Your approach to drum EQing from recording to mixing
Subscribe
sparrow
16th August 2011
Old 16th August 2011
Gear nut

Your approach to drum EQing from recording to mixing

Hi Eric,

First of all I really want to thank you for being here and your generosity! your notes and tips have been a great teacher and companion to me, especially during these last two weeks that found me working round the clock on quite an interesting and complicated hard rock record.
I've been using your advice on many of the items mentioned in this Q&A with brilliant results, the use of gate and expansion and accoustic guitar recording were particularly succesful to me.

I have a specific question regarding drums and it has to do with your approach to EQing. Basically how much of the "final" sound do you get while tracking and how much of it do you tweak from then on until the final mix?
I usually find myself not having to do much in terms of EQ on the high end, especially for room and OH but the snare and kick sounds always seem to require some more work, nevertheless I seem to need a somehow more "premixed" k & S sound in order to get ready for recording thick electric guitars for instance. What's your experience in this regard?

Cheers!
Martin Misenta

OUIÉ/TOHOSOUND recording studio
Florianópolis, Brazil

http://www.ouietohosound.com/
http://www.facebook.com/ouietohosound
17th August 2011
Old 17th August 2011
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrow View Post
Hi Eric,

First of all I really want to thank you for being here and your generosity! your notes and tips have been a great teacher and companion to me, especially during these last two weeks that found me working round the clock on quite an interesting and complicated hard rock record.
I've been using your advice on many of the items mentioned in this Q&A with brilliant results, the use of gate and expansion and accoustic guitar recording were particularly succesful to me.

I have a specific question regarding drums and it has to do with your approach to EQing. Basically how much of the "final" sound do you get while tracking and how much of it do you tweak from then on until the final mix?
I usually find myself not having to do much in terms of EQ on the high end, especially for room and OH but the snare and kick sounds always seem to require some more work, nevertheless I seem to need a somehow more "premixed" k & S sound in order to get ready for recording thick electric guitars for instance. What's your experience in this regard?

Cheers!
Martin Misenta
I try to be listening to as close of a final mix of the drums as possible when doing over dubs, weather i am woking on tape or computer. I end up voicing the sound of the guitars, bass vocals... kind of everything based on the drum sound, so it is really important for me. If I am listening to a kind of dull drum mix through overdubs I will always find myself in that spot of having to brighten everything with EQ in the mix. That is not necessarily the best way to do it. I would rather get things closer based on mic choices/placement. I also find that, sometimes I won't realize that the sound I captured doesn't really work that great when its brightened up in the mix and then its too late.

When I am done tracking drums on a full album project, I basically tell the band you guys get to take a break if you like. I will be spending the next few days doing drum mixes on everything. I try to get the drum mixes as close as I can to what I think the final sound should be. There are times when I end up using that original reference drum mix on the final mix. A recent example is on the new TBS record. The verses of "Falling" and "This Is All" are both the original stereo drum mix just turned up on 2 faders on the console.

EV
Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search