Login / Register
 
alternative to Technics 1210s
New Reply
Subscribe
hazza
Thread Starter
#1
1st July 2007
Old 1st July 2007
  #1
Gear Head
 
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 67

Thread Starter
hazza is offline
alternative to Technics 1210s

Hi,

I want just 1 deck to use for sampling and to teach myself to scratch. I've been looking at the Technics 1210 MkII -- seem to be the most popular choice, but unfortunately my dirty student wallet can't really stretch to the £180-200 price at the moment.

I was wondering if anyone could suggest a more student-friendly option which might be a of similar quality...?

Also, I'm assuming I'll need a mixer, even if it's only the 1 deck. Has anyone got a suggestion for that?

Thanks very much -- any thought much appreciated,

-Hazza.
-Q-
#2
1st July 2007
Old 1st July 2007
  #2
-Q-
Gear Head
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 60

-Q- is offline
The 1210 has become the industry standard but is by no way the best turntable out there. If you are wanting to scratch seriously you really owe it to yourself to at least try for a 1210 or equivalent. I'm not sure what is out there competing with the 1210 at the moment. Cheap decks simply don't have enough torque/motor power to keep up to speed as you scratch. The problem I always found with the standard 1210 is the outdated -/+ 8 pitch, for me I often want to take things over this (especially when sampling) and have to do in the computer.

The mixer is just as important as well. You will need one with a good crossfader (preferably one with an adjustable cut-in point) if you plan to scratch.

I haven't been paying attention to the market lately but I'm sure someone will be along soon to advise you.
#3
1st July 2007
Old 1st July 2007
  #3
Lives for gear
 
Darm's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 826

Darm is offline
Numark TT200
they are simply great. I bought them about 3 years ago, and I do scratching, beatjuggling and bodytrics- its all good! My friend got them too
For more tt reviews check skratchworx.com
hazza
Thread Starter
#4
1st July 2007
Old 1st July 2007
  #4
Gear Head
 
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 67

Thread Starter
hazza is offline
thanks guys.

any more opinions on the Numarks? or any other suggestions?

cheers,
-Hazza.
-Q-
#5
1st July 2007
Old 1st July 2007
  #5
-Q-
Gear Head
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 60

-Q- is offline
Yeah, having a quick look around the Technics are looking unworthy. The only reason they hold so strong is that they have proven themselves as the industry standard over time and can therefore ask for the silly price they have been charging for years. In fact I'm tempted to pick up another turntable myself just for sampling. You might benefit hitting up some DJ forums for some proper debate on the topic but prepare as it will get pretty deep. Everyone also loves the 1210 (or used to) as it was the turntable you found everywhere, if you have no plans to DJ in cubs then this doesn't really effect you anyway.
#6
1st July 2007
Old 1st July 2007
  #6
Lives for gear
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,228

Fredrik is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Q- View Post
Yeah, having a quick look around the Technics are looking unworthy. The only reason they hold so strong is that they have proven themselves as the industry standard over time and can therefore ask for the silly price they have been charging for years. In fact I'm tempted to pick up another turntable myself just for sampling. You might benefit hitting up some DJ forums for some proper debate on the topic but prepare as it will get pretty deep. Everyone also loves the 1210 (or used to) as it was the turntable you found everywhere, if you have no plans to DJ in cubs then this doesn't really effect you anyway.
Similar TT cost as much or more IMO, Technics is hard to beat, thats why its still around. There are lots of options today though, I cant comment on the others but scratching puts high demands on the turntable.

To the hazza: I think you should visit a shop that sells dj gear and try some models out for your self, then you will se how well the different models stand up for the task in terms of skipping etc.
Dor
#7
1st July 2007
Old 1st July 2007
  #7
Dor
Lives for gear
 
Dor's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2004
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 1,794
My Recordings/Credits

Dor is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Q- View Post
The problem I always found with the standard 1210 is the outdated -/+ 8 pitch, for me I often want to take things over this (especially when sampling) and have to do in the computer.
The new 1210's go to +/- 16.


D
-Q-
#8
1st July 2007
Old 1st July 2007
  #8
-Q-
Gear Head
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 60

-Q- is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dor View Post
The new 1210's go to +/- 16.


D
I know but the mk2 was the deck in question. If you're going to spend the money that could buy you a modern 1210 then I'm sure that there will be much better options (Vestax being one of them).
#9
1st July 2007
Old 1st July 2007
  #9
Lives for gear
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,228

Fredrik is offline
There are trimmers inside the technics that can be adjusted to extend the pitch range of a mkII. I fail to see the reason to want to pitch stuff beyond 8% though since the music starts to sound really unatural then. For sampling I always avoid pitching at the TT since this will put the sample out of tune and it will be hard to match with other samples later on. The whole pitch issue is of no interest in terms of scratching though IMO.
Dor
#10
1st July 2007
Old 1st July 2007
  #10
Dor
Lives for gear
 
Dor's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2004
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 1,794
My Recordings/Credits

Dor is offline
You can find them used if you check the usual places.
-Q-
#11
1st July 2007
Old 1st July 2007
  #11
-Q-
Gear Head
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 60

-Q- is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredrik View Post
There are trimmers inside the technics that can be adjusted to extend the pitch range of a mkII. I fail to see the reason to want to pitch stuff beyond 8% though since the music starts to sound really unatural then. For sampling I always avoid pitching at the TT since this will put the sample out of tune and it will be hard to match with other samples later on. The whole pitch issue is of no interest in terms of scratching though IMO.
Yeah I see what your saying. I just like to have the freedom to sample creatively, I produce dance music as well which is well known for its sped-up sampling which is probably why I like to have more pitch than just +/- 8.
#12
1st July 2007
Old 1st July 2007
  #12
Lives for gear
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,228

Fredrik is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Q- View Post
Yeah I see what your saying. I just like to have the freedom to sample creatively, I produce dance music as well which is well known for its sped-up sampling which is probably why I like to have more pitch than just +/- 8.
Whats stopping you from transpose in the sampler then? You could get 1000% if you wanted lol. I get your point though, it can be cool to masacre the original sample.
-Q-
#13
1st July 2007
Old 1st July 2007
  #13
-Q-
Gear Head
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 60

-Q- is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredrik View Post
Whats stopping you from transpose in the sampler then? You could get 1000% if you wanted lol. I get your point though, it can be cool to masacre the original sample.
Coming from a DJ background it's very quick for me to throw a tune down and get it in time so that I can hear how it would sound within the context of a track. It would take a lot longer for me to put it through the sampler especially when all I want to do is get a feel for how it would sound in the context of the track.
hazza
Thread Starter
#14
1st July 2007
Old 1st July 2007
  #14
Gear Head
 
Joined: May 2006
Posts: 67

Thread Starter
hazza is offline
cheers guys.

so general concensous is stick with the technics??

-hazza.
#15
1st July 2007
Old 1st July 2007
  #15
Lives for gear
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,228

Fredrik is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by -Q- View Post
Coming from a DJ background it's very quick for me to throw a tune down and get it in time so that I can hear how it would sound within the context of a track. It would take a lot longer for me to put it through the sampler especially when all I want to do is get a feel for how it would sound in the context of the track.
Ok I get you, what turntables do you use then?
#16
1st July 2007
Old 1st July 2007
  #16
Lives for gear
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,228

Fredrik is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by hazza View Post
cheers guys.

so general concensous is stick with the technics??

-hazza.
I would say that technics is tried an proven but there might be others that work aswell, I just have experience with technics so I cant really tell.

My general feeling though is that you want to stick with one that has direct drive, no belt drive.
#17
1st July 2007
Old 1st July 2007
  #17
Gear addict
 
Joined: Dec 2006
Posts: 432

CWsounds is offline
I've been djing for about 7 years... And you should get Technics. period. For the sole reason that that is what you should get used to because they are EVERYWHERE... anywhere else you go technics will be there. They are one of the biggest industry standards... Like NS10's or something.. everyone should get used to them bc they are everwhere and you will eventually have to use them if you ever go to foreign studios..
#18
2nd July 2007
Old 2nd July 2007
  #18
Lives for gear
 
Darm's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Posts: 826

Darm is offline
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWsounds View Post
I've been djing for about 7 years... And you should get Technics. period. For the sole reason that that is what you should get used to because they are EVERYWHERE... anywhere else you go technics will be there. They are one of the biggest industry standards... Like NS10's or something.. everyone should get used to them bc they are everwhere and you will eventually have to use them if you ever go to foreign studios..
I have no problems going from TT200's to 12k's, cuz they got the same torque. The only thing that I miss on 12k's is a handy start/pause button in the left corner (if it's in battle position)
#19
2nd July 2007
Old 2nd July 2007
  #19
Gear maniac
 
LAVLAB's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: Boston, Massachusetts

LAVLAB is offline
numark ttx's here, love em'! almost as much $ as tech's but more advanced and just as solid. if your goin numark i'd at least get the tt-500 if not the ttx.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 
 
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
nukmusic / So much gear, so little time!
2
reinvention.of.man / Rap + Hip Hop engineering & production
6
Relax / Gearslutz Secondhand Gear Classifieds
0
cleantone / Remote Possibilities in Acoustic Music & Location Recording
6
PHARMACIZT_RX / Music Computers
2

Forum Jump

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.