Login / Register

Advanced MIDI features in REAPER's future?
Subscribe
digaldeman
11th April 2007
Old 11th April 2007
Gear interested

Advanced MIDI features in REAPER's future?

Justin, I’ve been watching REAPER’s development for a while now and it seems that more focus is on audio than MIDI features. Will we see more focus on implementing advanced MIDI features in the future? I would love to see REAPER’s piano roll, MIDI tools, and MIDI pattern clips similar to (or better than) FL Studio’s. I’m sure many people are waiting for these features before they make the switch to REAPER.

Also, is there a way to disable REAPER from scanning my plug-ins at start up? It slows me down.
13th April 2007
Old 13th April 2007
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by digaldeman View Post
Justin, I’ve been watching REAPER’s development for a while now and it seems that more focus is on audio than MIDI features. Will we see more focus on implementing advanced MIDI features in the future? I would love to see REAPER’s piano roll, MIDI tools, and MIDI pattern clips similar to (or better than) FL Studio’s. I’m sure many people are waiting for these features before they make the switch to REAPER.

Also, is there a way to disable REAPER from scanning my plug-ins at start up? It slows me down.
We periodically give the midi side love... but yes, it's behind audio.

As far as scanning plug-ins, for it to be able to find VSTs that may be loaded by a project, it has to scan them. However it only loads the DLLs when it sees one for the first time-- so if you havent installed any new ones since the last time you ran it, it should only take a few seconds.
digaldeman
13th April 2007
Old 13th April 2007
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Frankel View Post
As far as scanning plug-ins, for it to be able to find VSTs that may be loaded by a project, it has to scan them. However it only loads the DLLs when it sees one for the first time-- so if you havent installed any new ones since the last time you ran it, it should only take a few seconds.
Thanks Justin. Looking forward to some more midi love within Reaper

It was taking about 10 seconds to start up because I had to duplicate DLLs. I deleted the duplicates and REAPER started in a second,
13th April 2007
Old 13th April 2007
Gear maniac

Thumbs up

I'd like to give a BIG BUMP for MORE MIDI LOVE in Reaper!!

There's not a lot of options for midi composers on the Windows side of the world. Cubase is very good in most ways. Sonar's midi is pretty good, but needs updating and improvement. The others have left me wanting in midi or other areas.

Here are the midi features important to me -

1) First class piano roll ( just take the best of Cubase, Sonar, and Fruityloops that shouldn't be a problem )

2) An event inspector. Click on a midi note or clip and it tells you everything about it- start time, end time, note name/pitch, velocity, etc., etc. Plus you can edit any of these parameters directly in the inspector.

3) Groove Quantize (for both midi AND audio). Oh man, this is huge for me.

As I said in another Justin, I really appreciate what your doing with Reaper and how you communicate with your customers and potencial customers!

aka Cap'n Spanky
From the Planet Screwball
13th April 2007
Old 13th April 2007
Gear maniac

Oh, one more question...

Is it difficult to program/code midi features?? It seems like DAW makers struggle with this.

Thanks,
16th April 2007
Old 16th April 2007
Gear nut

There definitely is a lot of depth to what people consider "advanced" MIDI features.. i.e. lots of details that end up being very important, and the scope is huge as well...
17th April 2007
Old 17th April 2007
Lives for gear

I just don't understand why some DAW apps go light on the Midi. People still have loads of midi gear and want to work with it. These types of poor midi support gripes pop up on forums all over the place.

Strong midi support with a great workflow is essential for a DAW to be useable for me.
18th April 2007
Old 18th April 2007
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommy-boy View Post
I just don't understand why some DAW apps go light on the Midi. People still have loads of midi gear and want to work with it. These types of poor midi support gripes pop up on forums all over the place.

Strong midi support with a great workflow is essential for a DAW to be useable for me.
Tommy, I understand your feelings but you have to keep in mind that a lot of people have different needs from other people--some people use more audio-type things, other more midi-type, and even within people who use a lot of MIDI, there is a WIDE range of different features and workflows that people use. I know this especially well because of the wide range of input/feedback we get--much of it is contradictory.

-Justin
19th April 2007
Old 19th April 2007
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtGarceau View Post
I would be very interested in seeing an audio to midi converting plugin like Logic has. I'd also like to see a midi drum editor like cubase has. That would give absolute total control to replace drums with BFD, EZDrummer, DFH, etc and actually add or change parts of the arrangements with ease.

I hate programming drums in a "piano roll" editor!
We have ReaGate which is a gate that can send midi messages on open/close, and ReaTune which is a tuner that can send messages too..

as far as drum editing, try the piano roll, and there are a couple of useful options to put it into drum mode--the first is to ditch the piano keys, show the note names (from VSTis that support it), and use single click to add/remove notes. The grid size is used for the lenght of the notes...
19th April 2007
Old 19th April 2007
Gear nut

I thought I saw a reaper tutorial video on ReaFir that included info on using the output to trigger drum samples. I think it was pretty basic, probably no velocity control.
22nd April 2007
Old 22nd April 2007
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by darjama View Post
I thought I saw a reaper tutorial video on ReaFir that included info on using the output to trigger drum samples. I think it was pretty basic, probably no velocity control.
If someone hasnt written one yet, its probably easily doable in the JS language
25th April 2007
Old 25th April 2007
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipelineaudio View Post
If someone hasnt written one yet, its probably easily doable in the JS language

I think scott already did one drumtrigger or somethin..
Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search