using fantom as midi controller
New Reply
Subscribe
tjones
20th February 2008
Old 20th February 2008
Gear interested

using fantom as midi controller

Hey whats up people? im new to this board and i like the board alot from what i have been reading. I got a roland fantom that i use for sounds and also use reason 3.0 for making drum beats. I use ableton as my daw. I am trying to figure out how i can use the 16 pads on the fantom to trigger sounds in reason.

i think i have it set up correctly as the keys work fine but with the pads some of them work and trigger sounds and some of them don't and it is entirely arbritary. like for example, say i load a loop in dr rex with 16 slices, like pad 2 will be the 8th slice and so on and pads 14 15 and 16 will have no sound triggered to it.

Anyone else ever figured this one out?

thanks
Tyrell
20th February 2008
Old 20th February 2008
Gear nut

i also have a similar question. i have a fantom x6 and reason 3, with a digi 003 interface. i want to be able to use it as a controller in reason. when i had the mbox i was able to use the fantom as a controller but for some reason i could never recford the notes i was playing on my fantom into reason. now with the 003 i cant hear the notes at all.
tjones
20th February 2008
Old 20th February 2008
Gear interested

Blackanimal, are you sure the fantom and reason are connected properly (midi and audio?). I have the audiophile internal soundcard which has the midi in and out and audio in and out and have the midi out from the fantom to the midi in on the interface and as well the audio outs of the fantom to the audio in's on the interface.

As well, you gotta add a control surface in the preferences and then select which bus to assign it to. From there you can just click on each device in the sequencer, hit the record and play button's and start recording.

I just want to figure out how to use the pads properly with reason.
20th February 2008
Old 20th February 2008
70% Coffee, 30% Beer

Send a message via Skype™ to Doc Mixwell
Its got to do with MIDI key mapping,
Samples are not always key mapped the same way

In Reason, certain devices will trigger differently depending on this factor
Use the NNXT sampler, as that shows the key mapping so you can tweak the mapping to your liking.

Like putting your kick on one pad and your snare on another
tjones
21st February 2008
Old 21st February 2008
Gear interested

thanks for the response. Any clue on how to assign the samples in the nnxt to the pads? I was trying to figure it out yesterday and i couldnt.
thanks
Ty
22nd February 2008
Old 22nd February 2008
Gear nut

More info???

Was guud Tjones this is a great site and people are really helpfull but I have a Fantom X7 and I have not found alot of help here with it...I did find another forum which is strictly all about roland products -(more specifically the fantom x has its own room!!!) Heres the link Im sure youll find out all you need to know here:

Roland Clan Forums
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search