Use of Effects
Clayphish
14th December 2010
Old 14th December 2010
Gear addict

Use of Effects

Hey Ken,

I've been a big fan since my father got me into Crime of the Century in the 80s. I know this sounds like a big statement, but its this album alone which has opened the world of engineering and production to me. Its set me on my current path, which I've been taking for about 15 years now. I probably have over 10,000 hours analyzing this album alone, but maybe I should digress cuz I could go on for hours. lol

I wanted to ask you. When it comes to effects, what drives you? For example the massive, yet short, dump of reverb on the Wurlie at the beginning of Dreamer or the modulation/tremolo effect going on the keys in Rudy at 40 seconds in. It always struck me that your use of effects have been as a complimentary instrument and behaved as such to the overall songs. Everything has its place and compliments without coming across contrived and bloated.

Oh and one more quick question. How did you get the drums to sound so punchy on Bloody Well Right??

btw. Thank you for answering all our questions! Its been a great early Christmas for sure!

Much Regards,

Clayton
15th December 2010
Old 15th December 2010
special guest

Hi Clayton, Hey, it's just a record. We made a piece of plastic that we wanted to enjoy listening to, if others did also, cool. But thanks anyway.
Effects? I guess for me it's intuitive. If I think it helps the music I do it. I very rarely use an effect just for the sake of using an effect. I remember the first time I heard a wah wah pedal I thought it was great. Two weeks later everything on the radio had a wah wah pedal. I learned quickly.
We all have our idiosyncrasies, mine on several records was the water gong, it comes in on the song Crime at about 2:43, you can learn a little more about it at:
Ken Scot - records Bob Siebenberg playing drums in the recording studio - special video feature.
BWR drums? I guess Bob played them punchier.

Cheers
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search