Room Treatment
New Reply
Subscribe
KidWork
19th September 2007
Old 19th September 2007
Gear Head

Room Treatment

Hey guys whats up.....just wondering if anyone purchased one of those auralex room treaatment kits before...if so...which one....and how well doo they work...also whats the most important thing I should do to treat my room....im not looking for perfection...just a cost effective way to really enhance my listening enviormnt...thanx
19th September 2007
Old 19th September 2007
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to feedback711
check it

The brand is awsome. i would not going blowing all that money on a kit unless you are sure that there is a productive place for every peice in the kit....if you go to aurelex.com you can graph out the lay out of your mix room and the company will tell you the best way to position your set up and where exactly to place the absorbtion pads how to arrange the diffusion peices and what not. it saved me like 80 bucks cause i really didnt need all the stuff in the kit. i just took the money saved and bought corner fills and a nice defuser for behind me.

MySpace.com - Feedback productions - Kansas City, US - Hip Hop / Indie / Rap - www.myspace.com/feedbackproductions
19th September 2007
Old 19th September 2007
Gear maniac

I've heard mixed things about Auralex... I used to use it, when I had a treated room in my old house, but am currently looking to do a new room. That being said, a lot of people rave about it, but i've also heard people say it has uneven absorption...etc

Gear|Addict Clothing
(Designer/Creator)
Unique Audio/Music/Recording Related Clothing
(Mics, Synths, Analogue Gear...Hip Hop and everything in Between)

KidWork
19th September 2007
Old 19th September 2007
Gear Head

how bout building your own pannels, bass traps, and difusers.....could i save a substantial amount....its hard to swallow spending 1000 on some foam
19th September 2007
Old 19th September 2007
Lives for gear

Auralex is basically crap. About the only thing you can use it for is their panels for first reflection points. The problem with Auralex is that it simply doesn't do much and what it does is pretty high in the frequency spectrum. You can't "tune" a room with Auralex, about all you can do it knock down the high frequency reverb (leaving the rest of the standing waves a complete mess). And their bass traps don't do anything.

Oh yeah, and it's ugly as hell

Double oh yeah: The advice they give on how to treat your room is pretty bad.

There's a REASON you almost never see the stuff in good studios.

As for the OP's question about what to do in his room:
1) As much bass trapping as physically and economically possible!
2) First reflection points on the walls and ceiling
3) After that it's too taste.
Three international #1 hit radio singles
Me: www.vonpimpenstein.com | Studio: www.feistychicken.com | Facebook: www.facebook.com/chriscarterproducer
MIX RATES: Standard major label $700, Standard indie/unsigned $299(temporary price from $550), Promo $49-$99
KidWork
19th September 2007
Old 19th September 2007
Gear Head

good looks
19th September 2007
Old 19th September 2007
Lives for gear

I don't know. A friend of mine put up some diffusors in his little live room and I gotta say the room sounds incredible. Didn't hear the room before but he claims that it brought everything into focus. I have to agree. Everything sounds sharp and very clear. Here are the panels he put up. also some pics of the room.

http://www.auralex.com/sound_diffuso...sor_qfusor.asp

21st September 2007
Old 21st September 2007
Gear nut

I would say build your own traps, you can save money and buy more gear. plus u have more options in terms of looks (fabric)

Armin "Tiger" Sanghera

(E) tiger@thepilotlights.com
(W) thepilotlights.com

My username on everything is tigermuzik
amd
21st September 2007
Old 21st September 2007
amd
Lives for gear

Auralex is a joke, do not spend 1k in foam unless you want to be unhappy and spend more money in the long run on a better solution. It will help control the high/mid frequencies, but will do nothing for the lower ones. I will asume that a large percentage of individuals are mixing in their home studio's or spare bedroom. Due to their usual dimension almost a square box- they need alot of broadband absortion. In order to absorb bass you need very thick panels, one or two inches is not going to cut it. I think you should do a search and you will find a ton of info regarding DIY broadband absorbers and basstraps. Since you are in FT. Liquordale you can purchase some 703 in Pompano Beach.
KidWork
21st September 2007
Old 21st September 2007
Gear Head

ya im gonna build em....im gonna test my room tommorow and try to start bulding this weekend....ill post some pics asap
21st September 2007
Old 21st September 2007
Lives for gear

DIY

- Buy Owens Corning 705 2'x4' panels.
- Cover with fabric
- Hang on wall

Or like I did, purchase the pre-made covers from ready acoustics. Easy to install. Looks fantastic. Excellent results.

Link
mangoblack.com
21st September 2007
Old 21st September 2007
Lives for gear

if you look, you can find the oc 703 or 705 locally.....we bought 4x2 panels of 703 for 8$ a sheet . bought the fabric and a glue gun................
21st September 2007
Old 21st September 2007
Gear nut

i got another way of building em. I use 4x2 piece of pegboard and use 2x3s to make a frame, stuff it with Ruxell Safe n Sound. And then wrap the fabric. I've found this method to last a little bit longer.
21st September 2007
Old 21st September 2007
Lives for gear

Auralex has it's uses. I think they are for the most part, a fine company with a respectable product line up, and there are many respectable studios who utilize thier products. I have used some of their products and some other similar products that were cheaper, and the auralex did hold their color better, and didn't crumble and fall apart like the cheaper stuff.

but, i think their products perform best when only used as PART of your overall solution - such as taming the high end, helping with flutter, and frankly - providing a visually pleasing environment.

Too much foam will just ruin your room though - you'll get muddy sound and won't be happy.

thumbs up for Auralex, but use sparingly...
21st September 2007
Old 21st September 2007
Gear nut

Send a message via AIM to Pistolpete Send a message via Yahoo to Pistolpete
HERES MY SOLUTION

BASS TRAPS ARE EASY TO MAKE....YOU NEED SOME 2X2'S SOME CHICKEN WIRE, HOUSING INSULATION AND SOME VERY POUROUS LIGHT FABRIC TO COVER THE BASS TRAPS.....CONSTRUCT A BOX WITH THE 2X2S(MINE WERE AROUND 3'X1X1') FOR MY UPPER AND LOWER CORNERS, AND I CONSTRUCTED A ROOM LENGTH ONE FOR THE BACK WALL/CEILING....AFTER THE BOX IS MADE OF WOOD...STAPLE THE CHICKEN WIRE TO THE INSIDE OF THE WOOD FRAME...NOW STUF THAT MOFO WITH AS MUCH INSULATION YOU CAN...TAKE OFF THE COVERING BEFORE YOU STUFF.....CLOSE UP THE LAST SIDE OF THE BOX WITH THE CHICKEN WIRE AND COVER THE BOX WITH THE LIGHT FABRIC.....MOUNT IN CORNERS AND NOTICE A DRAMATIC DECREASE IN ROOM (BOOMYNESS) AND CORNER BUILD UP...

WALL REVERB DEFLECTION WAS ACCOMPLISHED ALSO BY VERY CHEEP CONSTRUCTION.....I USED 1" SPACERS, SCREWS, PEGBOARD, VERY THIN ROCKWOOL AND THATS IT...I MOUNTED THE PEGBOARD ON TOP OF THE ROCKWOOL SHEETS (CUT 2'W X 5' HIGH), COVERED THE BOARDS WITH A VERY LIGHT ABSORBATIVE FABRIC AND MOUNTED THEM 1" FROM THE WALLS IN KEY RELFECTION AREAS...VERY CHEAP AND DRAMATICALLY REDUCED REBERBERATION AND HIGH END REFLECTIONS....

NEXT...EQ YOUR ROOM...I JUST RECENTLY PICKED UP A PHONICD PAA2 AND A DBX 231...TOTAL COST ABOUT 350$....AND IT MADE A MILLION DOLLAR DIFFERENCE....BEFORE I HAD A LOT OF DIPS AND FREQUECY PROBLEM AREAS THAT I COULDNT DETECT WITHOUT A MEASUREMENT DEVICE....NOW THAT I HAVE TAKEN SHOTS THROUGHOUT MY CONTROLL ROOM USING PINK NOISE AND AVERAGED THEM AND IMPOSED CORRECTIONS ON THE DBX 231.....WHOAA...WHAT A DIFFERENCE WHEN I A/B MY MIXES...OR IN FACT ANY MIXED...NOW EVERYTHING TRANSLATES VERY WELL TO ANY SYSTEM.....

AS YOU CAN SEE FOR 1000$ YOU CAN DO A LOT BETTER, MORE ACCURATE, AND BETTER LOOKING ROOM TREATMENT WITH MORE EFFECTIVENESS THAN CRAPPY AURALEX.....

HOPE THIS HELPS
21st September 2007
Old 21st September 2007
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to feedback711
exactly

Quote:
Originally Posted by gainstages View Post
Auralex has it's uses. I think they are for the most part, a fine company with a respectable product line up, and there are many respectable studios who utilize thier products. I have used some of their products and some other similar products that were cheaper, and the auralex did hold their color better, and didn't crumble and fall apart like the cheaper stuff.

but, i think their products perform best when only used as PART of your overall solution - such as taming the high end, helping with flutter, and frankly - providing a visually pleasing environment.

Too much foam will just ruin your room though - you'll get muddy sound and won't be happy.

thumbs up for Auralex, but use sparingly...
that is what i was saying...
my room is 12 x 12 and i was gona buy one of those huge kits and the company told me not to do it. which was cool cause they coulda scored a big sale. they told me what peices i needed and where to put them with out over doing it. of course i will get my ceiling peices else where but i really think it helps.. the bass traps work if you stack em from floor to ceiling if possible
22nd September 2007
Old 22nd September 2007
Gear maniac

Well,

I gotta tell you, we like Aurlex, and they are a competitor. The problem with a company that size, is that no one at a retailer can really tell you what you need, and more importantly, how to install it. That is really a shame, because Auralex makes good stuff. No, it can't do what serious bass traps can, but it can do almost everything else.

If you could find someone to advise you on just how to install it, and what to get, I'd say Auralex is a pretty good bet. Expensive, sure...so are others, TOO expensive for what you get.

There are lots of DIY discussions at The Bass Traps Network and good plans for making your own there if you are inclined and want to save some money.

Good luck all,
amd
22nd September 2007
Old 22nd September 2007
amd
Lives for gear

[QUOTE=Pistolpete;

AS YOU CAN SEE FOR 1000$ YOU CAN DO A LOT BETTER, MORE ACCURATE, AND BETTER LOOKING ROOM TREATMENT WITH MORE EFFECTIVENESS THAN CRAPPY AURALEX.....

HOPE THIS HELPS[/QUOTE]

That is my point, maybe my choice of words "a joke" was a little harsh and I should have said "not the most effective or cost effective solution." I went the Auralex route and after spending all that money, I ended up building broadband absorbers and basstraps with 703. I now have a much improved room and my mixes translate better. If you have $1,000 dollars to work with your money will be much better utilized with a 703 solution.
22nd September 2007
Old 22nd September 2007
Gear maniac

We have a combination of the two....

I noticed much better results from the stuff we built. Plus they has a camo finish!

If you can spare the time and have the skills make your own.
22nd September 2007
Old 22nd September 2007
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by assemblyworker View Post
We have a combination of the two....

I noticed much better results from the stuff we built. Plus they has a camo finish!

If you can spare the time and have the skills make your own.

WORD.

thumbsup
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search