How physically tuned are you when mixing?
Renie
21st September 2005
Old 21st September 2005
Lives for gear

How physically tuned are you when mixing?

How much do you tune to your body's clues, responses, when mixing?

Do you remain alert for toe-tapping, goosebumps etc..

Do you tend to sit while mixing or move around, dance even?

Do you let yourself cry?

thanks Michael

Rene
22nd September 2005
Old 22nd September 2005
Past Guest Moderator

Ok, I know what's going on, somebody's seen me in the folds video right? When I saw that of me mixing in Nashville, I laughed my ass off and then turned to my assistant and asked " hay do I look a moron?" Too late now. But yah, that's me when there's a great groove, I'm having a good time. I don't care about anything going on around me. I don't look at the faders, it's kind of like playing the piano. I never write anything down on the console so there's no point looking at them. I've memorized what's on all the faders. So I guess the answer is yes to some of the questions and I won't admit anything to others. I'm glad I'm not a celebrity, I could see my ass being impersonated on Saturday night live looking like a white Ray Charles at the console. yah, yah, I know, I’ll beat you to it. I'm no Ray Charles!
22nd September 2005
Old 22nd September 2005
Gear addict

Toe tapping

Hi Michael,

As you may recall, I worked with Lincoln Clapp at Media Sound from @1980 through 1986. I learned everything from him, you , Bob C., Michael Barbiaro (he mixed the first big single I produced) and on and on. [I was getting a cup of coffee once and you said, "Come in and check this out. You were re-mixing a Bowie record and had just found the third reel of tape (now 72 tracks!). You soloed the vocal for me to point out that it was a guide in a booth.] Anyway, something truly valuable that Lincoln pointed out one day: He was mixing away for a few hours with several clients in the background. Suddenly he reach up and pull down ALL of the faders (no automation)!!! I thought I was going to faint. He said, "We're past it". Look---no one's tapping their toes!"
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search