Frank Gryner: Maynard's tracking vocal chain on mer
Subscribe
trashman
24th October 2009
Old 24th October 2009
Lives for gear

Frank Gryner: Maynard's tracking vocal chain on mer

Love the sound of this album overall.

Maynard's vocals are just perfect on this record ... I was hoping that you might remember what the recording chain was.

Thanks!
24th October 2009
Old 24th October 2009
special guest

Sadly, I didn't do any of the vocal tracking on that record. I recorded Josh's drums on 4 or 5 tracks. I believe Billy Howerdel recorded Maynard's vocals for most or all of Mer de Noms.
24th October 2009
Old 24th October 2009
Gear maniac

Frank Gryner: Drums on APC Mer de Noms

Awesome drum sounds, some of my favorite!

You mentioned u used about 5 tracks to record them, could you explain how?

They sound so roomy to me, so spacious...man u guys are good!

Is the trick to control spillage and phasing? Do you need a big room? What demensions? any compression or eq'ing used on the tracking or mixdown?

Did you record the guitars?

Please feed me knowledge!
trashman
25th October 2009
Old 25th October 2009
Lives for gear

Okay, thanks anyway!

I don't know what tracks you worked on, but I listened to the record 3 or 4 times today and everything about it just kicks ass. Thank you.
25th October 2009
Old 25th October 2009
special guest

Just to clarify...I recorded drums for 5 SONGS on Mer de Noms...
(The Hollow, Orestes, 3 Libras, Renholder, and Brena) ---as far as track count, it was probably 8-10. This was done at the Chop Shop in Hollywood where a 3 car garage was converted into a pretty bad-ass drum room. The way Scott and I tracked drums back then was fairly aggressive. Pre-blending outer and inner kick mics, committing healthy doses of eq and compression on most everything on the way in. As I recall, most of the mic preamps were 1081 or 1073s (for kick, snares and toms) and cymbals were straight into the Euphonix CS2000 that we had there at that time. Coles ribbon mics on the room and B & K condensers on the overheads. Because of the Euphonix' instant recall capability, tracking drums was very easy. I was always able to pick up were we left off and tweak the tones even further. So when Freese came in to track drums, he climbed behind our in-house kit and we tracked very quickly. Those 5 songs were done in an afternoon. I've had the opportunity to track Josh many times and he is one of the easiest (and nicest) guys to record.
trashman
25th October 2009
Old 25th October 2009
Lives for gear

Did you guys ever reamp the drums through loudspeakers? I read somewhere that this was part of the sound on that record. m/s mic'ing with a slight detune when mixing?

I really like the sound of the drums on on Mer ... Alice in Chains, Dirt has a similar thing going on. Perhaps it's the Neve? It has a squashed, thick, yet transient rich punch. I've been so brainwashed into thinking: drums=API ..... Are you a fan of API on drums?

Thanks again!
25th October 2009
Old 25th October 2009
special guest

Quote:
Originally Posted by trashman View Post
Did you guys ever reamp the drums through loudspeakers? I read somewhere that this was part of the sound on that record. m/s mic'ing with a slight detune when mixing?

I really like the sound of the drums on on Mer ... Alice in Chains, Dirt has a similar thing going on. Perhaps it's the Neve? It has a squashed, thick, yet transient rich punch. I've been so brainwashed into thinking: drums=API ..... Are you a fan of API on drums?

Thanks again!
Not sure the fate of the raw drum tracks once they got into Alan Moulder's very capable hands for mixing. They may have reamped them to get a cohesive room ambience with the drums that were recorded at Sound City.
I definitely favor Neves on drums, but I'm a bit biased as most of my experience when I started in LA 16 years ago was on 70's era Neve boards. In a perfect world it would be nice to always have enough Neve and API's on hand to strike the perfect balance of warmth, body and mid-range presence for each element of the drum kit.
Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search