Which came first? The chicken, or that flute on Sledgehammer?
Jules
8th February 2007
Old 8th February 2007
Gearslutz.com admin

Which came first? The chicken, or that flute on Sledgehammer?

Silly question really...

Back in the 80's every time you rented an Emulator keyboard (For those that missed the 80's the Emulator was one of the first not so expensive sampling keyboards, that was actually portable and didn't have a computer the size of a large filing cabinet to go with it http://www.emulatorarchive.com/Sampl...1overview.html ) you always got a little box of floppy discs with sounds for it.. one of which was always the Andean Ethnic flute sample... It was so cool sounding, it was almost compulsory to mess around playing with it (and the explosion sample ) a little before getting on with what you really had to do....

.... So to me, this begs the question, was Peter Gabriel the first to get that Emulator sample onto a hit record? Or was that a flute played by someone on his session? Or even...did that Emulator sample originate from Peter's recording sessions?

Any idea?
8th February 2007
Old 8th February 2007
Lives for gear

I'd always heard that that's a Fairlight shakuhachi sample.
Jules
8th February 2007
Old 8th February 2007
Gearslutz.com admin

Thats easy for you to say!

shaku-what?

It's Japanese? Not Andean?
8th February 2007
Old 8th February 2007
engineer / producer / mixer

Jules,

Not to burst any bubbles here but my memory of it was that it was from the Fairlight also.

Certainly it should be the first hit record with that sound stike stike

thumbsup thumbsup

KK
Led
8th February 2007
Old 8th February 2007
Led
Lives for gear

Yes it was a Fairlight Shakuhachi sample. Peter recently signed a keyboard that Fairlight have had all the big artist who used it for hits sign. Each of them signed one of the keys. I think it was auctioned for charity. We still have an MFX2 with the CMI software and samples. The double bass sounds are awesome.
Cheers
Jules
8th February 2007
Old 8th February 2007
Gearslutz.com admin

Nice one thanks...

So its a Japanese bamboo flute, not an Andean goat heards pipe... I live and learn...
8th February 2007
Old 8th February 2007

Jules,

and all this time you were getting a kickback from Emulator for flogging those keys...

fuuck

KK
8th February 2007
Old 8th February 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Killen View Post
Jules,

and all this time you were getting a kickback from Emulator for flogging those keys...

fuuck

KK
The flute sample from Sledgehammer was originally from the Enulator II factory sound library. that disk had the Shakuhachi gesture, a Loon sound and a running stream. It has been used to death, nearly as much as the Fairlight Arri vox sample.

PG was on the the cover of "Music Technology" a short lived US version of a UK mag with the E2 in the shot with him.

Obviously due to his connection with Syco PG was one of the earliest Fairlight proponents. I would personally say that he was single handled the first artist to bring it's potential to the public with the ground breaking Security album-

The SouthBank interview of him captured my imagination entirely- to see him breaking TV's and blowing into old car exhaust pipes was quite an exciting thing for a young punk like me...

charles maynes
Jules
8th February 2007
Old 8th February 2007
Gearslutz.com admin

We have an ARGUMENT!

Call the lawyers!

(thats another $50 kickback....!)
Led
8th February 2007
Old 8th February 2007
Led
Lives for gear

Well, I may possibly stand corrected by Charles, but I will do some "digging in the dirt" and speak to the Fairlight boys to check..If I was wrong then I was wrrrrrnn....wrrrr(think Fonzie trying to say the word wrong) I do remember the steam sample from the Emu being gated behind a snare by one of the engineers I was taught by but that's another story.
Led
8th February 2007
Old 8th February 2007
Led
Lives for gear

YES, I was wrrronnnggg. It was the Emulator 2. Charles if you are ever in Oz I owe you a lunch.
9th February 2007
Old 9th February 2007

Jules,

I am not going near this one. That fella has a rifle in his photo !!!!!

kk
9th February 2007
Old 9th February 2007
Gear Guru

Quote:
Jules,

I am not going near this one. That fella has a rifle in his photo !!!!!

kk
Kevin,

I stand in awe of your achievements- I can assure you I do not point guns at people either... It is just sometimes my audio interests cross paths with dangerous situations...

here is me at the day job... http://youtube.com/watch?v=ocwBakeL3m0

cheers-

charles maynes
9th February 2007
Old 9th February 2007
Lives for gear

Quote:
Certainly it should be the first hit record with that sound

KK

And probably the last as well.

It was (and still is) so famous, it must have ruined that instrument sound on any other pop song or artist after that.

Huge.

B.
9th February 2007
Old 9th February 2007
Lives for gear

Yes, definite shakuhachi. Could not have said from which synth, though. Andean flute=panpipe? Ought to sound different, though the two are fairly similar in real-life construction.
9th February 2007
Old 9th February 2007
Gear Head

That's one hell of a day job, by the way. (the gun audio recording)
9th February 2007
Old 9th February 2007

At least he is wearing ear protection ,,,, atta boy charles.
10th February 2007
Old 10th February 2007
Lives for gear

andean flutes are not flutes, they are called "zamponias" .. (just to clear up since this thread has become to technical"
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search