MPC Swing Users
Closed
Subscribe
JDN
16th May 2007
Old 16th May 2007
Lives for gear

MPC Swing Users

Just curious, when using swing quantizing on the MPC, do you usually like to aply the same swing to all quantized tracks, or have them slightly different? Also, I'm sure it varies on a song by song bases, but what are peoples favorite swing percentages
16th May 2007
Old 16th May 2007
Gear nut

right now our set up has 2 mpcs. a 2k for drums and a 1k for synths. On drums I usually like to change up the swing on different drums. I'll usually lock in a kick and snare groove then layer some unquantized drums to give it a little more live feel. For the synths I can't stand the quantize on the 1k. I dont know if its just me but I can barely ever get it to quantize nice when I'm using it in conjunction with the 2k. All my synths end up being played unquantized for the most part.
16th May 2007
Old 16th May 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDN View Post
Just curious, when using swing quantizing on the MPC, do you usually like to aply the same swing to all quantized tracks, or have them slightly different? Also, I'm sure it varies on a song by song bases, but what are peoples favorite swing percentages

I dont know about th 2K 1K or the 4K

But the 3000, 60, and 60II I know inside and out.

I try to at least lock the swing on the kick, snr, bassline and main melody.

after that most of the time I shut it off once I get the sound I want to creat the groove then work on the background layers.

It all depends on the style of track.

It it col to have differnt swing shifts on certain tracks. Mostly underground stuff. Its give it that live but programed sound. just a litle bit off but in sync.

Please ask more questions about the Roger Lynn series!

I got chew
AON
16th May 2007
Old 16th May 2007
AON
Gear addict

^^^ The man´s name is LINN.
16th May 2007
Old 16th May 2007
Lives for gear

Even when it's a "straight" 1/ 8th or 1/16th beat a swing of like 52-55 can give it that feel..
Pushed past 67, that's getting into like a James Brown, very funky thing..

Sometimes mixing swing values works..depends..

I like turning quantize off and going for it.
16th May 2007
Old 16th May 2007
Gear Head

54 on the drums here
16th May 2007
Old 16th May 2007
Lives for gear

18th June 2010
Old 18th June 2010
Gear nut

Send a message via AIM to YumYumRolex
How do you turn off Quantization on an MPC....Dumb question but I just got a 3000 and Im not familiar with it...
18th June 2010
Old 18th June 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justice View Post
I dont know about th 2K 1K or the 4K

But the 3000, 60, and 60II I know inside and out.

I try to at least lock the swing on the kick, snr, bassline and main melody.

after that most of the time I shut it off once I get the sound I want to creat the groove then work on the background layers.

It all depends on the style of track.

It it col to have differnt swing shifts on certain tracks. Mostly underground stuff. Its give it that live but programed sound. just a litle bit off but in sync.

Please ask more questions about the Roger Lynn series!

I got chew
^^^Co-sign thumbsup
18th June 2010
Old 18th June 2010
Lives for gear

52-54 here,
but I move notes forward and backwards
+/- 2-4, on all tracks
hihats first, then other percussion,
snare/clap always later -2/3 works for me
kick - usually I like kick 'on beat', so here minimal -1/2

18th June 2010
Old 18th June 2010
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by YumYumRolex View Post
How do you turn off Quantization on an MPC....Dumb question but I just got a 3000 and Im not familiar with it...
I turn off quantize very often. When it´s on, often different settings for different instruments. Specially for drum fills, I can´t never be happy with quantiized fills. Hi-hats and percussion is also better when not quantized. You can also use different quantize settings for the same instrument on the same sequence, like a kick, you can do the first hit on every bar with quantize on, then turn it off and record some other hits...

One thing that I cant live without no more is the JJOSXL grid edit, so I can easily make some tweaks/corrections on some notes that I want to put a little more early or a little more later.
18th June 2010
Old 18th June 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDN View Post
I don't, but each person has to find there own groove.

Yes i use swing, no i don't use the same setting on each beat. For me it all depends on the BPM and pattern.

The swing, if programming from the first note, all depends if i am using any even numbers I.E. no even numbers/off beats then no swing for the kick or snare as no matter how much is applied it will touch nothing! ( i often make beats using no swing as its simply not needed for the patten.)

As said I have no set formula so it depends on the patten if am gonna swing the kicks or off snare or if am gonna swing the hats. (i use swing as a timing correction and thats all.) I do not swing with more than one setting. For me the feel of quantized drums can be real funky as long as you break up the flow and push things a little.... see shift.

Just as important or even far more important is the shift. No real drummer ever hits any of the hats/kicks snare so on to the same exact point so just break it up and use your ear.... If your getting it right to drum are gonna breath.... Once you play yours keys or drop your sample it should gel a lot better. I tend to quantise my drum elements but always play my keys live these days.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=10LCZODPQFE
18th June 2010
Old 18th June 2010
Lives for gear

would be real usefull to have a randomize feature on board (mpc).like the roland r8.Theres no end to the settings one could apply if instigated correctly.Roger,what were you thinking??Well i guess weve got software ect for that.(jj os?)
18th June 2010
Old 18th June 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
There's a big ass dedicated button for timing correction. Use it.
19th June 2010
Old 19th June 2010
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaeOne3345 View Post
There's a big ass dedicated button for timing correction. Use it.
I knew that already Smart Guy
19th June 2010
Old 19th June 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
I knew that already Smart Guy
you did? well your timing correct and swing information is in that menu.
19th June 2010
Old 19th June 2010
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaeOne3345 View Post
you did? well your timing correct and swing information is in that menu.
Yeah I know, I couldnt remember where I saw that at, I thought it was on one of the upper buttons, but I take it you have a 3000? You got a myspace?
19th June 2010
Old 19th June 2010
Lives for gear

Quote:
this is actually the dumbest question i have ever seen on here. in fact, it's hard to believe that you don't know how to turn off: you turn that same knob you use to adjust the quantize. just turn it all the way to the left. you gotta make a reasonable effort to learn stuff before coming on here asking questions.
19th June 2010
Old 19th June 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by fooloof View Post
this is actually the dumbest question i have ever seen on here. in fact, it's hard to believe that you don't know how to turn off: you turn that same knob you use to adjust the quantize. just turn it all the way to the left. you gotta make a reasonable effort to learn stuff before coming on here asking questions.
I'm pretty sure he was being a smart ass... Anyway, thread closed.
Closed Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search