Login / Register

SM7
Subscribe
Mho
15th August 2011
Old 15th August 2011
Gear addict

SM7

Some SM7 love! How do you usualy set this mic? Bass roll off and mid boost? Use the stock foam or an external pop filter? Sm7a or Sm7b? Thank you!
15th August 2011
Old 15th August 2011
Gear nut

Very interested in this as wel. Are there certain settings in which you always tend to grab the sm7? I can imagine that it would do better in an 'uptempo wall of guitar song' than in a subtle acoustic arrangement, or am I wrong and does it depend on the vocalist?

Thanks for all the invaluable info so far!
16th August 2011
Old 16th August 2011
Lives for gear

Ah! Sorry saw this is in the Eric Q & A!!

I'm interested to hear how he uses it too!
16th August 2011
Old 16th August 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by abechap024 View Post

Well maybe some starting points ...
Great man! Thanks for sharing. Here's a fiver, go get something pretty for yourself, but bring back change.
16th August 2011
Old 16th August 2011
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mho View Post
Some SM7 love! How do you usualy set this mic? Bass roll off and mid boost? Use the stock foam or an external pop filter? Sm7a or Sm7b? Thank you!
Quote:
Very interested in this as wel. Are there certain settings in which you always tend to grab the sm7? I can imagine that it would do better in an 'uptempo wall of guitar song' than in a subtle acoustic arrangement, or am I wrong and does it depend on the vocalist?

Thanks for all the invaluable info so far!
I pretty much always have the HP engaged on the SM7. I can't think of an instance when it was off right now. I always use an external pop filter (the high end seems way better to me that way). The presence peak is totally based on the singer. I find that singers who have a thicker voice with a lot of over tones need the presence peak. Singers that have a cleaner voice can start to sound to small and mid rangy with the presence peak on. Here are some examples of singers that were definitely one way or the other for me:

Adam Lazzara - peak on
John Nolan - peak off
Steve Harwell - peak on
Myles Kennedy - Peak off
Chris Cornell - Peak on
Sara Watkins - Peak off

EV
Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search