need help with waves q10
New Reply
Subscribe
yaboy
3rd September 2007
Old 3rd September 2007
Gear Head

need help with waves q10

okay well im been trynna to mess with it but i just cant get it how i want it and i was wonderin if anybody could help me out or tell me some settings that you use its for hip hop /rap,,,i would really appreciate it thanks
3rd September 2007
Old 3rd September 2007
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to matthew.sawicki
You probably would benefit from reading books about mixing in general. The Q10 is a verrrrry straight forward plugin and nothing should be too complicated for anyone with a general understand of recording.

follow me on twitter! twitter.com/matthewsawicki

3rd September 2007
Old 3rd September 2007
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to azwun25 Send a message via Yahoo to azwun25
Quote:
Originally Posted by yaboy View Post
okay well im been trynna to mess with it but i just cant get it how i want it and i was wonderin if anybody could help me out or tell me some settings that you use its for hip hop /rap,,,i would really appreciate it thanks
it all depends on what the source material needs. there is no "hiphop" setting on an eq or any processor in the hardware or software world.
yaboy
3rd September 2007
Old 3rd September 2007
Gear Head

thanx is there any free good websites where i can read about eq
3rd September 2007
Old 3rd September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
thanx is there any free good websites where i can read about eq
google it, it's everywhere
3rd September 2007
Old 3rd September 2007
Lives for gear

wow...
3rd September 2007
Old 3rd September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:

First off, you havent even mentioned what you are trying to use it for....
Vocals, drums, what is it?

There is no "Auto pilot" setting for the plugin. You are better off seeing who you can sell your Waves bundle package to so you can get back your money for something you might never benefit from having.....straight up!
3rd September 2007
Old 3rd September 2007
Lives for gear

Just an FYI: Once you find out what an eq is and does, you'll (hopefully) recognize that the waves Qxx eqs are really garbage, especially in affecting the high end...unless you use the "Hiphop/rap" preset...

There are many many other eqs, both hardware and software that sound better than these...

Good Luck!

"Run to the hills, run for your lives."
-Iron Maiden
3rd September 2007
Old 3rd September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitch333 View Post
Just an FYI: Once you find out what an eq is and does, you'll (hopefully) recognize that the waves Qxx eqs are really garbage, especially in affecting the high end...unless you use the "Hiphop/rap" preset...

There are SO many other eqs, both hardware and software that sound better than these...

Good Luck!
Id only cut frequencies using a Q eq, it doesnt really offer you anything nice when using it to boost. You gotta know when and were to use it.

The general ideal when mixing or enhancing sound is that you are doing it on the basis of wanting to hear a better difference with the sound in which you are tweaking.

In that case the Q eqs dont offer you much because you wont hear a better difference when boosting frequencies using it, you are better off using something that is more known for adding nice coloring, or using a Linear phase eq to do larger boosts in frequency.

The Q10 comes in handy when you are wanting to do a lot of surgical work. Making cuts and boosts in smaller increments around the key frequency area using multiple bands make for better results in most cases than using just one band to do the same job.
This is where the Q10 can really come in handy.

Like I said many times before, you gotta know when and where to use the processors you have. If it doesnt make a better difference to your ears, then dont use it. At the same time dont disqualify or bash it for other ppl because you cant find a proper use for it.

I dont use any of the Q eqs much anymore, but if I had to choose between using the Qs or using the stock EQ in any DAW program, i'd be reaching for the Q.

Depending on the Waves package you bought, you should also try putting the RenEqs to good use.
yaboy
3rd September 2007
Old 3rd September 2007
Gear Head

okay thanx for all da info i wanted to see what would you guys say and how well you guys explained this situation but thnax for all da bad and the good advice and sum that where way to harsh dat the shouldnt have even replied but thanx
3rd September 2007
Old 3rd September 2007
Lives for gear

Why would you pay all that money for Waves and not know how to use them?

yaboy
3rd September 2007
Old 3rd September 2007
Gear Head

cuz i already had it you dont always have to pay for stuff my uncle used to record and he had the program so he gave it to me so yea ever think about that plus i know how to use sum of it i just dont get eq much...so if your gunna seat there and bash go ahead...but think b4 you talk
3rd September 2007
Old 3rd September 2007
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to AnAverageJoe
Quote:

No Setting For Rap Kid, Key thing is do what the music tells you, If vocals has to much low end, throw a HPF in the chain and vocals sound to dull add some presence 3-5k range , if the Vocals are to Sibilant, throw a de-esser in there, but remember this tip that My Engineering Teacher taught me, "Cut Before You Boost" The more you boost on your eq the less headroom you have so keep that in mind!!!!!

---------------- Now playing: Jay-Z - I Made It via FoxyTunes
3rd September 2007
Old 3rd September 2007
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to AnAverageJoe
Quote:
Originally Posted by PettyCash View Post
First off, you havent even mentioned what you are trying to use it for....
Vocals, drums, what is it?

There is no "Auto pilot" setting for the plugin. You are better off seeing who you can sell your Waves bundle package to so you can get back your money for something you might never benefit from having.....straight up!

Word Up Son, Yo just do your research homie, trust me you'll find info
4th September 2007
Old 4th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
cuz i already had it you dont always have to pay for stuff my uncle used to record and he had the program so he gave it to me so yea ever think about that plus i know how to use sum of it i just dont get eq much...so if your gunna seat there and bash go ahead...but think b4 you talk
Did I bash? I merely asked a question...tutt just like you did. Maybe if you didnt type run on sentences, your diatribes would make sense!

If you would take the time to google "eq", instead of rambling here at GS, you would find the answers for your questions..........
4th September 2007
Old 4th September 2007
Lives for gear

goto your library and check out some books (anyone remember librarys? its free) i didnt get the kick in the ass i needed until i actually got some ink & paper in my hands and read the shit on the toilet, on lunch, in my bed, whatever. READ EVERYTHING YOU CAN GET YOUR HANDS ON. TWICE.
4th September 2007
Old 4th September 2007
Lives for gear

Yaboy, first off, grow a thicker skin. You asked the vaguest question imaginable, then get offended at what you called "harsh" advice, which to me read pretty straight forward.

If you cant take criticism, the music industry is not where you want to be. You'll hear a million No's before you hear a yes.

Third, honestly. Learn Q1 and Q2 before you tackle Q10. More is not better. I can count on 1 hand the number of times i've used Q10 ever, and that was only for the hum removal setting, but i use the other Q eq's all the time. learn how to equalize first, and that just takes experimentation, trial and error, reading, etc...

and the guys are right..... use google before you ask to be spoonfed information that is readily available with 5 minutes on a search engine.
4th September 2007
Old 4th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by PettyCash View Post
Id only cut frequencies using a Q eq, it doesnt really offer you anything nice when using it to boost. You gotta know when and were to use it.

The general ideal when mixing or enhancing sound is that you are doing it on the basis of wanting to hear a better difference with the sound in which you are tweaking.

In that case the Q eqs dont offer you much because you wont hear a better difference when boosting frequencies using it, you are better off using something that is more known for adding nice coloring, or using a Linear phase eq to do larger boosts in frequency.

The Q10 comes in handy when you are wanting to do a lot of surgical work. Making cuts and boosts in smaller increments around the key frequency area using multiple bands make for better results in most cases than using just one band to do the same job.
This is where the Q10 can really come in handy.

Like I said many times before, you gotta know when and where to use the processors you have. If it doesnt make a better difference to your ears, then dont use it. At the same time dont disqualify or bash it for other ppl because you cant find a proper use for it.

I dont use any of the Q eqs much anymore, but if I had to choose between using the Qs or using the stock EQ in any DAW program, i'd be reaching for the Q.

Depending on the Waves package you bought, you should also try putting the RenEqs to good use.
Part of being a good engineer or producer is knowing when to reach for the right tool for the job at hand. I can think of 5 other plug eqs I'd reach for for surgical anything (cutting or boosting) before I'd reach for the Q10. I bash it because there are a dozen other tools that will do the same job, way better. I've been using Waves Diamond for a while and have yet to pull up the Q10 eq on a paying session....ever....

Tho, I agree with you that between the stock eqs in a given DAW and the Q eqs, I too would probably reach for the Q. But, why don't you help people strive for better quality tools than a make do attitude. Your posts are starting to remind me of the passive acceptance of an AA meeting...
4th September 2007
Old 4th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitch333 View Post
Part of being a good engineer or producer is knowing when to reach for the right tool for the job at hand. I can think of 5 other plug eqs I'd reach for for surgical anything (cutting or boosting) before I'd reach for the Q10. I bash it because there are a dozen other tools that will do the same job, way better. I've been using Waves Diamond for a while and have yet to pull up the Q10 eq on a paying session....ever....

Tho, I agree with you that between the stock eqs in a given DAW and the Q eqs, I too would probably reach for the Q. But, why don't you help people strive for better quality tools than a make do attitude. Your posts are starting to remind me of the passive acceptance of an AA meeting...
Actually, i gotta say that when i use the Q EQ's, I'm not settling, i'm using them because they are the best tool for the purposes i use them for, very tight surgical cuts in frequencies. I dont know of any plugin EQ that does it better for super narrow notches. When i dont need a super narrow notch i'll notch with the MDW II or Oxford, but they cant do what Q eq's do. So i have to disagree with you, to an extent. However, thats about all i ever use them for, but they excel at it.
4th September 2007
Old 4th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Lewis View Post
Actually, i gotta say that when i use the Q EQ's, I'm not settling, i'm using them because they are the best tool for the purposes i use them for, very tight surgical cuts in frequencies. I dont know of any plugin EQ that does it better for super narrow notches. When i dont need a super narrow notch i'll notch with the MDW II or Oxford, but they cant do what Q eq's do. So i have to disagree with you, to an extent. However, thats about all i ever use them for, but they excel at it.
Thats exactly what I said I would use it for as well, nothing more than surgical work, which I think its suited for due to its flexibility. That is why I would not dismiss using the plugin all together.

Now if only I could use those Q eq's to cut out all the foolish responses from ppl on GS who dont take the time to read other ppls post thuroughly enough before deciding what they are gonna say next......
Either that or send them to SMA.............. "Smart Mouths Anonymous".
4th September 2007
Old 4th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'll try them next time.
I always reach for either the oxford or even MH channelstrip for surgical eqing. I tried the Q10 a few times for numerous eq duties and there was always another eq that worked better. Guess I never tried them for that specific task.
5th September 2007
Old 5th September 2007
Lives for gear

Q4 settings

Here's a snapshot of a Q4 EQ that i'm sitting here using on a mix right now. Notice the "Q" setting on Band 4. What i'm using it on is inconsequential as every sound is different, but suffice it to say, i needed to pull out a nasty frequency in the highs, there was a wide notch of stuff i didnt need in the mids, and i gave it a couple little bumps where i needed it. Sounds great.

I'm sure if i spent more time with another plugin, i could have gotten everything else but the surgical cut as good or better with another plugin or outboard EQ, however, i like to mix fast, and mix by feel, and i grabbed this EQ for the surgical stuff but the other stuff i needed it to do sounded fine, and i kept it movin. It aint a lead vocal so its not like the most crucial element in my mix, though i've used Q eq's on leads before. Anyway, thought i'd share.
-Ken
Attached Images
File Type: png Picture 1.png (33.5 KB, 188 views)
5th September 2007
Old 5th September 2007
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to azwun25 Send a message via Yahoo to azwun25
Quote:
Here's a snapshot of a Q4 EQ that i'm sitting here using on a mix right now. Notice the "Q" setting on Band 4. What i'm using it on is inconsequential as every sound is different, but suffice it to say, i needed to pull out a nasty frequency in the highs, there was a wide notch of stuff i didnt need in the mids, and i gave it a couple little bumps where i needed it. Sounds great.

I'm sure if i spent more time with another plugin, i could have gotten everything else but the surgical cut as good or better with another plugin or outboard EQ, however, i like to mix fast, and mix by feel, and i grabbed this EQ for the surgical stuff but the other stuff i needed it to do sounded fine, and i kept it movin. It aint a lead vocal so its not like the most crucial element in my mix, though i've used Q eq's on leads before. Anyway, thought i'd share.
-Ken
that picture is dangerous...someone who is new and too lazy to learn about EQ is gonna copy that setting and use it on their 2 mix. "yo my mixes is tight once i got that Ken Lewis curve". LOLLOLOL just kidding...i hope
5th September 2007
Old 5th September 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by azwun25 View Post
that picture is dangerous...someone who is new and too lazy to learn about EQ is gonna copy that setting and use it on their 2 mix. "yo my mixes is tight once i got that Ken Lewis curve". LOLLOLOL just kidding...i hope
giving the lazy ones just enough rope to hang themselves

Audio Darwinism

Hey, How did you know that was my mix buss EQ??? Actually i'm lying, thats the EQ on my sub basstutt

somebody stop me with these modicons
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search