26th September 2007
Old 26th September 2007
Lives for gear

taming the hi's

26th September 2007
Old 26th September 2007
Lives for gear

thats a tamb loops right

i think i heard that same loop before.. pro samples if i am not mistaken.

see those loops come with effects on them and that tamb came with a delay effect on it with the send and return panned different directs so it is coliding with something else in the mix when it goes stereo wide. maybe add alittle less compression. find the right pan to place it so it wont colide. eq them better as well
JHOOKS
26th September 2007
Old 26th September 2007
Lives for gear

You might of heard something like it, but that particular one is not a loop from pro samples, it just samples I played. Anyway I will try some of the pointers you mention see if that helps.
26th September 2007
Old 26th September 2007
Lives for gear

try this

try deductive eq on other instruments. so if you have other instruments that are in the same part of the spectrum then notch some out of the frequency that the two sounds share for example if you have a high hat a crach and a tamb and the tamb is on a stereo delay at say 38 ms then solo the crash the high hat and the tamb and pan them all to there own area if the tamb is dominate say at 7khz then do a narrow notch at 7khz on the hihg hats if the highs are dominate in the 10khz then no a narrow notch out of the tamb at 10khz this will alow for each one to have there own power spot. use your ears for the notching there is no magic button yo just have to put in hella man hours... hope this helps. ohh and your beats are nice
JHOOKS
26th September 2007
Old 26th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by feedback711 View Post
try deductive eq on other instruments. so if you have other instruments that are in the same part of the spectrum then notch some out of the frequency that the two sounds share for example if you have a high hat a crach and a tamb and the tamb is on a stereo delay at say 38 ms then solo the crash the high hat and the tamb and pan them all to there own area if the tamb is dominate say at 7khz then do a narrow notch at 7khz on the hihg hats if the highs are dominate in the 10khz then no a narrow notch out of the tamb at 10khz this will alow for each one to have there own power spot. use your ears for the notching there is no magic button yo just have to put in hella man hours... hope this helps. ohh and your beats are nice
Good looks! its people like you that made me decide to join gearslutz two years back! Very insightful tips! Some of which I knew but forgot thanks to GEARSLUTZ way to much info to keep in my head! Will try tonight when I get back in the studio!
27th September 2007
Old 27th September 2007
Lives for gear

I freakin hate myspace. The streams always sound so poor no matter what kind of music.

But anyway, a lot can be said about the effectiveness of filters, High-Pass and Low-Pass. If a source for recording and/or mixing needs any sort of EQing the first thing I will reach for are the filters. Almost always things sound out of place because of too much high, or too much low-end.

Harshness can usually be remedied by using a low-pass filter on a really gentle slope (6db/octave). And listen to the source in the track and slowly sweep down until it starts to sit in the right place. The Kjaerhus GEQ-7 has very flexible filters as well as 5 band parametric EQ. One of my go-to plug-in EQs.

By the time I'm done a mix, whether for rock, or hip-hop (i.e. live recorded music or sample-based), one out of two tracks will be employing a filter of some sort.
JHOOKS
27th September 2007
Old 27th September 2007
Lives for gear

you right about myspace streams they suck! Got back in the studio last night and things are coming along.When I'm done I will repost the track.
JHOOKS
27th September 2007
Old 27th September 2007
Lives for gear

any other ideas are more then welcome! thanks thanks!
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search