Midrange
Subscribe
thecrashfactory
16th August 2011
Old 16th August 2011
Gear Head

Midrange

Hi Eric

The one thing that always immediately jumps out at me about your records is the midrange - it's always so thick, balanced, vibrant... I love that you're not scared of the 800hz area like with most pop records of that last 20 years or so. SFTD, Start Something, Louder Now... that midrange.

I'm dying to know - is this deliberate? Is it something you work towards, or something that just 'happens' when you're in front of the faders? Do you think any particular aspect of your workflow/equipment/mindset is responsible?

Thanks for all the insight!

Mark
16th August 2011
Old 16th August 2011
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecrashfactory View Post
Hi Eric

The one thing that always immediately jumps out at me about your records is the midrange - it's always so thick, balanced, vibrant... I love that you're not scared of the 800hz area like with most pop records of that last 20 years or so. SFTD, Start Something, Louder Now... that midrange.

I'm dying to know - is this deliberate? Is it something you work towards, or something that just 'happens' when you're in front of the faders? Do you think any particular aspect of your workflow/equipment/mindset is responsible?

Thanks for all the insight!

Mark
I think it may be a result of me trying to move things away from the 2K to 5K range that I find kind of harsh. I guess I'm not specifically trying to boost that 800hz range it just ends being the dominant midrange presence in the mix after I tuck in those higher mids. there have been times when I have thought that my mixes don't sound as loud or as persent as some other mixers I really like, but my ears always seem to navigate to that same place... even when I am trying not to

EV
Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search