Old 29th November 2007
  #1
Lives for gear
 
Keyflo's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
Waves Rvox

Hey Gs. is Wave Rvox needed on every vocal track in the recording session?
Old 29th November 2007
  #2
Gear maniac
 
jb4play's Avatar
 

I'm going to answer this before everyone else comes in here and chews you out...

The answer is yes and no.

Yes if the vocal track requires it.

No if the vocal track does not require it.

Me personally, I've never used the RVox on every vocal track, I've never used one plug on every track actually, different situations need different tools. Hope this helps!
Old 29th November 2007
  #3
Gear nut
 
tallboy79's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb4play View Post

Me personally, I've never used the RVox on every vocal track, I've never used one plug on every track actually, different situations need different tools. Hope this helps!
I Agree...I always try different plugins to see which sounds best unless you have a specific sound you're going for and you know which plugin to reach for. Get to know your plugs as much as possible and put RVox on as and when required.

thumbsup
Quote
1
Old 30th November 2007
  #4
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyflo View Post
Hey Gs. is Wave Rvox needed on every vocal track in the recording session?
Yes

and every bass track too
Old 30th November 2007
  #5
Lives for gear
 
halfguard's Avatar
 

for what its worth, i dont know if i would say everytime to anything but i use rvox alot.
Old 30th November 2007
  #6
Lives for gear
 
PettyCash's Avatar
 

Instead of relying on a magic bullet wizard type of plugin like Rvox on every single vocal track in a mix, or for every song you work on, you can try using some compressors and noise gates that have more precise controls for attending to your specific needs for a particular track.

I would only use Rvox for its specific character, and not for main compressing/gating duties. Maybe its just me, but I consider abusing Rvox to be a lazy approach to compression and gating.

When used somewhere along a chain subsequent to other methods of compression, it is quite alright though, and can really shine if USED PROPERLY.
Old 30th November 2007
  #7
Lives for gear
 
macleodgrant's Avatar
if you're asking the question, i assume you're still finding your way around.

in that case, simplify your world and use one plugin like RVOX, Sonnox Dynamics, Sonalksis, etc... for all the vocals and learn that plugin's strengths and weaknesses and then use a different plug the next time. it's the only way you'll learn what it's character actually is.

the RVOX is a lazy man's plugin (agreed). once you've used it on a session and then next time use a different plugin, you may have to do a bit more work but you could achieve better results with a more manual process. you'll aim for the RVOX feel and learn a lot in the process
Old 30th November 2007
  #8
Lives for gear
 
blayz2002's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by macleodgrant View Post
if you're asking the question, i assume you're still finding your way around.

in that case, simplify your world and use one plugin like RVOX, Sonnox Dynamics, Sonalksis, etc... for all the vocals and learn that plugin's strengths and weaknesses and then use a different plug the next time. it's the only way you'll learn what it's character actually is.

the RVOX is a lazy man's plugin (agreed). once you've used it on a session and then next time use a different plugin, you may have to do a bit more work but you could achieve better results with a more manual process. you'll aim for the RVOX feel and learn a lot in the process
Another tip,

Most vocal tracks are probably going to need some compression and eq to get them to sit right and cut through the mix nice.

A good appraoch when you are starting out mixing is to get the bass and drums sitting nice first (level, pan maybe eq & comp) then bring your lead vox in and listen. What you're aiming for is for the vox to sit loud enough in the track so it's the lead element but, it needs to sound smooth and not dominate the track. Thats when you start looking at maybe comp - eq.

If you got a few choices copy the vox track down to a few other tracks and load a different comp and eq on each then start messing with the settings and A/B to see what working best. This way you are learning your plugs not just using whet you think you should.
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
1484 / Music Computers
5
Vocalvoodoo / Gearslutz Secondhand Gear Classifieds
2
dc80 / Rap + Hip Hop engineering & production
0

Forum Jump
 
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.