New Reply
Subscribe
Keyflo
28th November 2007
Old 28th November 2007
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to Keyflo
Auto Tune v.s. Waves Tune

Hey which is better, I seen the vids with Waves tune and Auto tune, And i think Waves tune takes the cake.......Wut do u guys think

SOUNDS IN HD
My Twitter
Sounds in HD Twitter
My Sound Cloud
28th November 2007
Old 28th November 2007
Gear maniac

Send a message via AIM to Y-Studios Send a message via MSN to Y-Studios
i have both and actually i like waves tunes better because i can really get different sounds than like auto-tunes, that u will just sound like T-pain.
Keyflo
28th November 2007
Old 28th November 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Y-Studios View Post
i have both and actually i like waves tunes better because i can really get different sounds than like auto-tunes, that u will just sound like T-pain.
yeah i heard that also, and u can play wutever notes u want rather than letting the program tune for u
28th November 2007
Old 28th November 2007
Gear maniac

yes, is kind of how u do it in melodyne
28th November 2007
Old 28th November 2007

My Recordings/Credits

Send a message via Skype™ to psycho_monkey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyflo View Post
yeah i heard that also, and u can play wutever notes u want rather than letting the program tune for u
That's only if you use auto mode - using graphic mode you can do what you want.

Quote:
i have both and actually i like waves tunes better because i can really get different sounds than like auto-tunes, that u will just sound like T-pa
So you mean you've never tried/don't know how to use graphic mode. Used properly on a reasonable singer, AT can be undetectable. When done badly or used on those who really can't sing is when it becomes noticible.

If you're using auto mode, you're going to get notes which don't work properly. Not venturing into graphic mode is just laziness and/or inexperience. Don't slate things you don't know how to use properly.
28th November 2007
Old 28th November 2007
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by psycho_monkey View Post
That's only if you use auto mode - using graphic mode you can do what you want.

So you mean you've never tried/don't know how to use graphic mode. Used properly on a reasonable singer, AT can be undetectable. When done badly or used on those who really can't sing is when it becomes noticible.

If you're using auto mode, you're going to get notes which don't work properly. Not venturing into graphic mode is just laziness and/or inexperience. Don't slate things you don't know how to use properly.
Who said that i don't know how to use the graphic mode on auto tunes? In giving my opinion that i like one product more than the other, it does not mean that i don't know how to use the product that i like less. Next time you give you opinion give it with out accusing others with lack of knowledge, and even more if you don't know them.
Keyflo
28th November 2007
Old 28th November 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Who said that i don't know how to use the graphic mode on auto tunes? In giving my opinion that i like one product more than the other, it does not mean that i don't know how to use the product that i like less. Next time you give you opinion give it with out accusing others with lack of knowledge, and even more if you don't know them.
U said it.....People always jump to conclusions in forums
28th November 2007
Old 28th November 2007
Lives for gear

Antares vs. Waves..........and the winner is Melodyne.

and you CAN hear both "in action", even on harmonies. thumbsup
28th November 2007
Old 28th November 2007

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Well, you said it actually.

you said "it will sound like T-Pain" which it obviously doesn't if you do it properly. I'm sorry if you feel I jumped to conclusions - I'm just sick of people going on about the differences between different tuning programs, and how "you can always hear it" when so many people don't really know how to tune well. And that IS people I've worked for in a real studio, not just speculation online.

That apology goes to Keyflo too. But he DID refer to "letting the program do it for you" so you can't really say I jumped to a conclusion there.

I stand by my point - tuning a competent singer well, it doesn't matter what you use (and I'm really getting into Melodyne too), you can make it all but imperceptible.

And that's before we get into singers that sound tuned before they've actually been touched...
Keyflo
28th November 2007
Old 28th November 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:

you said "it will sound like T-Pain" which it obviously doesn't if you do it properly. I'm sorry if you feel I jumped to conclusions - I'm just sick of people going on about the differences between different tuning programs, and how "you can always hear it" when so many people don't really know how to tune well. And that IS people I've worked for in a real studio, not just speculation online.

That apology goes to Keyflo too. But he DID refer to "letting the program do it for you" so you can't really say I jumped to a conclusion there.

I stand by my point - tuning a competent singer well, it doesn't matter what you use (and I'm really getting into Melodyne too), you can make it all but imperceptible.

And that's before we get into singers that sound tuned before they've actually been touched...
Naw its cool man, it seems like melodyne is a good program, I never heard of it though....is it a VST effect or a stand-alone.
28th November 2007
Old 28th November 2007

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyflo View Post
Naw its cool man, it seems like melodyne is a good program, I never heard of it though....is it a VST effect or a stand-alone.
celemony_ :: News

just to confuse things...it's both and more (can also do vocaligning, beat detective etc apparently in the standalone) - but it can work in plugin mode v similar to AT graphic mode.
28th November 2007
Old 28th November 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'm sorry if you feel I jumped to conclusions - I'm just sick of people going on about the differences between different tuning programs, and how "you can always hear it" when so many people don't really know how to tune well. And that IS people I've worked for in a real studio, not just speculation online.
my remark was based on the fact that we got people in here who work in studios and don't judge based on "hear say".

being that I heard Melodyne before it was released, I kinda know it's signature sound.

for the untrained ear, yes, the difference is not big. for most productions, it doesn't matter at all. if you know what you are listening for though, it's simply not one and the same. thumbsup
Keyflo
28th November 2007
Old 28th November 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
celemony_ :: News

just to confuse things...it's both and more (can also do vocaligning, beat detective etc apparently in the standalone) - but it can work in plugin mode v similar to AT graphic mode.
Pretty cool, i wanna find a tutorial for it
28th November 2007
Old 28th November 2007
Gear maniac

Quote:

Is ok, and what i meant was that it would sound like t-pain, because thats what mostly everyone now a days wants to do with auto-tunes....but bahhhh!
Keyflo
28th November 2007
Old 28th November 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Is ok, and what i meant was that it would sound like t-pain, because thats what mostly everyone now a days wants to do with auto-tunes....but bahhhh!
Yeah everybody supposedly started to sing with autotune before t-pain was in the game.....on youtube it's one guy that claims he did it b4 t-pain, and think t-pain stole his style.......
28th November 2007
Old 28th November 2007
Lives for gear

Hey, its will the guy who helped with the nuendo issue. I am just giving my vote for melodyne. It can do the auto-tuning thing, the cher-effect, and also fix drastic problems. You can even do realistic harmonies with it! It is more expensive but very powerful. The way I use it is to export the vocal track from nuendo as a mono bar 1 beat 1 track and export a stereo instrumental mix which both line up together, do the correction, and export back into nuendo. I find that it works better for me than running multiple applications at the same time. Anyway good luck with whatever you choose.

(Cubase, Native Instruments, lots of other software synths and plugins, )

28th November 2007
Old 28th November 2007
Gear maniac

autotune is the same thing, but it automatically tunes your tracks in realtime
28th November 2007
Old 28th November 2007

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by .Powell. View Post
autotune is the same thing, but it automatically tunes your tracks in realtime
....badly.

If you're following the thread, you'll see this has also been discussed. AT in auto mode is generally really obvious sounding and what gives vocal tuning a bad name.

You can get away with it (sometimes) on BVs, but generally it's something to be avoided.

FWIW, Melodyne also has a 1-button "fix" which could be equated to AT in auto mode. Never used Tune, but I'd imagine it does something similar?
13th December 2007
Old 13th December 2007
Gear nut

Quote:
Never used Tune, but I'd imagine it does something similar?
waves tune has more pleasant sounding algorithm to my ears than auto-tune.
it's great on the long notes. However I'd recommend to have all of them
13th December 2007
Old 13th December 2007
Lives for gear

I'll give you guys a freebie from my bag of tricks.

When tuning, roll off the high-end around 1k . Tune your passage, when you're done deactivate the filter.

thank me later

ohh and melodyne kills all of em.

and if you can only get the T-Pain "effect" when using auto-tune. Read the manual and start moving knobs.. LIKE THE RETUNE SPEED (duh)
13th December 2007
Old 13th December 2007
Lives for gear

psychmonkey is your ilok the same as your gs id?

i think i sold you some plugs on the DUC.. im the obviously too busy to do anything guy that took way to long to get them too

sorry about that again, good to see you here as well.
14th December 2007
Old 14th December 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevendaysoff View Post
psychmonkey is your ilok the same as your gs id?

i think i sold you some plugs on the DUC.. im the obviously too busy to do anything guy that took way to long to get them too

sorry about that again, good to see you here as well.
melodyne is great for rephrasing things but if i wanted to remove a vibrato completely, waves tune would sound a lot more natural. melodyne's flexibility is incredible but the quality isn't necessarily the better.
when my friend and i work together, we use melodyne however i bought waves tune.

i will do a shootout soon and post it here
14th December 2007
Old 14th December 2007
Lives for gear

i'd love to hear the shootout! I personally havent logged enough time behind waves tune to honestly say melodyne kills it.. so i can retract that statement. I guess I'm just so used to the melodyne interface now I just love the workflow. I just recently switched from AT5 to melodyne and I can say melodyne kills AT.

looking forward to the files mac.
14th December 2007
Old 14th December 2007
Lives for gear

where is the tune clip w/ the vocals?
14th December 2007
Old 14th December 2007
Gear nut

like I said, I tried tune on this vocal samples, but without success. thats why I ended it with melodyne.
sorry, if this samples useless for you...:(
14th December 2007
Old 14th December 2007
Lives for gear

its cool. so are you saying tune wasnt even consistent enough with its correction to provide a sample w/ the vocal? as in it isnt on melodynes level?

the instruments do sound good, however the only things im usually tuning are vocals & bass drums
14th December 2007
Old 14th December 2007
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by sevendaysoff View Post
its cool. so are you saying tune wasnt even consistent enough with its correction to provide a sample w/ the vocal? as in it isnt on melodynes level?

the instruments do sound good, however the only things im usually tuning are vocals & bass drums
I tried to control every note, breath etc. with tune same way like in melodyne, but I still hear Tune's character... Melodyne more transparent on vocals for me, not 100%, but better than Tune and much better auto-tune.

But! Tune is great on instruments, especially it's vibrato function. it's easier to achieve good results on instruments with Tune for me.
14th December 2007
Old 14th December 2007
Lives for gear

well here's a quick example of just taking a dry vocal and shifting it up by 5 semitones with both melodyne and tune. there's been no tuning though at all
Attached Files
File Type: mp3 Dry.mp3 (477.2 KB, 3042 views)
File Type: mp3 Melodyne.mp3 (477.2 KB, 3453 views)
File Type: mp3 Tune.mp3 (477.2 KB, 3354 views)
14th December 2007
Old 14th December 2007
Gear addict

Send a message via AIM to ORGANIK
the winner is.........

a good singer who dosent sing out of key !! LOL
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search