Does anyone here use the Groove Tubes GT50???
Contra
27th April 2007
Old 27th April 2007
Gear nut

Does anyone here use the Groove Tubes GT50???

thoughts please.

am thinking about buying one,
my choices were that ro the m-audio luna (but id rather go with GT.)

lemme kno any experiences or problems w/ it?

pz and thanks.
28th April 2007
Old 28th April 2007
Died for gear

Tried it out on a Premier 22" kick about 1' out. Sounded thick and burly..... the way a kick should be. That is my only experience with it.
Contra
28th April 2007
Old 28th April 2007
Gear nut

well i mean damn thas a start, so if it made that kick thump thas a +1

now any opinions on it for vocals and also instruments (prefreably saxophone,trombone and trumpet.)????

pz and thanks.
29th April 2007
Old 29th April 2007
Lives for gear

i have a GT55, i assume thats a similar mic. its a pretty good instrument mic, never used it on vocals. probably fine for the money. I'd suggest a Studio Projects B1 over the GT55, that B1 is the best mic for the money i've ever bought.

Also, the tech editor for REMIX Magazine was absolutely raving about the Studio Projects T3, which goes new on Ebay for around $500 to $600. Might be worth saving a bit more for. He was comparing it as an equal to the U87 at 5 times the cost.

As far as the GT55 goes. I love it underneath the snare, its ok on floor tom, hated it on kick, not good on hat, decent as a 3rd mic on the bass strings on piano, decent micing bass cabs. B1 was better all around.
Contra
30th April 2007
Old 30th April 2007
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Lewis View Post
i have a GT55, i assume thats a similar mic. its a pretty good instrument mic, never used it on vocals. probably fine for the money. I'd suggest a Studio Projects B1 over the GT55, that B1 is the best mic for the money i've ever bought.

Also, the tech editor for REMIX Magazine was absolutely raving about the Studio Projects T3, which goes new on Ebay for around $500 to $600. Might be worth saving a bit more for. He was comparing it as an equal to the U87 at 5 times the cost.

As far as the GT55 goes. I love it underneath the snare, its ok on floor tom, hated it on kick, not good on hat, decent as a 3rd mic on the bass strings on piano, decent micing bass cabs. B1 was better all around.

how about the studio projects C3?
i think that may be more in my range, im also assuming that studio projects' mics have that all around equal quality on their mics.

i could be wrong, this buy is a very important addition to the Broke Man's Studio.

pz
30th April 2007
Old 30th April 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Contra View Post
how about the studio projects C3?
i think that may be more in my range, im also assuming that studio projects' mics have that all around equal quality on their mics.

i could be wrong, this buy is a very important addition to the Broke Man's Studio.

pz
work some overtime, dont go out next weekend, stop smoking, etc... save up and get a really good mic. Its the best single investment you can make in a recording studio.

I havent used the C3, but a C1 is the same thing without the extra polar patterns which are usually not needed.
Contra
30th April 2007
Old 30th April 2007
Gear nut

Quote:
work some overtime, dont go out next weekend, stop smoking, etc... save up and get a really good mic. Its the best single investment you can make in a recording studio.

I havent used the C3, but a C1 is the same thing without the extra polar patterns which are usually not needed.

see i know alot of cats may havee got mad at that, but actually some very logical advice, but my first "drug free" weekend is being spent in gettin some monitors first, the week after, the c3.

pz
30th April 2007
Old 30th April 2007
Lives for gear

good to see you prioritizing Contra
30th April 2007
Old 30th April 2007
Lives for gear

I dont know about the new Groove tubes mics but I had an original MD1. We used it on vocals over many 'high end' mics out in Long Island including: rode classic and a U87. I had to sell it to afford to leave NYC :(
I see them for >700 used from time to time

that was a great mic
Contra
1st May 2007
Old 1st May 2007
Gear nut

Quote:
good to see you prioritizing Contra
maaaaaaan you bastard!!!!

as the days go by and i read more and more about it (plus the price) I want the C1 mic now more than the GT50.

pz
1st May 2007
Old 1st May 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitch333 View Post
I dont know about the new Groove tubes mics but I had an original MD1. We used it on vocals over many 'high end' mics out in Long Island including: rode classic and a U87. I had to sell it to afford to leave NYC :(
I see them for >700 used from time to time

that was a great mic
Yeah. We have one of them. I haven't used it yet. (I always seem to forget about it) But now it'll be in the mix for vocals tomorrow. Thanks for reminding me. thumbsup
Attached Thumbnails
Does anyone here use the Groove Tubes GT50???-close.jpg  
Contra
1st May 2007
Old 1st May 2007
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmmrboy View Post
Yeah. We have one of them. I haven't used it yet. (I always seem to forget about it) But now it'll be in the mix for vocals tomorrow. Thanks for reminding me. thumbsup
so is it that the newer GT products arent "as good" as the older?

how them TB1's treating you, and is it solely used for "non vocals?"
(my concern is the vocals)

pz
1st May 2007
Old 1st May 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
so is it that the newer GT products arent "as good" as the older?

how them TB1's treating you, and is it solely used for "non vocals?"
(my concern is the vocals)
I really don't know about the newer GT mics, so I probably shouldn't have chimed in. (I'll be trying that MD1 tomorrow, though)

I haven't used the TB1's on vocals. Just drums & acoustic guitar. Worked well, surprised me. thumbsup

A few months ago one of the guys cut all the (female) vox on a project with a TB1. Picked it over a U87 & 414. I'm not saying it's a 87 slayer. It just happened to work for her vox, & the tracks sound great.
Contra
2nd May 2007
Old 2nd May 2007
Gear nut

thanks for all your help everyone, ended up shellin out for the c3.

pz
3rd May 2007
Old 3rd May 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmmrboy View Post

Something that helps with tubemics in general is to allow a burn in time for the tube. Leave it on 24/7 for a week or so...
Contra
4th May 2007
Old 4th May 2007
Gear nut

anyone here who has the c3 have their mic modded by Brent Casey(condenser rev)??

pz
5th May 2007
Old 5th May 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
anyone here who has the c3 have their mic modded by Brent Casey(condenser rev)??

pz
Ive never opened up a c3 or even heard of Brent Casey but a couple of things to look for as far as improving the performance of the mic:
-swap capsule
-change transformer
-replace electrolytics with quality parts

any of these mods will help the record quality of poorly constructed microphones, but try the mic first before you frankenstein it...you might just dig it as is....
Contra
5th May 2007
Old 5th May 2007
Gear nut

Quote:
Ive never opened up a c3 or even heard of Brent Casey but a couple of things to look for as far as improving the performance of the mic:
-swap capsule
-change transformer
-replace electrolytics with quality parts

any of these mods will help the record quality of poorly constructed microphones, but try the mic first before you frankenstein it...you might just dig it as is....
so basically your saying i bought a crap mic? well at least its better than my old samson c01 condenser....lol/
7th May 2007
Old 7th May 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
so basically your saying i bought a crap mic? well at least its better than my old samson c01 condenser....lol/
not at all, mang...especially because I havent heard that mic. I was responding to a question of modifiying microphones. One of my techs on the west coast has been saying the studio project mics are great and dude knows good gear so Id imagine they cant be all bad. My suggestions are for improving low cost microphone performance. Ive heard $300 mics modded out the ass sound as quality as $2500 mics...Im looking into building my own damn mic at this point...
Contra
8th May 2007
Old 8th May 2007
Gear nut

Quote:
not at all, mang...especially because I havent heard that mic. I was responding to a question of modifiying microphones. One of my techs on the west coast has been saying the studio project mics are great and dude knows good gear so Id imagine they cant be all bad. My suggestions are for improving low cost microphone performance. Ive heard $300 mics modded out the ass sound as quality as $2500 mics...Im looking into building my own damn mic at this point...

ahh ok now i get ya. yea its true since u can pretty much do that nowadays.(building your own mic)

pz
14th May 2007
Old 14th May 2007
Gear maniac

I have the GT55.

I find it to be a decent all-around instrument mic and a good mic for bassier male vocals.

And it works really well with some dynamics on a cab.
14th May 2007
Old 14th May 2007
Gear interested

I have GT55 an I am very pleased with the sound. My raps are a lot warmer than with some other more expensive mics.
15th May 2007
Old 15th May 2007
Gear maniac

My GT55 also sounds good on many things.
With Hip hop I have found the GT55 to fairly good on vocals, but I still prefer a
SM57 just about any day. It seems that emcees think they need the condenser mic for some reason, and I have a hell of a time just getting some of them to even try a 57.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search