XLR cable quality -- where's the price/performance threshold?
Old 20th February 2008
Lives for gear

XLR cable quality -- where's the price/performance threshold?

What's the best mic cable brand? I'm sure at some point the difference is so neglible that the extra $50 doesn't make much of a difference, right?

So what company offers high quality cables at a somewhat moderate price?

Recording high fidelity sources like voice and acoustic guitar, what sort of difference should I expect when switching from my current cables? (both bottom of the line.. Apex and Yorkville standard stuff).
Right now I'm using a Rane MS1b preamp (cheap), so the difference in quality is probably more apparent when using a high quality pre.

Thanks for insight/links
Old 20th February 2008
the thing about high-quality cables like Mogami is that even if the difference is negligible now with cheap pres, you'll never have to buy them again--lifetime guarantee. so, when you are ready for better gear, you'll have the cables. one way to look at it. but, i know what you mean--i picked up a sub for a great deal and the cables i got were just as much!

i used to record on a good pre (UA 6176) with decent mic (KSM44) with a shitty cable and didn't realize how noisy it was until i got a nice one. can't get those vocal takes back when they're gone!
Old 20th February 2008
Gear addict

you can make what is considered the best yourself: mogami and neutrik... about $23 for a 25ft. cable. how's that for price/performance?

redco.com
Old 20th February 2008
Lives for gear

^damn, i think I'm gonna use those guys!!

Thing is, I don't know what all those different options are... lol

I guess I'll email them and ask what's best for my needs.. quality and otherwise

I'd like to not make this investment again for a long time (meanwhile upgrade my pre and mics as well)... so I want to get "the best" first time around
Old 20th February 2008
Gear addict

Old 20th February 2008
Motown legend

Old 20th February 2008
Lives for gear

You can also get Mogami with gold Neutrik ends for cheap. I recently bought a S/PDIF from Eventhorizon, and it was only $13 for a 3' cable. Way cheaper than Redco for the same product. Check 'em out and see if they have a mic cord.

EHS Home
Old 21st February 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6dyslexicelephnt View Post
redco.com
you can easily call Chris at Redco and discuss cable options. Great company...very helpful
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search