Login / Register
 
best beat making software
New Reply
Subscribe
djburnone
Thread Starter
#1
29th February 2008
Old 29th February 2008
  #1
Gear nut
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Posts: 149

Thread Starter
djburnone is offline
best beat making software

would u say that logic studio is if not the best but one of the best beat making softwares,and im kinda confused on buying heres the deal, got a deal at a audio store for a
apple mac 20 inch
apolgee euet interface
dynaudio monitors pair
glyph hard drive
logic studio
shur condinser mic with boom stand
for about 3700.00
what do you think its either that or buy a workstaion keyboard (korg m3 or roland fantom g when it comes out) and what ever else i can get within 5000.00 . i mean what would a workstation do for me that logic studio want? lets say comparing the motif xs acoustic sounds to the soft syths or sounds of logic studio, which would you say is better? your advice please
#2
29th February 2008
Old 29th February 2008
  #2
Lives for gear
 
piccazzo's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2005
Location: Stockholm / Sweden
Posts: 671

piccazzo is offline
Logic comes bundled with about 40 gb of sounds so start with them even though you have nothing to play them on in your configuration and if they dont fit your needs , buy whatever you want.

Quote:
would u say that logic studio is if not the best but one of the best beat making softwares
No
#3
29th February 2008
Old 29th February 2008
  #3
Gear maniac
 
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 294

Dante310 is offline
thats a great setup and logic has all you need. throw in reason and rewire it to logic and you have a really powerful setup.

also to the guy above me, you're about the only producer i know of right now who would say logic isn't a top program. been to atlanta recently? been in a major session recently? logic is quickly becoming one of, if not the, most popular hip hop sequencer/module around.
__________________
WAVE TUNE KANYA WEST
#4
29th February 2008
Old 29th February 2008
  #4
Lives for gear
 
Stitch333's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2006
Location: Western MA, USA
Posts: 3,503

Stitch333 is offline
the best beat making software?

Rock what you got
#5
29th February 2008
Old 29th February 2008
  #5
3 + infractions, forum membership suspended.
 
Joined: May 2005
Location: Hollywood, FL
Posts: 1,624

Send a message via AIM to Killah_Trakz Send a message via MSN to Killah_Trakz Send a message via Skype™ to Killah_Trakz
Killah_Trakz is offline
ohhh geez

do a search sometimes kid, but I rocked a mac mini 2.0 with logic stu8 and was good so like my mans up north said rock that shit till ya fingers turn to a bone cavity.
#6
29th February 2008
Old 29th February 2008
  #6
Lives for gear
 
piccazzo's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2005
Location: Stockholm / Sweden
Posts: 671

piccazzo is offline
Quote:
you're about the only producer i know of right now who would say logic isn't a top program.
Logic is in my opinion the best software there is , And yes i´ve been to major studios and i do own one myself , But i would not Agree that it is the best software as some people find PR to be the best somefind Cubase and some even FL Studio/Reason although you cant record in them.And further more this guy has been asking the same questions for two weeks now so the answer was more ment to be ironic , But still without something to play on his setup seems pretty pointless.
#7
29th February 2008
Old 29th February 2008
  #7
Lives for gear
 
cynic one's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: san jose, califas
Posts: 2,608

cynic one is offline
Quote:
somefind Cubase and some even FL Studio/Reason although you cant record in them
piccazzo......of course you can record in Cubase and FL....wtf? :p

sometimes i swear people just type shit to type.......quit spreading misinformation.
#8
29th February 2008
Old 29th February 2008
  #8
Lives for gear
 
MYAMS's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Posts: 2,368

Send a message via AIM to MYAMS Send a message via MSN to MYAMS
MYAMS is offline
Thatsa great setup and sounds like you got a great discount. I myself run a mac with logic, a duet and dynaudio bm6's for my home set up. U can definitely start making beats just with the synths and samples that come with logic and as you progress you can expand your sound library. The workflow of logic is intutive and is gonna be much better than clicking buttons trying to sequence on a sampler. Go for the computer based rig!
#9
29th February 2008
Old 29th February 2008
  #9
Lives for gear
 
cynic one's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2005
Location: san jose, califas
Posts: 2,608

cynic one is offline
PS: there is no BEST "beat making software". there's only what works best for you. and you won't know that until you try everything out there.

see if you can get demo copies of the stuff you're interested in. try them out - buy the one you like.
#10
29th February 2008
Old 29th February 2008
  #10
Lives for gear
 
piccazzo's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2005
Location: Stockholm / Sweden
Posts: 671

piccazzo is offline
you CANT record in Reason and the Recording in FL is a Joke , maybe i wasn´t clear egough what programs i meant.
#11
29th February 2008
Old 29th February 2008
  #11
Lives for gear
 
Nahuel's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 3,689

Nahuel is offline
Tryin to help dj (what I will write here is not the truth it's what I think, JUS ME), here's a lil "clasification" of some of the more used software solutions:

Beat making:

Reason: (probably the best one to learn how a studio is wired, you dont need plugins but you cant record audio)

Fruity Loops: a lot of cats use it and some make hits out of it, you cant go wrong)

Ableton live: my fav, it come with built in curses so if you serious you can handle it quick and it have "classic DAW" features: you can record audio, do complex routings etc...

Acid: easy to handle, powerfull, you cant go wrong

Audio + complex (I mean powerfull) midi:

Logic

Digital performer

Cubase

Sonar (pc)


Audio + midi (I mean mo audio oriented DAWz):

Pro Tools (the studio standard), PT LE

Samplitude (PC only I beleive, not sure)


There's many more...


As I said in another thread I think for you a reason + PT LE setup would be just fine:

Reason for beat making rewired to PT LE. (reason is probably the best when you need to learn how things work together in a studio and a brunch of hits been made with it and you have ton of refill outhere (reason sound banks))

PT LE for tracking, editing, plugins, hd compatibility, vocalign, etc.


Dont forget the audio editors like sound forge, wavelab, peak etc... cop one, you'll need one (for cuttin your samples, processing your samples, etc. Some DAW can do it but audio editors are the best tool for that kind of job IMO).

Good luck.
#12
29th February 2008
Old 29th February 2008
  #12
Geariophile
 
Karloff70's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: london
Posts: 13,333

Karloff70 is offline
Best beatmaking software?

Notator/Creator on Atari ST.........with hardware sampler....

Sorry, not very constructive to today's workflow, but I coudn't resist....
#13
29th February 2008
Old 29th February 2008
  #13
Gear Head
 
gorecki's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: NW
Posts: 42

gorecki is offline
I'm going to throw FXPansion's GURU out there: FXpansion - Guru

Coming from an MPC it's heaven sent.
#14
1st March 2008
Old 1st March 2008
  #14
Lives for gear
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: Bay area
Posts: 536

siriusbliss is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 View Post
Best beatmaking software?

Notator/Creator on Atari ST.........with hardware sampler....

Sorry, not very constructive to today's workflow, but I coudn't resist....
Still have my Atari and Notator/Creator. It was awesome! The whole thing ran off a single floppy disc. Ahhhhh, the good ol' days!

Greg
#15
1st March 2008
Old 1st March 2008
  #15
Lives for gear
 
PettyCash's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2007
Posts: 2,695

PettyCash is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynic View Post
PS: there is no BEST "beat making software". there's only what works best for you. and you won't know that until you try everything out there.

see if you can get demo copies of the stuff you're interested in. try them out - buy the one you like.
End of story right here.... threads like these tend to run on and not teach us anything.
#16
1st March 2008
Old 1st March 2008
  #16
Lives for gear
 
rackdude's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Orange County, CA or Oberlin, OH
Posts: 1,752

rackdude is offline
Just to fix things up.

Fruity Loops' audio recording is fine. It works. It sounds like you would expect a DAW. But, if your doing beats, this won't be the most needed thing anyways.

Fruity Loops has some great generators built in. Ableton Live I found the sounds somewhat lacking. Guru had some of the worst drum sounds I have heard.

Get Kontakt 3. That will get you a whole lot of samples. Then get Zeta+ for a great software synth. Add on v-station and vanguard and you should be good. Add battery 3 for some great drums. Then buy more sample sets for battery
__________________
Just having fun!
#17
1st March 2008
Old 1st March 2008
  #17
Gear nut
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Hamburg, Germany
Posts: 133

smy1 is offline
Why do you guys still answer this dudes questions?
#18
1st March 2008
Old 1st March 2008
  #18
Lives for gear
 
Nahuel's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 3,689

Nahuel is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by rackdude View Post
Ableton Live I found the sounds somewhat lacking.
... I you disable the warp (live time strech) and use no dithering live sound is exactly the same as other DAWz
#19
1st March 2008
Old 1st March 2008
  #19
Lives for gear
 
rackdude's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Orange County, CA or Oberlin, OH
Posts: 1,752

rackdude is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpuma View Post
... I you disable the warp (live time strech) and use no dithering live sound is exactly the same as other DAWz
Nothing to do with time warp, its samples just sucked.
#20
1st March 2008
Old 1st March 2008
  #20
Lives for gear
 
Nahuel's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 3,689

Nahuel is offline
?? lol... ok live suck. have a nice day.
#21
1st March 2008
Old 1st March 2008
  #21
Gear maniac
 
DanDolo's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: OakLand
Posts: 181

DanDolo is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by rackdude View Post
its samples just sucked.
what samples are you talking about ? tutt
it a sampler you put your samples in it

Ableton is da shit

To answer the original question just buy something already

it really doesnt matter this day and age whatever you get is going to be really good
#22
1st March 2008
Old 1st March 2008
  #22
Lives for gear
 
rackdude's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Orange County, CA or Oberlin, OH
Posts: 1,752

rackdude is offline
im saying the samples it came with I did not like at all. I loved the kontakt and eastwest libraries a lot more.
#23
7th January 2009
Old 7th January 2009
  #23
Lives for gear
 
voicegenius's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Los Angeles
Posts: 2,419

Send a message via AIM to voicegenius
voicegenius is offline
It doesn't mattah! You can make a beat with spoons and forks.... As long as it's hot....
#24
7th January 2009
Old 7th January 2009
  #24
Gear interested
 
Blyn52's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Hattiesburg
Posts: 3

Send a message via Yahoo to Blyn52
Blyn52 is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynic View Post
piccazzo......of course you can record in Cubase and FL....wtf? :p

sometimes i swear people just type shit to type.......quit spreading misinformation.
LOL!!! I know wat u mean.
#25
7th January 2009
Old 7th January 2009
  #25
Lives for gear
 
tonymission's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: ATL / Zone 3 / West End
Posts: 1,173

Send a message via AIM to tonymission
tonymission is offline
how long has this kid been figuring out what to buy? like 10 months?

ive seen this thread a million times..

buronedood
__________________
The Royalty - "Kings of the Keys"
@tonymission
#26
7th January 2009
Old 7th January 2009
  #26
Lives for gear
 
Alxi's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Montreal
Posts: 1,538

Alxi is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by gorecki View Post
I'm going to throw FXPansion's GURU out there: FXpansion - Guru

Coming from an MPC it's heaven sent.
I would have to agree. Very powerfull and fun.

To me Guru for drums and sampling plus Sonar for VSTI is all i need. Throw in Reason in rewire and you got a hell of a set up.

Logic, PT, sonar, cubase.. to me they are all variant of the same thing with theire own strenghts and weeknesses.

-Alxi-
#27
7th January 2009
Old 7th January 2009
  #27
Gear addict
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Posts: 470

diatonic is offline
I would expect most major DAWs are fine. Cubase, Sonar, Logic, PT, ... Logic or Sonar PE seem like good bang for buck when considering the included FX and sounds. I use Cubase.

I am still hunting for a < 100$ drum rompler. Guru, RMV and Battery are outside my budget. I have kontakt but do not find it very fast for setting up the right sounds. Maybe people have tips for working with K2.
#28
7th January 2009
Old 7th January 2009
  #28
Lives for gear
 
Keyflo's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: New Jersey
Posts: 1,849

Send a message via AIM to Keyflo
Keyflo is offline
CU-CU-CU CUBASE, but at my crib i have FL, Desktop speakers and Keystation, but at the studio i have cubase, axiom 49, way better computer and better plugins
__________________
Influenced by Danja, Jeff Bhasker, Timbaland

SOUNDS IN HD
My Twitter
Sounds in HD Twitter
My Sound Cloud
#29
7th January 2009
Old 7th January 2009
  #29
Lives for gear
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: Triple D!!! Dallas/Houston, Tx
Posts: 1,203

Send a message via AIM to jikky
jikky is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by diatonic View Post
I would expect most major DAWs are fine. Cubase, Sonar, Logic, PT, ... Logic or Sonar PE seem like good bang for buck when considering the included FX and sounds. I use Cubase.

I am still hunting for a < 100$ drum rompler. Guru, RMV and Battery are outside my budget. I have kontakt but do not find it very fast for setting up the right sounds. Maybe people have tips for working with K2.

Upgrade to K3 or stack more cash for Battery. It's on every production project I do.
#30
7th January 2009
Old 7th January 2009
  #30
Lives for gear
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: Triple D!!! Dallas/Houston, Tx
Posts: 1,203

Send a message via AIM to jikky
jikky is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyflo View Post
CU-CU-CU CUBASE, but at my crib i have FL, Desktop speakers and Keystation, but at the studio i have cubase, axiom 49, way better computer and better plugins
CO- CO- CO COSIGN!!!! Lol. Cubase 4 all the way for me. Honorable mentions to Pro Tools for stepping their game up.


best beat making software-img_1340.jpg
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 
 
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
illynoise / Rap + Hip Hop engineering & production
29
rodkneekeeng / Rap + Hip Hop engineering & production
12
KeMiKaL / Work In Progress / Advice Requested / Show & Tell / Artist Showcase / Mix-Offs
19
The Beatsmith / Rap + Hip Hop engineering & production
11
RIZ Records / Rap + Hip Hop engineering & production
8

Forum Jump

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.