Login / Register

Something strange happened to me on the way to the mix bus
Subscribe
Jules
10th April 2007
Old 10th April 2007
Gearslutz.com admin

Something strange happened to me on the way to the mix bus

So you build your digital mix engine.. and then folks using it get their audio to jump through lots of hoops via plug ins..

Whats the point of a nice audio engine / mixer if plug ins 'mug' the audio along the way..?

My questions are

- Do you see there being good plug ins and bad plug ins?

- Do you think folks will soon be able to see labels for plug ins that say,- 'this is a 64 bit plug in - all the way - from input to output" as a seal of approval? Or something to prove to potential users that audio integrity is as un messed with as possible?

- Say audio is recorded into a DAW system in a very good condition directly from some converters - does the DAW system designer then throw their hands up, walk away and say - "anything that happens from now on - is not my fault"?

- What part can a DAW designer play in helping to preserve sound quality when 3rd party plug ins come into play?
10th April 2007
Old 10th April 2007
Gear nut

I usually judge plug-ins by two factors:

1) how they perform. Do they use a lot of CPU? Are they crash prone? Are they stable on SMP systems (*cough*waves*cough*)?

2) how they sound. This isn't an easily quantifiable factor, but more a question of do I like the way it sounds. If a plug-in diminishes the signal to noise ratio, that's not necessarily a bad thing.. it's just a quality of the plug-in. Likewise if an EQ's filter has ripple...

Having said that, if plug-ins and the actual recordings are the parts that define the character of the sound you are making, then the DAW itself can just provide a neutral platform for making that happen.. That's the goal, anyway...

We've joked around with ideas about having algorithms for analog "bleed" between channels etc... but it's probably not really a good idea.

-Justin
12th April 2007
Old 12th April 2007
Gear nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Frankel View Post
I usually judge plug-ins by two factors:
We've joked around with ideas about having algorithms for analog "bleed" between channels etc... but it's probably not really a good idea.

I don't know... put rendered woodgrain caps on either side of the mixer and call it "vintage console mode" and I reckon you'd get people to pay for it.

Maybe code up something to simulate scratchy faders/pots as well?
Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search