SAE ATL- Is This A Good School?
Old 26th December 2007
Gear nut

SAE ATL- Is This A Good School?

Okay I've posted about gear for my MBox 2 Pro and I see where a lot of people commented on me going to school so I'm asking is SAE a good school? I will be in the 1yr Degree program. Once I finished I planned on interning at a studio like Patchwerk Recording Studios?
Old 26th December 2007
High Fidelity

Convince one studio to take you as an intern ... see if you survive one year and keep the faith ... learn and work hard ... or if you throw the entire project off keep this money to go to a real school/university should you decide to change industry
Old 26th December 2007

Recording schools deplete your pocket and teach the same thing to thousands of kids every year. What about that would make you unique, and allow you to get a job that these thousands of kids can't?

I think the schools are unlikely to break you into the industry in any capacity at this point.
Old 26th December 2007
Gear nut

i almost went to sae in the bay area, but im glad now that i didnt. it would have cost 65,000 dollars. a much better idead would be to spend that money on your own gear and learn with you own stuff, and at the same time intern at a studio. i ended up going to sf state's mri program. it was alright and a lot cheaper but dropped out after taking all the cool classes. boy am i glad i didnt go to sae. that school aint s*** all ive heard is complaints
Old 26th December 2007
cpu
Gear addict

Pretty much everyone i know that went to SAE or Fullsail is now waiting tables.
Old 26th December 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Animal View Post
i almost went to sae in the bay area, but im glad now that i didnt. it would have cost 65,000 dollars. a much better idead would be to spend that money on your own gear and learn with you own stuff, and at the same time intern at a studio. i ended up going to sf state's mri program. it was alright and a lot cheaper but dropped out after taking all the cool classes. boy am i glad i didnt go to sae. that school aint s*** all ive heard is complaints
$65k? I'm in the wrong business.
Old 27th December 2007
Lives for gear

^I think those schools are raking it in huge. Just what some blow on marketing and ads must be insane. Are any publicly traded?
Old 27th December 2007
Gear maniac

im goin to sae LA right now
its alright
we got ssl aws900 and neve v3
but thats about it
if i knew this website long time ago,
i probly wouldnt have gone to school and spend the money on my own gears
but back then i didnt know sh1t about audio
so the school got me to a good start
in about 3 weeks, i get to use the ssl studio
and i have about a year of school left
which means i can use the ssl for a year
and the neve for about 9 month
its cool for me so far

something i realized is that
most of the stuff that are important, you learn yourself
you just learn the basic knowledges by the school

hope this helps
good luck!

edit: if you decide to go to SAE, take the part-time class
that way you get more studio time (about twice longer)
Old 27th December 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Animal View Post
WHAT?
SAE here in atlanta isnt even $20k
i thought about going just to get a degree and learn a little more but havent made my mind up.

they have a great facility out here i must admit. when they first opened i was down there and met scott storch and a bunch of other ppl... some ppl that i had already worked with or knew
Old 27th December 2007
Gear addict

I'm at an SAE school right now, not the one you're talking about. I already had a lot of basic knowledge, one of the people who just knew a lot, but didn't (doesn't) have the practical experience. The things I learned in class haven't been so much of a help for me. But the practical time in the studio's is very cool, and the school is great fun. I'm having a very good time there.

However, my impression from the school: The people are great, and everybody wants to learn, but there are just very little people who (can) really teach you practical things.
Compared to (my impression of) a internship: at school I get a lot of theory, and I can go my own way in the practical time. At an internship, you will get little theory, but will get fully guided in the practical side of recording and mixing, by people who know what to do so well that they can earn a living with it. However, the time to experiment and try out things will be very limited, of course, depending on the time you've been an intern, and where you are interned.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search