John Mclaughlin / Mahavishnu
noiseflaw
10th December 2010
Old 10th December 2010
Lives for gear

John Mclaughlin / Mahavishnu

Hi Ken,

Do you mind telling us a little of your experience with the great Mahavishnu Band...

What were the sessions on Visions of The Emerald Beyond and Birds of Fire like? were you thinking Whoa! this is intense, these guy's are serious!

cheers.
10th December 2010
Old 10th December 2010
Banned

He was probably thinking "seriously?... all these drums?"
10th December 2010
Old 10th December 2010
Lives for gear
Yes I'd love to hear about this, any production details at all would be great.
10th December 2010
Old 10th December 2010
Lives for gear

I too would love to hear anything having to do with these sessions!

I'm listening to Birds Of Fire as I'm typing this!

Ken, you have been involved in a myriad of diverse quality music.

You name graces so much music in my collection!

Your work with Procol Harum, Dixie Dreggs and Happy The Man is absolutely amazing!

A big "thank you" from this punter!
11th December 2010
Old 11th December 2010
special guest

I was first made aware of the Mahavishnu Orchestra whilst in France working on Honky Chateau, Elton and Gus Dudgeon would always put it on at dinnertime. The problem was that with all the dinner chatter I couldn't hear it properly and thought it was a bunch of drugged out losers.

Whilst mixing HC I got a phone call that John and the band were coming to London for a TV show and wanted to meet me about their upcoming album. I quickly got a copy of Inner Mountain Flame, sat down and listened properly and totally lost it. They were absolutely astounding and they wanted to work with me. HELL YES.

I met with them, heard them and knew before ever setting foot into the studio that these guys mean business. The only difference for me with regard to Bill's drums, and the number of them, was that they wouldn't fit in the Trident drum booth, so I had to set him up out side with everyone else. Other than that it was my typical drum setup, just more of them. If you're interested in what that was like you can check out a video of Bill and I recreating the sounds for EpiK DrumS at <http://www.recordproduction.com/ken-scott-bill-cobham.html>.

Although there is more to tell I must depart for a bit, but I shall return.

Cheers
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search