonder. I understand the hustle behind it, however, the 20$ non exclusive beat hustle is not for me.
21st February 2010
Old 21st February 2010
Lives for gear

The idea is to sell beats on a non-exclusive basis so that you can sell them to other people as well. Some people put certain restrictions (that are nearly impossible to enforce) like they can only sell a certain number of copies before they have to pay again, or other restrictions.

There are a few reasons to lease beats:

a) sell beats so many times at cheap prices that it winds up adding up to a lot of money. In my personal opinion, *almost* nobody makes a noticeable chunk of change per year doing this. I flirted with leasing beats for cheap and the reality is that it just wasn't worth the time/effort for the money.

b) Sell beats to so many horrible artists that eventually you get lucky and one of them blows up and your particular track gets radioplay and/or the artist gets signed and they decide to release your tune on the album. This happening is also incredibly rare as the vast majority of artists that are even good enough to make a ton of noise or get signed aren't going to record high enough quality over a leased beat for it to be picked up by the label.

c) You can't get anyone to pay you enough for an exclusive beat so if it's gonna be $20 max, you might as well just do it non-exclusive anyway.

So there is an upside and a downside to leasing beats. You have to figure out if it makes sense for you.
Three international #1 hit radio singles
Me: www.vonpimpenstein.com | Studio: www.feistychicken.com | Facebook: www.facebook.com/chriscarterproducer
MIX RATES: Standard major label $700, Standard indie/unsigned $299(temporary price from $550), Promo $49-$99
21st February 2010
Old 21st February 2010
Gear interested

leasing beat equal = waste of money
21st February 2010
Old 21st February 2010
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

technically the only beat i ever sold, er, 'leased' was recently to my guy for half price on some bubble gum. he told me he leased like 150 beats online for 50 bucks from some dude on some bulk buy ish lol.
21st February 2010
Old 21st February 2010
Lives for gear

I don't lease, I license. Nothing is exclusive, i have rights to relicense as much as I like, unless we make an agreement otherwise, which will involve more money.
21st February 2010
Old 21st February 2010
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to MYAMS Send a message via MSN to MYAMS
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealSon View Post
Selling a beat/song to somebody non exclusive means, you can´t sell it to somebody else exclusively again (unless you "buy back" the track from the non exclusive client).

Usually, an a list artists will not be interested in material that several other artists already released.

I don´t really like the concept of selling music to a large amount of clients for a small price in order to make as much money as possible.
You will have your name attached to a huge number of bad or mediocre products that you will usually not benefit from in the long run.

Fortunately, we don´t sell pork sides or shoes. Music is art and should be treated like that. Try to make something great, that will withstand the test of time and that will be benefitial to your reputation and your career.

Most of the clients you attract with a cheap product like that will have a carreer shorter than a one hit wonder. I understand the hustle behind it, however, the 20$ non exclusive beat hustle is not for me.
word up playa Its the difference between a career and cheap hustle
21st February 2010
Old 21st February 2010
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.

Send a message via AIM to mgthefuture
Quote:
Originally Posted by brandon10 View Post
leasing beat equal = waste of money
I disagree. You can record a whole project for 250$ via soundclick, sell about 250 copies, and what...x5 your investment.

Just alot of people dont have the hustle.

People i meet, fortunately love to lease and try new ideas, and got the whole self made celebrity thing going on.

And in good cases, i can still use the beat for my own artists, or shop to bigger situations such as publishing.

Its good all around.
21st February 2010
Old 21st February 2010

Send a message via AIM to mgthefuture
Quote:
Originally Posted by MYAMS View Post
word up playa Its the difference between a career and cheap hustle
Well in todays climate, you got lets say 1000 good producers trying to make it a career. Only 10 of which will have releases over the year. And out of those releases only 3 of them is seeing real money. Everyone else is lucky to end the year with what..50k in the bank...Thats "career" album placement mode. I only used 1000 as a number to show you the chances of a typical career for music....not very likely.

Now use the same figure of the top 10 on soundclick, with each making 1k-5k (minimum) a month, with that number fluctuating month to month beat to beat... thats about 50k a year as well. And allows you to persue the "major career" and other opportunities as well.

so if you did both..you double your chances.

I'm not seeing the logic in NOT leasing. No one on this forum is selling beats that are being releases 10 times or more a year to disagree with the model of leasing...
22nd February 2010
Old 22nd February 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRACKPIPE View Post
I don't lease, I license. Nothing is exclusive, i have rights to relicense as much as I like, unless we make an agreement otherwise, which will involve more money.
"lease" is hip-hop slang for "non-exclusive license". It's the same thing. Why it's called a "lease" is beyond me... probably because there's a lot of idiots in hip-hop.
22nd February 2010
Old 22nd February 2010
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgthefuture View Post
...Now use the same figure of the top 10 on soundclick, with each making 1k-5k (minimum) a month, with that number fluctuating month to month beat to beat... thats about 50k a year as well...

MG where are you getting those numbers? Are you just guessing, estimating, or do you know this for a fact? I'm not challenging, just wondering.
22nd February 2010
Old 22nd February 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris carter View Post
"lease" is hip-hop slang for "non-exclusive license". It's the same thing. Why it's called a "lease" is beyond me... probably because there's a lot of idiots in hip-hop.
You mean, they're are way more idiots in pop. 99% of these soundclick and myspace producers label their music hip-hop until you play their music and hear the fizzy ass synths. It's a sad day when you got people so called producing music and they don't even know what genre their music is. Case in point, the guys that post in this section. The "Drum Kit" crew.
22nd February 2010
Old 22nd February 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
hahaha

22nd February 2010
Old 22nd February 2010
Gear nut

Idk why this hasn't been moved or something but...

DON'T LEASE BEATS.

Kind of a rant.. buying beats is better in every way. Sure it costs more, but you have to invest in this. People will sell leases for $20 bucks, so imagine how many people are buying that beat.

Idk about you but I don't like the idea of other people using the beat I have.

And most serious producers will not sell leases. Only SC producers, and if the beats are worth buying anyway that means its from the producers on top of the charts and that means a thousand other people will have the same beat you do.

What if you would get signed or something and you want to use the song that uses the beat you leased, but the producer already sold exclusive rights? You're stuck.

Also, you can only sell a certain amount of copies of whatever your leased beat is on.

Exclusives are better in every way. The beat is YOURS and only yours. Plus it's better for quality purposes too.

I guess it's an opinion though.
22nd February 2010
Old 22nd February 2010
Gear addict

First post here and very stupid question (sorry) but: I see on place like soundclick that peoples sell exclusive beats with unlimited copy sales. Does this mean that they will not ask any writing share on the release ?

If a beat you sold 200 is used in a song that ends sellings 100'000 copies, how do you deal with this ?
22nd February 2010
Old 22nd February 2010
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgthefuture View Post
I disagree. You can record a whole project for 250$ via soundclick, sell about 250 copies, and what...x5 your investment.

Just alot of people dont have the hustle.

People i meet, fortunately love to lease and try new ideas, and got the whole self made celebrity thing going on.

And in good cases, i can still use the beat for my own artists, or shop to bigger situations such as publishing.

Its good all around.
but what are u trying to do with it make a mixtape, album, and demos. its good for demos.if im making an album u would want to own everything you have on your cd so can sell it for how long and how many copies u want . theirs always i catch with a lease
22nd February 2010
Old 22nd February 2010
Gear interested

thumbsup
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caine419 View Post

DON'T LEASE BEATS.

Kind of a rant.. buying beats is better in every way. Sure it costs more, but you have to invest in this. People will sell leases for $20 bucks, so imagine how many people are buying that beat.

And most serious producers will not sell leases. Only SC producers, and if the beats are worth buying anyway that means its from the producers on top of the charts and that means a thousand other people will have the same beat you do.

What if you would get signed or something and you want to use the song that uses the beat you leased, but the producer already sold exclusive rights? You're stuck.

Also, you can only sell a certain amount of copies of whatever your leased beat is on.

Exclusives are better in every way. The beat is YOURS and only yours. Plus it's better for quality purposes too.

co sign everything u said
22nd February 2010
Old 22nd February 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caine419 View Post

DON'T LEASE BEATS.

I have a problem with the terminology "lease" but there's nothing wrong with non-exclusive licensing agreements. What I don't like are the $20 "leases".

I'm licensing a beat right now, non-exclusive, for a significant amount. Of course out of respect I wont re license it but I could if I wanted to.

The problem is not the details in the license agreement. It's people who don't know what they are doing, don't even know ****ing language of business, selling way under market value. I don't give a ****, though. to each their own. as the cliche goes, ima do me!
22nd February 2010
Old 22nd February 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRACKPIPE View Post
hahaha

Evidentally, you're laughing at your own stupidity. Here's the defintion for the word "Lease".

a. A contract granting use or occupation of property during a specified period in exchange for a specified rent.

No who's the idiot. Non-Exclusive Contract means the same thing It seems that some of those same "Hip-Hop" idiots are smarter than the average.
22nd February 2010
Old 22nd February 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyMike View Post
Evidentally, you're laughing at your own stupidity. Here's the defintion for the word "Lease".

a. A contract granting use or occupation of property during a specified period in exchange for a specified rent.

No who's the idiot. Non-Exclusive Contract means the same thing
Oh my god, you got me, but you didn't really, lol..

Different business use different terminology. I haven't ever used the word lease used in music before the selling of "beats". It was already established that the terminology is synonymous but I guess you didn't read the thread.

Everybody knows what the word lease means but it's funny that's the level, intellectually, that you try and correct.

What are you, the village moron around here?
22nd February 2010
Old 22nd February 2010
Lives for gear

A "lease" is technically the exclusive us of something (car, house, equipment) for a specified period of time for a specified price (usually a rate per day/week/month/year/etc.)

A "non-exclusive license" could in theory take the same form as a lease, but very very rarely does. in the beat-making world (which they call a "lease") is the non-excluisve use of a beat that is limited only by the number of copies sold without regard for how long the individual can use it. Although I've seen some where the beat-maker can later sell it exclusively and then the original non-exclusive licensees must cease use of the beat (which isn't really enforceable... lol).

So a "lease" and a "non-exclusive license" are two different things. But apparently when you smoke enough weed your vision gets so blurry that they become the same thing. It's kind of like how guys "sell" a beat when they place it with an artist. They aren't really "selling" it (or they'd BETTER not be). They are selling the copyright in the sound recording and issuing a mechanical license for the composition.... unless they are stupid, then they sell both (doh!)
22nd February 2010
Old 22nd February 2010

Quote:
A "lease" is technically the exclusive us of something (car, house, equipment) for a specified period of time for a specified price (usually a rate per day/week/month/year/etc.)

A "non-exclusive license" could in theory take the same form as a lease, but very very rarely does. in the beat-making world (which they call a "lease") is the non-excluisve use of a beat that is limited only by the number of copies sold without regard for how long the individual can use it. Although I've seen some where the beat-maker can later sell it exclusively and then the original non-exclusive licensees must cease use of the beat (which isn't really enforceable... lol).

So a "lease" and a "non-exclusive license" are two different things. But apparently when you smoke enough weed your vision gets so blurry that they become the same thing. It's kind of like how guys "sell" a beat when they place it with an artist. They aren't really "selling" it (or they'd BETTER not be). They are selling the copyright in the sound recording and issuing a mechanical license for the composition.... unless they are stupid, then they sell both (doh!)
B.S. A non-exclusive contract is whatever you choose to make it. If you put certain clauses in their then that's up to you. Officially, their is no difference. A lease can also have clauses in it. For instance, you renting a apartment but it says that you can't have any pets. It's your contract so it's your choice if you want to limit the amount of units able to be sold etc. It doesn't have to be specified in the contract unless you put it there. I see why so people people in the industry are getting f**ked. They have absolutely not idea how to write a business contract. If you don't know what the heck you're talking about, please don't go around spreading the wrong information to the masses. Seriously.
22nd February 2010
Old 22nd February 2010
Gear addict

Send a message via AIM to ether88
Quote:
I see why so people people in the industry are getting f**ked. They have absolutely not idea how to write a business contract. If you don't know what the heck you're talking about, please don't go around spreading the wrong information to the masses.
seriously... thats all chris does isnt spread terrible information..
your post are amusing to say the least, the ways you continue to create non-valid arguments from BS is beyond me...

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search