musicians trying to engineer themselves
loaf
26th February 2007
Old 26th February 2007
Gear addict

musicians trying to engineer themselves

Hi Kevin,

I'd be interested to hear what you thought about the growing number of musicians who are attempting to engineer/produce themselves - are they trying to do a job which they couldn't possibly learn to a high standard without having gone through the hoops people like yourself have? Would their energy be better put to their musicianship/songwriting?

sean
2nd March 2007
Old 2nd March 2007
engineer / producer / mixer

Quote:
Originally Posted by loaf View Post
Hi Kevin,

I'd be interested to hear what you thought about the growing number of musicians who are attempting to engineer/produce themselves - are they trying to do a job which they couldn't possibly learn to a high standard without having gone through the hoops people like yourself have? Would their energy be better put to their musicianship/songwriting?

sean
Sean,

I have witnessed musicians who are excellent engineers for their own instrument, maybe less so for other instruments . In general i don't have a problem with it as long as they understand the fundementals. In this day and age , there is enough written and visual documentation to help guide the fledgling engineers. I often counsel my friends to "do less", less eq, compression etc etc until they really get what they are trying to do. Its a lot easier to add than take away.

Kevin
loaf
6th March 2007
Old 6th March 2007
Gear addict

grateful for your measured, forgiving reply Kevin - but I do often think of a builder I know who says he loves the DIY industry because most of his work comes from putting right people's disastrous bodges
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search