ROLAND jv-2080 VS. xv-3080 VS. xv-5050
Old 20th April 2007
  #1
Lives for gear
 
MERC476's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
ROLAND jv-2080 VS. xv-3080 VS. xv-5050

For anyone either of these or all,

I'm looking to get a used (new to me ) sound module in the $400 price range and I've heard alot about the 2080, a little less about the 3080 and hardly anything about the 5050. That being said, I can find all three of these in the same price range. I want t go for the 5050 because it's the newer of all three models and it has the usb and all the editor and all that but i've never heard it or heard anyone talk about it. I'm going strictly based on the reviews from the previous models. But I don't know anyone who has any of these 3 to even try them out. Just heard alot about the jv series. ANY SUGGESTIONS!?!??!?
Old 20th April 2007
  #2
Lives for gear
 
Kestral's Avatar
 

If you're looking for the best sounding one, the 5050 is the best sounding of the bunch.

However...

JV-2080 can hold 8 of the old JV Expansion boards
XV-3080 can hold 4 of the old JV Expansion boards and 2 of the new SRX Expansion boards
XV-5050 can hold 2 of the new SRX Expansion boards
Old 20th April 2007
  #3
Quote:
Originally Posted by MERC476 View Post
ANY SUGGESTIONS!?!??!?
Sure.

Find a 5080.
Old 20th April 2007
  #4
Lives for gear
 
MERC476's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
Good info

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kestral View Post
If you're looking for the best sounding one, the 5050 is the best sounding of the bunch.

However...

JV-2080 can hold 8 of the old JV Expansion boards
XV-3080 can hold 4 of the old JV Expansion boards and 2 of the new SRX Expansion boards
XV-5050 can hold 2 of the new SRX Expansion boards
Good info. Thanks. I'm always looking for the best sound. However, would you say quantity beats quality in this case?
Old 20th April 2007
  #5
Lives for gear
 
MERC476's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
5080

Quote:
Originally Posted by thethrillfactor View Post
Sure.

Find a 5080.
5080 is way above my budget. But now that we're on that one. Would you suggest the 5080 over the motif rack?
Old 20th April 2007
  #6
Gear Head
 

Hmmm, I'd be interested in hearing anyone with experience with these too.
I was just about to buy an xv5050 but am hesitating now in respect the increased benefits of the fantom xr.
Old 20th April 2007
  #7
Lives for gear
 
Kestral's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MERC476 View Post
Good info. Thanks. I'm always looking for the best sound. However, would you say quantity beats quality in this case?
Hi MRC476, I'm actually in a similar situation as you. I find that with the XV and JV series, the stock sounds in the modules aren't very good at all. Which means that imo you pretty much have to buy the SRX and JV/XP boards.

The thing with the SRX boards is that a lot of them contain all the sounds of anywhere from 3-6 of the JV/XP boards. So for me, the expansion capabilities are important.

There's a guy called "Don Solaris" on the Harmony Central synths board who is a guru in all things Roland, I asked him a similar question as yourself, here was his response:

Quote:
Don't go with the 3080. It has 32 kHz samples and engine. JD-990 is 44.1 kHz - sonically a big difference. If you can live with computer based editing, go with the XV-5050 - it is true 44.1 kHz engine and samples and it features Effects block A from JD-990 available as one of the MFX.

If you need "hands on editing" go with XV-5080. Good news is that all waveforms that were transferred from the JD-990 are 44.1 while others from Super JV are 32 kHz but upsampled to 44.1 since the engine is 44.1 kHz.

Actually i am the only one who found this out about the JD waveforms on 5080 being 44.1, and will publish results as soon as i double check everything.

Keep that in mind that 5050 if full 44.1kHz, while 5080 is mixed 44.1 (JD) and 32 (JV) - does make a difference if you seek perfection. Personally i would go with 5050.
In my case I have the budget for a 5080, I've been waiting for one to pop up here in Canada for a decent price as I'd likely fill it up immediately with SRX expansion boards.
Old 20th April 2007
  #8
Lives for gear
 

the XV-5050 has some sounds from the Fantom AFAIK.

btw, for those who want to edit on their computer screens, there's a free librarian/patch/bank editor a la Sounddiver for the XV series on Roland's website - you don't HAVE to use the hardware for editing purposes.
nice for backups and loading custom user banks.
Quote
1
Old 20th April 2007
  #9
Lives for gear
 
MERC476's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
Oh man...i'm all confused now. So at this point, i'm leaning towards the 5050 but does it only hold 2 of the SRX cards and no JV cards?

Is anyone have the 5080 and the Motif? Thanks for info guys. Keep them coming cause I want to make a purchase soon. Right now, there's someone selling the 5050 for $400 buy it now on ebay. thinking of getting it, just wanna make sure I make the right choice.

www.myspace.com/theboilerroom401
Old 20th April 2007
  #10
Gear addict
 
Barznbeats1's Avatar
 

5050 is good for pads and clean sounds. Kinda boring though. I sold mine. I like the 5080 better.
Old 20th April 2007
  #11
Gear maniac
 
tone4407's Avatar
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barznbeats1 View Post
5050 is good for pads and clean sounds. Kinda boring though. I sold mine. I like the 5080 better.
Doesn't the 5050 have the exact same sounds as the 5080??
Old 20th April 2007
  #12
MDM
Gear maniac
 
MDM's Avatar
 

i think everything that roland made since the JD-990 sucks bigtime

get Yamaha Motif rack instead - MUCH better.. even Korg is better ...

or, get a used JD-990.. that sound has balls and guts and sings and is pretty

JV = like canned food... Yuk. no matter how much spices you add.

my 2 cents
Old 21st April 2007
  #13
Quote:
Originally Posted by MDM View Post
i think everything that roland made since the JD-990 sucks bigtime

get Yamaha Motif rack instead - MUCH better.. even Korg is better ...

or, get a used JD-990.. that sound has balls and guts and sings and is pretty

JV = like canned food... Yuk. no matter how much spices you add.

my 2 cents
The 5080 sounds good and has all the sounds from the JD-990.
Old 25th April 2007
  #14
Moderator
 
delcosmos's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by thethrillfactor View Post
The 5080 sounds good and has all the sounds from the JD-990.
Finally I know something you don't!!!!

Nop, the 5080 doesn't have the sounds from 990, the 990 can read the old "vintage keys" card, but that card have some sounds written especifically for the 990.
You can't find any of the sounds of the 990 on the 5080. Believe me, I bought my first 2 JD990 in 1993 and I have since 2001, and I got my beloved XV5080 with all the expansion boards filled, I also have a JV1080, JV2080 and the XV3080. Yes the 1080, 2080, 3080 and 5080 belongs to the same family but the 990 is a completel different story, his big brother is the JD800.
BTW the XV5080 is a MONSTER!!!

All the best.

Armando Avila.
Old 25th April 2007
  #15
Lives for gear
 
MERC476's Avatar
 

Thread Starter
Got the MOTIF

So I found a refurbished Motif ES rack at Musiciansfriend.com for $879. I'll be getting it by Monday...HOPEFULLY. I went a bit WAY over my $400 budget but I just need it in my life right about now. Thanks for all your feedback. Still want the 5080 now but that's gonna have to hold for now.
Old 25th April 2007
  #16
Quote:
Originally Posted by delcosmos View Post
Finally I know something you don't!!!!

Nop, the 5080 doesn't have the sounds from 990, the 990 can read the old "vintage keys" card, but that card have some sounds written especifically for the 990.
You can't find any of the sounds of the 990 on the 5080. Believe me, I bought my first 2 JD990 in 1993 and I have since 2001, and I got my beloved XV5080 with all the expansion boards filled, I also have a JV1080, JV2080 and the XV3080. Yes the 1080, 2080, 3080 and 5080 belongs to the same family but the 990 is a completel different story, his big brother is the JD800.
BTW the XV5080 is a MONSTER!!!

All the best.

Armando Avila.
Hi Armando,

What i know about anything technical can fit in a thumbnail.

Also you know 2 of the most important things in Music: how to make hit records and how to write hit songs. For that alone bro you are miles ahead of me.

But...i am pretty sure the 5080 has the waveforms from the 990 and isn't Preset bank F i think the 990 patches? Again i know i can be wrong on this one and i haven't owned one in a while but i do remember something similar.
Old 25th April 2007
  #17
Lives for gear
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thethrillfactor View Post
Also you know 2 of the most important things in Music: how to make hit records and how to write hit songs.
is there a book on this topic I can buy at Amazon?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thethrillfactor View Post
But...i am pretty sure the 5080 has the waveforms from the 990 and isn't Preset bank F i think the 990 patches?
over 100 of the waveforms were imported.
about the exact number of sounds, I would have to ask senior Persing, cause he made them.

(oh and the JD990 went from $150 some months ago to $350-400 now. LOL)
Old 25th April 2007
  #18
Lives for gear
 
Dr.Wu's Avatar
 

the 5080 does not exactly sound like the JD.
The JD had oscillator sync and a different sounding filter and DA.
That said the 5080 is the best samplebased synth from Roland sofar IMHO.
Sounds great and is a breeze to edit thanks to the big display.
thumbsup
Old 25th April 2007
  #19
no ssl yet
Guest
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkusColeman View Post
is there a book on this topic I can buy at Amazon?



over 100 of the waveforms were imported.
about the exact number of sounds, I would have to ask senior Persing, cause he made them.

(oh and the JD990 went from $150 some months ago to $350-400 now. LOL)
Damn if I had seen them at $150 I would have picked up 1-2 more. I think having a fantom and a JD990 or 2 gives you all the Roland you'll need for quite some time.
Old 9th May 2014
  #20
Gear interested
 

Old 4th June 2014
  #21
Gear interested
 

Hi My XV5080 having digital glitches in some patches.I did recalling factory presets.Still some patch do glitch.I can hear in the headphone out.Anybody any idea about the problem?
Old 6th June 2014
  #22
Gear addict
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MERC476 View Post
So I found a refurbished Motif ES rack at Musiciansfriend.com for $879. I'll be getting it by Monday...HOPEFULLY. I went a bit WAY over my $400 budget but I just need it in my life right about now. Thanks for all your feedback. Still want the 5080 now but that's gonna have to hold for now.
wait, I hope you mean Motif Rack XS and not the ES...because an ES should only be around $500-$700 tops. I sold mine for about $500 to Guitar Center back in 2010 and bought NI Komplete with the money...
Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Similar Threads
Thread
Thread Starter / Forum
Replies
nelsongrae / Rap + Hip Hop engineering & production
14
rolo / Gearslutz Secondhand Gear Classifieds
1
Dopamine / Gearslutz Secondhand Gear Classifieds
0
rickrock305 / Gearslutz Secondhand Gear Classifieds
0
bigbaby987 / Gearslutz Secondhand Gear Classifieds
9

Forum Jump
 
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.