Login / Register

Engineers "stealing" producers sounds, and selling them to OTHER producers???
Closed
Subscribe
Bjones
17th March 2007
Old 17th March 2007
Gear Head

Engineers "stealing" producers sounds, and selling them to OTHER producers???

So, tonight a new rap group came down to my house to record. As we got down to basement, the producer instantly recognized a local rapper, on a picture of the wall. He's like..."Yo...you engineered ____'s album?" I'm like yeah. And he's like "Yo...I Loved that album...hey, if you can get the session files, and burn me a CD of all the drums solo'd, I'll throw you a stack".
($1,000)

Of course, I accepted. Funny thing is, the producer on that album he wanted the drums from, used a Triton for 95% of the album. So this producer could of just bought a Triton for the same price, had all those sounds and MORE haha.

Anyways, I was wondering does this happen alot to/with "industry" producers? Anybody have any experiences they'd like to share?
17th March 2007
Old 17th March 2007
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to NesNeedsGear
I sign a clause of Confidentiality when I record an artist (part of contract).
It's absolutely written in ink that nobody will hear the lyrics, session files, mix, or final DAT and CD masters without written permission.

I'm sure you needed money, and I may have done the same (and gotten me another sweet ass channel of Great River mic Pre). But something tells me I would've said "get a triton and figure it out" to that guy.

Trust is a HUGE issue in this industry.

As for "does this happen much" in commercially distributed music....maybe so, but i'd think there are huge legal ramifications for the offending party.
17th March 2007
Old 17th March 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjones View Post
So, tonight a new rap group came down to my house to record. As we got down to basement, the producer instantly recognized a local rapper, on a picture of the wall. He's like..."Yo...you engineered ____'s album?" I'm like yeah. And he's like "Yo...I Loved that album...hey, if you can get the session files, and burn me a CD of all the drums solo'd, I'll throw you a stack".
($1,000)

Of course, I accepted. Funny thing is, the producer on that album he wanted the drums from, used a Triton for 95% of the album. So this producer could of just bought a Triton for the same price, had all those sounds and MORE haha.

Anyways, I was wondering does this happen alot to/with "industry" producers? Anybody have any experiences they'd like to share?

WOW!!!!! I cannot believe you'd actually sell another producers sounds to someone else. Geez, that'll get you shot by some people.

The most valuable, sacred item in any studio is the client files. You should treat them as such. Nothing, no piece of gear, not the whole damn studio is more valuable than your client files. If my studio was burning down, I'd grab my client drives, and my sample library first. You are obviously a local engineer and will definitely stay that way if you stay alive with this approach to business.

I dont care if the sounds came straight from a stock Triton. Unless that producer gave you express permission to share his files with the rest of the world, you just committed an absolute cardinal sin of this industry. I hope $1,000 is worth selling your soul.

Acts like this make all producers, artists, labels, etc... suspicious of every studio, every engineer. I'm just stunned.
17th March 2007
Old 17th March 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Anyways, I was wondering does this happen alot to/with "industry" producers?
Nope. This is absolutely out of the question.
17th March 2007
Old 17th March 2007
Lives for gear

No joke. Extremely uncool.
17th March 2007
Old 17th March 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Lewis View Post
WOW!!!!! I cannot believe you'd actually sell another producers sounds to someone else. Geez, that'll get you shot by some people.

The most valuable, sacred item in any studio is the client files. You should treat them as such. Nothing, no piece of gear, not the whole damn studio is more valuable than your client files. If my studio was burning down, I'd grab my client drives, and my sample library first. You are obviously a local engineer and will definitely stay that way if you stay alive with this approach to business.

I dont care if the sounds came straight from a stock Triton. Unless that producer gave you express permission to share his files with the rest of the world, you just committed an absolute cardinal sin of this industry. I hope $1,000 is worth selling your soul.

Acts like this make all producers, artists, labels, etc... suspicious of every studio, every engineer. I'm just stunned.

took the words right off my fingers. i am stunned that this dude has the audacity to even say "of course i accepted", like its all good!

Wow is right, whew. dfegad
17th March 2007
Old 17th March 2007
Lives for gear

seriously this will get you shot, or f(*$d up if the wrong people find out. tutt

Never ever, under any circumstances relase client files to ANYONE except the client! (can be hard NOT to relase files to the (usually begging) artist, when the client is the label, and you haven't been paid!) but you gotta do that sometimes.

carma is a BEIIOOCH... look out..
Producer / Mixer / Engineer
17th March 2007
Old 17th March 2007
Lives for gear

Send a message via Yahoo to djui5
Quote:
Originally Posted by e-cue View Post
Nope. This is absolutely out of the question.
Yep, and so is this guys career.
17th March 2007
Old 17th March 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Lewis View Post
thats my reaction too...How truely fukd up and lame!
I have about 4000 data dvds in boxes of sessions from every and any philly artist (and some NYC and LA artists as well) In my 6 years of 24/7 work when I was in PHL not once did any artist, producer, engineer, manager, label, lawyer, etc. get ANYTHING that they werent supposed to. And I did hear of kids getting shot for this very reason (as well as loosing rap battles, sneakers and block territory)
Im truly saddened to hear this and the fact you seem psyked really is the kicker...
Id put an extra deadbolt or three on the door with that kinda work ethic.

wack

"Run to the hills, run for your lives."
-Iron Maiden
17th March 2007
Old 17th March 2007
Gear addict

truly, never ever anyone plays with clients/muscians files/data`s whatever!

AND NEVER SELL IT!

dumb.......
17th March 2007
Old 17th March 2007
Lives for gear

It might cost you a stack to keep the guy you sold the sounds too to keep his mouth shut.

Sometimes you make the right decisions, sometimes you gotta make the decisions right.
17th March 2007
Old 17th March 2007
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to Tibbon Send a message via Skype™ to Tibbon
Not so cool.

At the same time, if I had already made an album, and released it... screw it. Then you can have all my already used sounds/beats. If that's what you want to sound like (a ripoff of someone else's sounds, and yesterday's sound) then more power to you. I'd prefer to sound like something that isn't already out there. I don't think that Peter Gabriel is worrying that someone will make a huge hit off his tracks from "Shock the Monkey" that he put out a while ago. Hell, 95% of the people couldn't even get the tracks to line up, let alone make something musical out of it. I have about the same amount of worry if someone got my stuff.

But seriously, anyways. Not so cool. It wasn't really yours to sell.
17th March 2007
Old 17th March 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Of course, I accepted.
Are you freakin' kidding me???? Please tell me you are joking because that's just about the dumbest thing you can do.

Right about now you should have three major concerns:
1) Nobody on this forum, or anyone else who learns about this idiotic thing you did, will ever be willing to work with you.
2) That's the kind of thing that people REALLY DO get a beat-down for.
3) The legal ramifications (ie. getting sued) can be rather significant.
Three international #1 hit radio singles
Me: www.vonpimpenstein.com | Studio: www.feistychicken.com | Facebook: www.facebook.com/chriscarterproducer
MIX RATES: Standard major label $700, Standard indie/unsigned $299(temporary price from $550), Promo $49-$99
17th March 2007
Old 17th March 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
($1,000)

This brings a few famous quotes to mind...

"Men are not punished for their sins, but by them."
— Elbert Hubbard, American entrepreneur and philosopher (founder of the Roycroft firm) (1856-1915)

“Watch your thoughts, for they become words.
Watch your words, for they become actions.
Watch your actions, for they become habits.
Watch your habits, for they become character.
Watch your character, for it becomes your destiny.”
— Unknown

“Thoughts lead on to purposes; purposes go forth in action; actions form habits; habits decide character; and character fixes our destiny.”
— Unknown

“No man is more cheated than a selfish man.”
— Henry Ward Beecher, American preacher (1813-1887)

“People pay for what they do, and still more, for what they have allowed themselves to become. And they pay for it simply: by the lives they lead.”
— Edith Wharton, American novelist (1862-1937), from The Age of Innocence

"Any man will usually get from other men just what he is expecting of them. If he is looking for friendship he will likely receive it. If his attitude is that of indifference, it will beget indifference. And if a man is looking for a fight, he will in all likelihood be accommodated in that."
— John Richelsen

Website - Genetically Modified Music

My Band - Ryst
17th March 2007
Old 17th March 2007
Lives for gear

I'd gladly share my drum library with anyone who asked, but if someone SOLD my shit? I'd be heated.

Hopefully, your username here isn't recognizable as your real name or this could get you in big trouble. Don't make the same mistake again.

Tony, I know it's not your responsibilty to protect people from themselves, but you might want to delete this one.
17th March 2007
Old 17th March 2007
Lives for gear

If you didn't do it, someone esle would..

It's not like he asked for the ablum to bootleg it..

Also, if the tracks were 95% of the triton drums, that's his stupidity..

I wouldn't brag about, just take the money and play stupid..

Closed Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search