Old 4th July 2009
tekis

"Meddle"

Please just tell us about these sessions. Anything that comes to mind. The Floyd's working methods, isolation?, many overdubs?, were they good singers in the studio? I'm more interested in the sort of atmosphere than "what mic?" Thanks, that album helped point me into the field of audio engineering and producing. As a matter of fact, I think I met you once at RAK while I was working with Travis. Steve Lillywhite was producing and you had just finished some sessions with Cast, I think. Thank-you.

Last edited by tekis; 5th July 2009 at 05:57 PM.. Reason: spelling...
Old 5th July 2009
Lives for gear

Dogs on Seamus on Meddle

How did you get the dog to do the blues...

I play harp and while busking once a dog came up to me and started wailing along with me. Was the Dog on Meddle a genuine Blues Dog ??

BTW I have about a million questions to ask you, I just don't know where to start, be patient I will have to go through my record collection now that I know the list of your credits.

Thanks

Buzz Bahalw
Old 5th July 2009
Gear nut

Meddle

Hi Tekis
Meddle was long time ago and it was really one of first sessions I engineered. I'd tape op'd for Peter Bown on all the original eight track sessions at Abbey Road 3 which was all backing tracks from all 'nothing' sessions. At the time it was only Air and Trident that had 16 track so we went to Air above Oxford Circus and did straight transfer eight to sixteen. Pete Bown was there first few days and as it was different studio, Neve desk, 16 track, Pete just got up and left me to it. Cant remember how long we were there...week or two?..but it was just me and them. Worked hard continually trying things. Vibe was good between them all and vocals were no problem. Things were done and redone for sound or tuning. A good time was had by all and they were often gigging during the recording and have to move all gear out and set up again day later.
Cheers JL
Old 7th July 2009
Gear nut

Meddle - Seamus

HI Gurubuzz
Yes Seamus. I had to dig out album and play that track. The dog belonged to Steve Marriott from Small Faces/Humble Pie and David G bought him in AIR studios when we were working and played harmonic and the dog sang...every time just like on the record! You can hear Dave's harmonica in background urging him on. We then must have dubbed slide and piano. Maybe thats Roger playing rhythm acoustic along with them or its all David. Good fun and surprised they put it on record. I think it was just one take...I dont remember Seamus dropping in!
Thanks for the memory.
Cheers JL
Old 8th July 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnleckie View Post
HI Gurubuzz
Yes Seamus. I had to dig out album and play that track. The dog belonged to Steve Marriott from Small Faces/Humble Pie and David G bought him in AIR studios when we were working and played harmonic and the dog sang...every time just like on the record! You can hear Dave's harmonica in background urging him on. We then must have dubbed slide and piano. Maybe thats Roger playing rhythm acoustic along with them or its all David. Good fun and surprised they put it on record. I think it was just one take...I dont remember Seamus dropping in!
Thanks for the memory.
Cheers JL

Thanks a lot John... I don't know if you understand what a thrill it is to hear from someone who was actually there. It's like looking down a time tunnel and actually being able to see in the studio. As simple as the experience might have been to you at the time, those great albums have a serious gravity on a lot of people's lives. Thanks again
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search