ITB Discography
mOjO FET
18th February 2007
Old 18th February 2007
Gear addict

ITB Discography

First of all Mr. Killen it's great to have you here on Gearslutz! And thank you for all the advice you have shared with us sofar.

You said on another thread that you also mix ITB since that thread has been closed I'll ask here.

Could you name one or two projects you mixed ITB?
Since you did so many great mixes OTB I would be really interested to hear what and how you do it ITB.
I'm sure many of the ITB mixers here would be interested too since this topic has been debated so many times.

thank you

Michael

p.s. I like what you did on Tony Levin's Pieces Of The Sun.
19th February 2007
Old 19th February 2007
Lives for gear

A nice addition to this thread would be if Kevin could name a few mixes he has done ITB

.Thanks alot Kevin for all your time shared ......you have been one of my favorite guest mixer to date!!!!!

Ron Florentine
Soundswest Studio
21st February 2007
Old 21st February 2007
engineer / producer / mixer

Ron and Mojo

Two album projects done in the box are

Duncan Sheik's "White Limousine" on Rounder Records
Iarla leonard's "Invisible Sun" on Real World Records

The new Paula Cole album was also mixed in the box, due out in June 07.

In terms of my approach specifically ITB that is different from a regular console. One of The main issues is just the limitations of your systems processing so i try to maximize its efficiency by creating subgroups for
Drums & Percussion
Music
LVocals
BVocals

I may create some smaller subsets. On these subgroups I will apply my eq and compression plug ins, almost a mastering approach to the elements. These are routed to a master aux and then to a master fader to a destination track within the session.

If any track needs specific attention, then apply the approriate plug ins. This way I initially minimise the amount of processing used ( I always employ delay compensation) and I get to hear a more broad mix before delving into all the detail stuff.

Therefore my final master mixes with all of its variations will be printed back into the multi track version of the song. Once completed I save the session and then delete all the audio minus the printed mix tracks and remove the audio from the audio bin. I then do a "save as" version of the title...."title KK Mix Stems". This contains only the master mixes but its a sample accurate image of the multi track and this can be useful later in mastering should a problem arise.

Hope this helps

Kevin
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search