apsisband
10th April 2007
Old 10th April 2007
Gear Head

Reamote!

Hi Justin,

The one Reaper feature that interests me, far and away above all others, is Reamote. I have always fantasized about having a network farm for all my VSTis, pooling processor power for huge track counts with (relatively) low latencies. The potential seems great, but how practical in reality is this? Right now you're limited to only a few channels before you've reached the cap on network transfer rates-- and that's only at 44.1 khz. Is there any way around this?

How do you envision Reamote two years from now? How does it compare to FX Teleport (If you have used it)? Will we soon be buying dual-NIC motherboards, gigabit switches and our friends' old computers? Or is this concept always going to be sort of a bottlenecked gimmick?
10th April 2007
Old 10th April 2007
Gear nut

Wow?! Are you Les Claypool??? Just kidding...

The amount of channels you can get over 100mbps or 1000mbps networks for ReaMote is actually not that bad. In theory you could run 30 32-bit stereo channels on a 100mbps network, though in reality it's a quite bit less, but still it's very useful.

We've been quietly upgrading a lot of ReaMote, so now it detects silence to reduce bandwidth, detects mono signals and encodes them as mono, has options for sending as 64 bit or 32 bit, etc.

ReaMote can also send MIDI to softsynths, etc, too..

Currently ReaMote requires the plug-in the be loaded on the local system, so that you can use its UI (then the parameter/config changes are sent to the reamote system).. this has three drawbacks: 1) the plug-in must be on the local system as well as the remote, 2) the plug-in must be loaded on the local system, presumably using RAM, and 3) you don't get to see any meters on the plug-ins.

We're planning a mode to not require these limitations...

I haven't used FX teleport, but I understand it has plenty of limitations of its own (having to configure the plug-in on the other machine, for one)

-Justin
10th April 2007
Old 10th April 2007
Gear nut

Oh, another good thing is that since Reamote works at the fX chain level, you can run a lot of fx for a given track remotely, and it only has to send/receive the data once.

i.e. if your track has an eq, compressor, reverb, etc etc etc, you can have all of that offloaded in one easy step.
ODZ
10th April 2007
Old 10th April 2007
ODZ
Gear nut

First of all, thanks Justin!

I've been checking out Reaper for a few weeks now and am thoroughly impressed.

This feature (Reamote) has really piqued my interest as well. I'm about to test this as I has recently purchased a 2nd CPU and am excited at the potential.

Keep up the good work, bro. Looks and sounds good!
apsisband
11th April 2007
Old 11th April 2007
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Frankel View Post
Oh, another good thing is that since Reamote works at the fX chain level, you can run a lot of fx for a given track remotely, and it only has to send/receive the data once.

i.e. if your track has an eq, compressor, reverb, etc etc etc, you can have all of that offloaded in one easy step.
I never considered that-- very cool.

I was playing around with this idea yesterday-- what if you compressed the audio, say with FLAC or similar format? Wouldn't that allow you to send more channels over the network? Or would the additional cpu usage and latency both ways make this impractical?

Thanks for your responses! And nope I'm not Claypool, it's just a painting I did of him
11th April 2007
Old 11th April 2007
Gear nut

Nice painting! Using FLAC (or wavpack since it supports floating point samples) could reduce the bandwidth use (by as much as half, realistically), but it would increase CPU use and latency, so it's probably not the best idea...
18th April 2007
Old 18th April 2007
Gear interested

This feature is extremely interesting to me too. Will it be possible at some point to network machines across platforms? My knowledge of these things is limited but I assume, as you are transferring audio and midi data that it would be possible, or rather easier than say getting two platforms talking in with non-generic data. If that makes sense?

Of course at the moment there is 'feedback' that allows the host to control the settings in the slave and sure it'd be a pain in the backside having to change settings on two machines (as FX Teleport and the like works) but there are ways to make this simpler with peripheral and display hubs etc. and I think the benefits of this cross platform processing even without the 'feedback' would be wonderful. At least for me

There is such good software on both Windows and OSX (and indeed Linux too but best leave that one out for now!) that its a real shame and a limitation to be stuck on one platform.

Also this would totally kill off UAD etc and having read the Reaper forums I know what a total pain in the you know what they've been
21st April 2007
Old 21st April 2007
Gear nut

We are planning on supporting cross-platform Reamote at some point.. there will be some work involved, and to the extent that plug-ins are only supported on one of the platforms, it will be less than ideal (for example if you're on a windows machine and you have a windows only VST, it wont be able to use that remotely obviously)...

Quote:
Originally Posted by philipc View Post
This feature is extremely interesting to me too. Will it be possible at some point to network machines across platforms? My knowledge of these things is limited but I assume, as you are transferring audio and midi data that it would be possible, or rather easier than say getting two platforms talking in with non-generic data. If that makes sense?

Of course at the moment there is 'feedback' that allows the host to control the settings in the slave and sure it'd be a pain in the backside having to change settings on two machines (as FX Teleport and the like works) but there are ways to make this simpler with peripheral and display hubs etc. and I think the benefits of this cross platform processing even without the 'feedback' would be wonderful. At least for me

There is such good software on both Windows and OSX (and indeed Linux too but best leave that one out for now!) that its a real shame and a limitation to be stuck on one platform.

Also this would totally kill off UAD etc and having read the Reaper forums I know what a total pain in the you know what they've been
23rd April 2007
Old 23rd April 2007
Gear interested

Would it not perhaps be easier to just have the capability to transfer multitrack audio digitally between instances of Reaper on either machine, instead of actually being able to control the plugin on the slave which isn't available on the host? If it is actually possible to control the plugin remotely that would be fantastic but I for one would certainly be satisfied with the ability to simply get the audio easily from one computer to another. I know this is possible with ADAT and possibly other digital audio standards but ADAT audio interfaces are very expensive, particularly if you are having to buy one for each machine you are using.
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search