Login / Register

Processing Vocals during Mix
New Reply
Subscribe
AMIEL
4th April 2007
Old 4th April 2007
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to AMIEL Send a message via MSN to AMIEL Send a message via Yahoo to AMIEL
Question Processing Vocals during Mix

Hi Russell?
Do you ever use that old school technique to process the lead vocal with a crossover and compressors per band ( a la Muliband compressor) ? if not do you have a special technique that you may use sometimes that can be interesting?

Peace.

Reuven Amiel

"There are no rules, just knowledge, good taste and experimentation"

"Music was designed to escape from reality for a moment, not to magnify our fears and problems"
AMIEL
16th April 2007
Old 16th April 2007
Lives for gear

Send a message via AIM to AMIEL Send a message via MSN to AMIEL Send a message via Yahoo to AMIEL
can you naswer this question before you go???
AMIEL
19th April 2007
Old 19th April 2007
Lives for gear

bump!
9th May 2007
Old 9th May 2007
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMIEL View Post
Hi Russell?
Do you ever use that old school technique to process the lead vocal with a crossover and compressors per band ( a la Muliband compressor) ? if not do you have a special technique that you may use sometimes that can be interesting?
hello amiel,

i use all types of processing for vocals and try different things for different vocalists. though sometimes i'll get an initial sound and the vocalist will walk in and love it and won't want me to change it. the la2a has always been one of my favorite vocal compressors and will always give me a good sound and good level control without sounding too compressed. most of D'angelo's vocals were tracked through an La2a. but i've used all kinds of compressors at one time or another for vocals including the SSL 9K channel compressors. i do like the 1178, fairman tsc and 670 on backgrounds. i don't really get too deep to go as far as using a multiband compressor unless i'm going for an effect or fixing a bad vocal sound.

as far as eq's i like neves, focusrite isa110's, helios type 69 and pultec eqp or eqh. i don't have a real technique, but i do a lot of vocal riding of both lead and backgrounds. i kind of just keep tweaking and riding until the vocals are vibin...

cheers

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search