Subscribe
Tom H
20th March 2007
Old 20th March 2007
Lives for gear

The Roots- The Seed

Hi Russel,

great to have you here, thanks for doing this. thumbsup

I have a question about The Seed by The Roots, i really love that track and used to spin it a lot in dj sets as a bridge between rock and hip hop. Everybody seems to love it.

You guys somehow managed to achieve to get both a vintage rock sound and at the same time create a banging hiphop track, that's amazing.

My question is how did you do it? Did you listen to both genres as a reference or did it just turn out like this?

Sorry for the bit vague question but i'm just really interested in the production process of this track.

Cheers!
20th March 2007
Old 20th March 2007
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommylicious View Post

i'm just really interested in the production process of this track.
That makes two of us! Too bad that the live techie of the Roots can't get that sound like the record (and that The Roots is playing it double the speed hahaha)
I like the drums and guitars on this song.

Visit www.thescorestudio.com or www.myspace.com/thescorestudio

Stuff: Logic Pro 7, SSL Duende, Focustrite Octopre Lite, Behringer ADA 8000, MPC 1000, Korg Triton Extreme 88, Korg K 700 1968, Mackie Big Knob, Rubicon 8 A and KRK ST8 monitors, Mackie Control Universal mixer, PowerMac G 5 Dual 1.8 3ghz, Patchbay and lots of AU (legal!!) and a great studio!
22nd March 2007
Old 22nd March 2007
Gear maniac

Send a message via Skype™ to mattssons
Thumbs up The drums!

That song impressed the hxxx out of me when i first heard it. What a sound! Please tell me more! /Toby
24th March 2007
Old 24th March 2007
Gear maniac

greetings toby, DWINC and tommy,

this song was written by cody chestnut. one of the few songs that i mixed for the roots where i didn't personally record the drums. the credits on the album say that i recorded it but actually it was recorded by a good friend of mine.

"Tony Rambo" did an amazing job tracking it. he didn't get his credit on the album so i want to set the record staight here. he assisted me on a few albums when i was doing a lot of work in LA and is a great engineer.

so the kick was tuned really open without much stuffing inside. ahmir told me that he wanted this to sound like a garage band but yet he wanted it to sound huge as well. so i just kept that in my head as i mixed. i was thinking john bonham/eddie kramer style drums with lots of compression and lots of room. there's distortion from re-amping, heavy compression and slap in combination with the original dry signal. it was a little trickey getting just the right balance of lo-fi and hi-fi.

i think i used a mooger fooger low pass filter on the bass. but i can't remember how i treated the guitars but i do remember i was thinking kind of rock-a-billy. we were definitely going for the marriage of the two genres.

i'm starting my next thread right after this one called "the roots mixologies..."

cheers and many thanks
24th March 2007
Old 24th March 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell Elevado View Post
ahmir told me that he wanted this to sound like a garage band but yet he wanted it to sound huge as well.
Well that's exactly how it sounds to me so you guys did a good job. thumbsup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell Elevado View Post
i'm starting my next thread right after this one called "the roots mixologies..."
Looking forward to it, really appreciate the way you're doing the Q&A.

Cheers!
25th March 2007
Old 25th March 2007
Gear addict

Is the break a recording of a pool(billiards) break? I think it is, but wanted to confirm.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search