Full sounding vocals?
kaoticmnc
23rd March 2007
Old 23rd March 2007
Gear interested

Full sounding vocals?

I have a singer who is really good but she is a breathy singer, so when i record her it doesn't always sound full, it sounds empty, i record a main track and then i have her record two more and i pan the second two hard left and right, but that doesn't make a difference...is it not how many tracks but what i do in the mix to make the vocals sound more full and if thats the case then what are some things i can do to make her voice sound full and not so empty...and if you don't know can you point me to a reference that might know, thank you
23rd March 2007
Old 23rd March 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaoticmnc View Post
I have a singer who is really good but she is a breathy singer, so when i record her it doesn't always sound full, it sounds empty, i record a main track and then i have her record two more and i pan the second two hard left and right, but that doesn't make a difference...is it not how many tracks but what i do in the mix to make the vocals sound more full and if thats the case then what are some things i can do to make her voice sound full and not so empty...and if you don't know can you point me to a reference that might know, thank you
how about posting a few seconds with and without the mix... i think it may be tough for anyone to advise without hearing... only thing i can think of off hand is to use proximity effect to your advantage... possibly harmonies... subtle verb or delay (short and tuned)... new microphone... new preamp... could be lots of things... try listing your vocal chain as well
23rd March 2007
Old 23rd March 2007
Lives for gear

sweep with a tight bandwidth in the upper frequencies till you zero in on the real BREATHY spot... it'll almost sound like she's whispering along with her lead... then duck that a few db's... then you can sweep with another band in the 500-1000 hz range and try to find the MEAT of the vocal and boost that slightly
23rd March 2007
Old 23rd March 2007
Lives for gear

How about using something like a U87 to bring out some presence in her voice, or preferably something along the lines of a U67 to tone down the air? Something like a U47 might just sit on her voice completely but I've heard the Peluso 2247 LE used to pretty good effect on female gospel-ish stuff. Anyway, it sounds to me as if you need a vocal chain that accentuates the presence area more (or doesn't accentuate other areas as much).

If you're stuck with the recordings you have, I would just suggest raising the mids a couple of dB (any more will probably sound unnatural), and rolling off the air. The person before me is definitely right about the meaty 500-1000 Hz stuff, although I'd be tempted to look a bit beyond 1000 Hz as well. Bring out a bit of that meat and a touch (NOT TOO MUCH) of whatever presence you can find around 3-5 kHz, give or take, and roll off the air some and you should be fine.

BTW if the vocals are airy, you're probably not going to make them sound any less so by recording three tracks of them and having them literally left, right and centre. That's probably not going to focus them. If anything, I guess it would probably make her sound more like a little choir of angels or something.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search