A BASIC VST CHAIN 4 RAP VOCALS
New Reply
Subscribe
TRYN2GETNICE
28th June 2007
Old 28th June 2007
Gear Head

A BASIC VST CHAIN 4 RAP VOCALS

HEY I'M NEW 2 RECORDING AND I WANTED TO KNOW IF THERE IS A BASIC VST CHAIN FOR RAP VOCALS THAT I COULD USE UNTILL I GET A BETTER UNDERSTANDIG OF THE VIRTUAL EFFECTS PROCESS?

PLEASE HELP
28th June 2007
Old 28th June 2007
Lives for gear

if you have a uad1 card: 1176(normal to heavy compression)+la2a (light compression)+Pultec

If you dont have the uad1 card: Rencomp+Fulltec or eq of choice

Then I usually send the vox to a very light verb just enough to give it some space.
29th June 2007
Old 29th June 2007
Lives for gear

others feel free to chime in!
29th June 2007
Old 29th June 2007
Lives for gear

First of all, why do 90% of beginning rappers ask for help w/ CAPS LOCK on?

Basic VST Chain for Rap vocals?

EQ (HPF to remove rumble) > COMPRESSOR (slam it pretty hard and use the make up gain) > 2nd COMPRESSOR (slam it hard again) > EQ (boost or cut to taste)
29th June 2007
Old 29th June 2007
Lives for gear

Send a message via Yahoo to DivineMusic
my vst vocal chains...

Waves RenDeesser > Waves Rcomp > Waves SSL eq
Waves RenDeesser > Waves SSL Strip
Waves RenDeesser > Waves Rvox > Urs N-series or A-series
29th June 2007
Old 29th June 2007
Gear nut

Send a message via AIM to Pistolpete Send a message via Yahoo to Pistolpete
my common chain

Usually I use an EQ, if the vocals are already warm usually I use the Waves q6, if the vocals need more prominence i use URS Eq's (using a high pass filter or cutting low end with 1/3 band eq up to around 80-120 ) Then I usually compress with eithor Waves SSL plugin, Waves Rcomp, Urs Comps and push it fairly hard (usually with a ratio of 2.5 to 4 with a slow attack (around 120ms) and a quick release (usually around 20-40ms) and a Make up gain between 1-6db. If needed I will use another EQ, Usually Waves Q10 if to correct any imperfections without adding much color. On the end i will usually ad a convoloution reverb like waves IR-1 with a studio or hall verb, filtering out the low end and high end above 4-6k, I usually cut the reverb time very short between 4ms and 40ms and just add a touch of wetness to the mix..usually between .20 and .50 ms...(I listen for when the vocals seem to jump out of the speakers (3D).

Thats for the Main vox...

As far as stacks/backups....similar but different...

heres my chain...

Blue tubes stereo widener, EQ (high shelf, cut up to about 125-500hz), Compressor (usually psp vintage warmer, or waves rcomp), then usually a chorus or delay with a very small delay time(or waves doubler), then an overall eq to assist the main vocal in thickness and clarity by adding high end and low mids.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search