What you're doing about it now
Subscribe
lobsterinn
13th March 2013
Old 13th March 2013
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

What you're doing about it now

I appreciate the posts on your blog / website about the shallow state of the industry and lack of artist development.

I just wanted to give you a chance to talk about some upcoming artists you are excited about - whether you have had a hand in developing them or not. Who gives you hope?
14th March 2013
Old 14th March 2013
Michael Beinhorn

I'm glad those posts touched a nerve- that's one reason I write them. I don't feel that these issues get addressed enough yet they are at the core of everything artists, record producers, engineers, etc do. It doesn't make any sense to me that this can be so readily ignored and I'm always surprised to see so many highly talented people in a state of denial about what's happening instead of trying to do something about it.

When I work with an artist, as well as producing a record for them, I try to provide them with whatever developmental tools they can use at that moment. I'm presently working with an artist named Ruby Friedman. She is a powerful performer, has a remarkable voice, can sing any style of music and writes her own songs, but because she doesn't fit into the traditional model of what a successful artist must look or sound like, she's been largely ignored by A&R.*

It's a waste of time to try and convince people in the music business that something is worth their time when their criteria for judging music is so skewed by variables which fall outside the basic understanding of whether or not a song simply feels good to listen to. Therefore, I'm only concerned with doing things that feel good to the artist and myself. That has always been my approach to making records and experience has taught me that I can't pander to other people I don't even know since I'll never really know what they want to hear, anyway.

What gives me hope is not the artists I work with or whose music I hear but my own feelings regarding the creation of music and its necessity in the world. Given the current climate, it's far too easy to become jaded- I've seen this happen to many of my friends. I simply won't let it happen to me. Any time I've ever felt this slipping away, all I've had to do was listen to a piece of music which was ever inspiring to me or an emotional touchstone. Having something like that is an anchor and a constant reminder that what is expressive about music is what pulled me into being involved in its creation.

I make a lousy business person and have no choice but to be an artist- or, at least to feel like one. If you make art, you have to put that first, above anything else. Having that feeling toward the work I do is what gives me hope and I believe that is infectious.
14th March 2013
Old 14th March 2013
Lives for gear

My Recordings/Credits

Quote:
Originally Posted by fexurbis View Post

What gives me hope is not the artists I work with or whose music I hear but my own feelings regarding the creation of music and its necessity in the world. Given the current climate, it's far too easy to become jaded- I've seen this happen to many of my friends. I simply won't let it happen to me. Any time I've ever felt this slipping away, all I've had to do was listen to a piece of music which was ever inspiring to me or an emotional touchstone. Having something like that is an anchor and a constant reminder that what is expressive about music is what pulled me into being involved in its creation.

I make a lousy business person and have no choice but to be an artist- or, at least to feel like one. If you make art, you have to put that first, above anything else. Having that feeling toward the work I do is what gives me hope and I believe that is infectious.
Thanks for the thoughtful post. I really needed to hear that today...it is really easy to become jaded in this business. Negativity is a trap.
15th March 2013
Old 15th March 2013
Michael Beinhorn

Yes. It's also a conscious decision and you can always change your mind.
15th March 2013
Old 15th March 2013
Lives for gear

Quote:

Michael -

this is such a very, very, very, very, very, very, very
important
true
beautiful
...and (sadly enough) rare post, today.

Thanks, and six million thumbs up.

A
F
The story of love
Is hello
And goodbye
Until we meet -
Again.

(Jimi Hendrix)
------------------

http://www.myspace.com/andreaeffe
16th March 2013
Old 16th March 2013
Gear maniac

This is probably the best post that I have ever read on GS.

Brilliant and spot on. Thanx for that.

Jeff

Quote:
I'm glad those posts touched a nerve- that's one reason I write them. I don't feel that these issues get addressed enough yet they are at the core of everything artists, record producers, engineers, etc do. It doesn't make any sense to me that this can be so readily ignored and I'm always surprised to see so many highly talented people in a state of denial about what's happening instead of trying to do something about it.

When I work with an artist, as well as producing a record for them, I try to provide them with whatever developmental tools they can use at that moment. I'm presently working with an artist named Ruby Friedman. She is a powerful performer, has a remarkable voice, can sing any style of music and writes her own songs, but because she doesn't fit into the traditional model of what a successful artist must look or sound like, she's been largely ignored by A&R.*

It's a waste of time to try and convince people in the music business that something is worth their time when their criteria for judging music is so skewed by variables which fall outside the basic understanding of whether or not a song simply feels good to listen to. Therefore, I'm only concerned with doing things that feel good to the artist and myself. That has always been my approach to making records and experience has taught me that I can't pander to other people I don't even know since I'll never really know what they want to hear, anyway.

16th March 2013
Old 16th March 2013
Michael Beinhorn

Thanks guys- I'm glad this resonates with you.
16th March 2013
Old 16th March 2013
Gear maniac

Michael,

This more than just resonates with me, especially after clicking on the link to your blog/website. It is my first visit to your site and I have been reading non-stop.

You have articulated (finally someone has) so well what my thoughts and feelings are regarding the state of the music industry and artists. You have given me so much more to think about as well as perspective. Perhaps, even a little more hope. What an eye opener.

Bravo! Thanx! Carry on!

Jeff

Quote:
Thanks guys- I'm glad this resonates with you.
16th March 2013
Old 16th March 2013
Michael Beinhorn

I figure someone has to do it.
17th March 2013
Old 17th March 2013
Lives for gear

Thanks thanks thanks, Michael, for that brilliant blog (and for doing this Q&A)! I also, like "Martini Hill", had the feeling that finally someone expresses my feelings about art(ists), about timeless popular music, the "industry", and... drummers

I'll certainly check regularly for new posts/essays, please keep on inspiring us!!!
Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search