What Is Chord Progression?
Old 14th July 2008
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregohb View Post
Right. a guy who doesn't even know what a chord is, and you are commending jazz chords? Try starting with folk songs from school, and graduate up to the Beatles or other pop songs. You can search for "tabs" - there are many sites on the web, and then look up popular songs from all kinds of artists, and get the chords from those.
Actually, I'm teaching myself piano from the Mark Levine books recommended above by Spacecho. I tried starting with really simple kid-type piano books, which while not a bad way to start, gets a little tedious- I can only take so many ****ing nursery rhymes! On the other hand, I find the that the Levine books (and probably other Jazz piano books) can provide some pretty quick gratification, partly because of all the chord theory. Plus, the way I produce (and probably lots of posters on here), I can make use of jazz chord theory without really being a proficient player (although, of course I aspire to get there eventually ).
Old 15th July 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucey View Post
Is "doper" a word now?

The OP was in the 9th grade BTW ...
Not a word you'd understand obviously. I'm sure he understood.

Doper. More Dope, as in better than he is now.

It's the hip hop thing.

I wouldn't expect you to understand
Old 15th July 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by beat you down View Post
o wow a serious reply...
i was joking ofcourse.

but... i don't produce, i make beats.
That's actually the first time I've ever heard a beat-maker differentiate the two.

Not saying that either one is "higher up" than the other but most beat-makers think making the beat is all it takes to "produce" a hot song. Some producers think they're great beat-makers when they're not.

For the record, I'm a producer/writer who happens to make my own "beats"...
Old 15th July 2008
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trell Blaze View Post
That's actually the first time I've ever heard a beat-maker differentiate the two.

Not saying that either one is "higher up" than the other but most beat-makers think making the beat is all it takes to "produce" a hot song. Some producers think they're great beat-makers when they're not.

For the record, I'm a producer/writer who happens to make my own "beats"...

Out here, we're Beat Head's. Beat Maker sounds like some sort of cooking utensil.
Old 15th July 2008
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucey View Post
Is "doper" a word now?

The OP was in the 9th grade BTW ...
I too was wondering this. Wouldn't it be "More Dope"?

On a serious note:

Take a music theory class somewhere. It's wise to have that kind of background, regardless your position or desired position in the world of music.

Last edited by BlueSprocket; 15th July 2008 at 05:47 AM.. Reason: Thought I should be constructive
Old 15th July 2008
Lives for gear

dope
doper
dopested
Old 15th July 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by greeny_green View Post
Actually, I'm teaching myself piano from the Mark Levine books recommended above by Spacecho. I tried starting with really simple kid-type piano books, which while not a bad way to start, gets a little tedious- I can only take so many ****ing nursery rhymes! On the other hand, I find the that the Levine books (and probably other Jazz piano books) can provide some pretty quick gratification, partly because of all the chord theory. Plus, the way I produce (and probably lots of posters on here), I can make use of jazz chord theory without really being a proficient player (although, of course I aspire to get there eventually ).
You wanna really learn buy this book

http://www.amazon.com/Pop-Piano-Book.../dp/0793598788

If you have the discipline to learn everything in it, you probably won't need another book for doing RnB or Hip hop
Old 15th July 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by IM WHO YOU THINK View Post
No offense, but you might want to practice saying "Would you like fries with that".

(Unless you're joking, otherwise PLEASE don't tell me you "produce" music.)
come one now....you think Just Blaze or Kanye know chord progression off the to of there heads? uh NO, as long as you can convey your melodies to a musician to play for you (BASIC theory needed), your good. Thats Producing. YouTube - Kanye West
Old 15th July 2008
Gear maniac

Unreal.
Old 15th July 2008
Lives for gear

If you dont know what chord progression is, you should NOT be in the music business.
Old 15th July 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthy08 View Post
come one now....you think Just Blaze or Kanye know chord progression off the to of there heads? uh NO, as long as you can convey your melodies to a musician to play for you (BASIC theory needed), your good. Thats Producing. YouTube - Kanye West
Even if they didn't know specific chord progressions i'm pretty sure they knew what a chord progression IS.

The original poster did not but, as somebody pointed out, he was a 9th grade kid.
Old 16th July 2008
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillysoulman View Post
If you dont know what chord progression is, you should NOT be in the music business.

I don't understand chord progression in a way that I can express in technical conversation about music arangement but I am more than positive my chord progressions are killer.stike.....
Old 16th July 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by EKG Productions View Post
I don't understand chord progression in a way that I can express in technical conversation about music arangement but I am more than positive my chord progressions are killer.stike.....
Please give us some examples of your "killer" chord progressions.
Old 16th July 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by EKG Productions View Post
Usally instead of saying C major chord to G major, technical terms will be, play a I chord then a V chord in the key of C, or play a I chord---> v chord in Dorian Mode of the C Major scale which is D minor so you will play D minor to A minor something liek that, thats not that technical.... something liek that i kno what this stuff is, but its kionda hard ot explain, im probaby the worst music theory teacher you will ever have
Old 16th July 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trell Blaze View Post
Even if they didn't know specific chord progressions i'm pretty sure they knew what a chord progression IS.

The original poster did not but, as somebody pointed out, he was a 9th grade kid.

ohhhhhhh, ok. that makes sense know....o to the kid who was asking, i was in the same boat as you in 9th grade, work on learning stuff like that now cuz it will help u in the long run, u wanna be able to make that some r&b type ish one day that make the girlies go "owww weee thats my jam"
Old 16th July 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:

I like this one i play it all the time

LH/RH

Key:F# Major/Eb Minor(Relative minor of F# Major)
F#-B-C#/F#-G#-C#
F#-A#-C#/F-G#-C#
G#-B/D#-F#-A#
D#-F#-A#/C#-F

I do R&B so i stumble on some chords some times lioek this one

LH/RH

F#/A#-F-A#

I really dont know if thats a chord but its sounds beautiful
Old 16th July 2008
Gear addict

Quote:
I was just messin with you, but.... my myspace is available and I think I got a lil skill, just a tad, not much. lol...
Old 16th July 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyflo View Post
Usally instead of saying C major chord to G major, technical terms will be, play a I chord then a V chord in the key of C, or play a I chord---> v chord in Dorian Mode of the C Major scale which is D minor so you will play D minor to A minor something liek that, thats not that technical.... something liek that i kno what this stuff is, but its kionda hard ot explain, im probaby the worst music theory teacher you will ever have
NOPE that aint it.

A chord progression is just a series of chords ie accompaniment that coincides with your main meldody.

For instance in the key of C the first four lines of song I believe I can fly ,the chord progression would be.. C for 1 bar A minor for 1 bar D minor7 for 1 bar and G for 1 bar
Old 16th July 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
NOPE that aint it.

A chord progression is just a series of chords ie accompaniment that coincides with your main meldody.

For instance in the key of C the first four lines of song I believe I can fly ,the chord progression would be.. C for 1 bar A minor for 1 bar D minor7 for 1 bar and G for 1 bar
i thought his problem was the technical terms, when arranging a musical piece I DUNNO MAYBE IM WRONG
Old 16th July 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
NOPE that aint it.

But check out my Chord progression though i use it al the time i invert, all the time so its sounds different, sorta like what B.cox does in his music, he plays identical chords in all his songs
Old 16th July 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
You wanna really learn buy this book

http://www.amazon.com/Pop-Piano-Book.../dp/0793598788

If you have the discipline to learn everything in it, you probably won't need another book for doing RnB or Hip hop
I don't think there's anyone here who can't afford $20 and this is probably 20 of the best dollars I spent ever.
Old 16th July 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
I don't think there's anyone here who can't afford $20 and this is probably 20 of the best dollars I spent ever.
im gonna check that out too...good look
Old 18th July 2008
Lives for gear

Hey..what's a chord? is the like harmony or something?
Old 18th July 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by nukmusic View Post
Hey..what's a chord? is the like harmony or something?
Im done...I dont fkkn believe this!
Old 18th July 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Im done...I dont fkkn believe this!
LOL
Old 18th July 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coop7ca View Post
I Know Some Scales And Notes. But, What Is Chord Progression.
Like Can Some People Give Me Some Written In Notes?
It Would Me Much Appreciated.
A "Chord" is a group of notes that is played at the same time. Chords create "Harmony"......"Progression" is the transition from one Chord or note to another. Progression creates "Melody".
Combine the harmony and melody together and you got something.
Old 18th July 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbreman View Post
A "Chord" is a group of notes that is played at the same time. Chords create "Harmony"......"Progression" is the transition from one Chord or note to another. Progression creates "Melody".
Combine the harmony and melody together and you got something.
yo...aint a cord sumtin dat mufukkas be usin on mufukkas dat be axin stoopid kweshthins???
dey be tyin aroun a mufukkas nek...sumtin like dat..yo
Old 18th July 2008
Banned

place in hip-hop

This post should be in hip-hop..It could cut down on the stealing.OOPS I ment Sampleing!!
Old 18th July 2008
Lives for gear

For all of you non musical peeps out there, a chord progression is also called chord "changes".
So if anyone asks.."yo homes, what are the changes to this joint??" you will know what hes talking about...but you might not actually know the changes...and your name might not be "homes"
Now..if its a James Brown joint, there might only be one..maybe two tops,if your gonna take it to the bridge....thats another story so dont ask...or else Ill just jump off that bridge...homes
Old 18th July 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearaddict View Post
This post should be in hip-hop..It could cut down on the stealing.OOPS I ment Sampleing!!
why do you even come in the rap forum? all of your "insights" are just designed to spark controversy.

PS: learn to spell you ****ing idiot. it's "sampling" not "sampleing"...
Resource Room Spelling: Dropping Silent E when Adding a Suffix
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search