Old 16th April 2007
Lives for gear

Omf and such

Sorry if this has been covered already (I used search but found nothing).

One of the big points for me would be the ability to import songs from other hosts that I've worked with. The amount of material I have is so vast that the idea of: starting form scratch or importing, timealigning individual tracks renders me a woefully sobbing mess.

Thanks for your time thumbsup
Old 16th April 2007
Gear nut

We try to support all formats that we can.. unfortunately OMF isn't truly an open format and it appears you have to license it.

We do support Vegas and Samplitude EDL.. We're looking at AES31 now, too..
Old 16th April 2007
Lives for gear

Old 22nd April 2007
Lives for gear

I just wanted to bump this thread to your attention again Justin, because I think AAF should be considered important if OMF is not an option. AAF would make it possible go back and forth between Reaper and Pro Tools for example...
Old 22nd April 2007
Lives for gear

And Nuendo.
Old 22nd April 2007
Gear maniac

Old 23rd April 2007
Lives for gear

I think so, but if in doubt I am sure the AMW association would probably more than happy to supply more info as their goal seems to be crossplatform compatibility.
Old 24th April 2007
Gear nut

AAF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geert van den Berg View Post
I think so, but if in doubt I am sure the AMW association would probably more than happy to supply more info as their goal seems to be crossplatform compatibility.
there are a couple of issues with AAF, not huge, but worth bearing in mind.
first, AAF-XML is due out very soon, which is semantically the same as AAF but syntactically uses XML rather than the rather crusty current format. i have been advised by guys in the AMW that this is the "new standard" and that for Ardour we should probably wait for it to emerge (not sure i agree with this, but that was the advice).

secondly, i have it on some authority that, not entirely unexpectedly, ProTools writes technically non-standard AAF files. so if you want to import a session exported from PT using AAF, the importer has to handle not just AAF but Digi's version of it. i believe that the variances are small and possibly even defensible, but as far as i know, special handling is not needed for steinberg, cakewalk, magix or other AAF-exported sessions.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search