Chandler Tube Driver
Subscribe
Worlez
13th August 2011
Old 13th August 2011
Lives for gear

Chandler Tube Driver

Hi Eric,
I was just wondering if you have ever used a Thermionic Culture Vulture, and if so, what uses did you find for it? I have one now and often run it as a mono send for things like kick/snare/bass etc, but I'm wondering whether to check out the Chandler Tube Driver for this instead and swap the Culture Vulture for something else...
Cheers
Al
13th August 2011
Old 13th August 2011
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worlez View Post
Hi Eric,
I was just wondering if you have ever used a Thermionic Culture Vulture, and if so, what uses did you find for it? I have one now and often run it as a mono send for things like kick/snare/bass etc, but I'm wondering whether to check out the Chandler Tube Driver for this instead and swap the Culture Vulture for something else...
Cheers
Al
I have used the Culture Vulture. I had one for a few years. I was really excited about the thing when I first heard about and ultimately got one. I messed with that thing for a while (2 or 3 years) and for some reason it just didn't work that great for me. It either didn't play nice with other equipment because of the unbalanced ins/outs, or it was having some sort ground loop buzz, or it just wasn't delivering harmonic distortion that I found particularly appealing. I ended up selling it last year.

I don't want my experience to reflect negatively on it though. I know a lot of other people that totally swear by it and really love the results they get with it. Thermionic is a great company making cool stuff. it just didn't work for me. I'm happy wiht my little Tube Drivers. They are different in one very specific way. The tube drivers are emulating the preamp section of a guitar amp so they have an overall built in HP/LP (typical in guitar amps) that is part of the sound. I think that is what I like about them.

EV
14th August 2011
Old 14th August 2011
Lives for gear

what kind of little tube drivers?
14th August 2011
Old 14th August 2011
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete View Post
what kind of little tube drivers?
This kind!

These pictures are from a mix documentation. The settings you see are pretty much around where they stay most of the time.

EV
14th August 2011
Old 14th August 2011
Lives for gear

I own one and love it, you really have to roll of those shrill highs
14th August 2011
Old 14th August 2011
Gear addict

My Studio

Tube Drivers....

EV,
How are you using your tube drivers? Mostly on guitars during tracking or during mix-down? Any tracks you can reference? By the way thanks for all the great posts. You are setting a high-bar for future guest moderators.
Best,
Tim Cochran
14th August 2011
Old 14th August 2011
Gear nut

I am actually kinda curious about that compressor above the tube drivers, may I ask what brand it is or is this too off topic:P
14th August 2011
Old 14th August 2011
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Recordingist View Post
I am actually kinda curious about that compressor above the tube drivers, may I ask what brand it is or is this too off topic:P
It's a BSS DPR 901 II 4 band Dynamic Equalizer
BSS Audio DPR-901II (discontinued)
14th August 2011
Old 14th August 2011
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce 225 View Post
EV,
How are you using your tube drivers? Mostly on guitars during tracking or during mix-down? Any tracks you can reference? By the way thanks for all the great posts. You are setting a high-bar for future guest moderators.
Best,
Tim Cochran
The funny thing is that I pretty much never use the tube drivers on guitars. I use them on drums, bass, vocals, percussion when mixing. typically using an aux send/return configuration, so I can do it as parallel blend type thing.

There is a good example of the tube driver on drums in the beginning of an the SRC cover of the song 'Love Song'. The sped up jungle style drum part in the beginning is what to listen for. It is kind of an extreme example but there is a lot of tube driver in the blend on that so you can really hear it. The tube driver is being used on the main drum sound through out the song as well (mostly on the snare). When using the Tube Driver as a parallel blend you can use it 2 ways. Either in phase or out of phase. Because of the filtering going on in the Tube driver circuit it is usable both ways. When it is phase forward it emphasizes more of the mid range, when it is phase backwards to the original it tames the mid range and adds a very interesting high end. This SRC drum intro is an example of the phase backwards type.

Src-Love Song - YouTube

EV
16th August 2011
Old 16th August 2011
Gear addict

My Studio

EV,
Thanks for the reply about the Chandlers....I picked up a couple Sansamps a few years ago after reading about Tchad Blake using them on Kicks and Snares. Like you, he said he used them on almost everything but guitar.
Best,
Tim Cochran
16th August 2011
Old 16th August 2011
Gear Head

Eric, I recall being at your studio when you were working on SRC and you played me the track right after you'd mixed it. That intro is still one of my favorite to this day.

Also, that's the coolest use of slow pitch rising I've ever heard (about 1:40 into the song). What was it that you used to get in between the notes to get that glide to work while still slightly resting on the actual notes. You can feel the chord progression very clearly but it just sort of rises through the changes. Brilliant stuff.

Oh yeah, and the baritone guitar bend. So cool!
16th August 2011
Old 16th August 2011
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Ouimette View Post
Eric, I recall being at your studio when you were working on SRC and you played me the track right after you'd mixed it. That intro is still one of my favorite to this day.

Also, that's the coolest use of slow pitch rising I've ever heard (about 1:40 into the song). What was it that you used to get in between the notes to get that glide to work while still slightly resting on the actual notes. You can feel the chord progression very clearly but it just sort of rises through the changes. Brilliant stuff.

Oh yeah, and the baritone guitar bend. So cool!
Hey Steve!!

The rising chord effect on the chorus of 'Love Song' was a very T-Ride-esque moment on that song. I mapped it out first with midi programming. I played the chord progression 1 note at a time. That made it possible to bend all the notes from chord to chord. It took a lot of tweaking to figure out how slow the bending would be vs. how long the notes would hover to clearly establish a particular chord. The midi version was triggering an Optigon organ sample. I then doubled all of that note by note with E-Bow pedal steel guitar going through a distorted amp. That is one of those things that took an entire day to finally get something that I thought was kind of working.

Hope You're Well!!

EV
16th August 2011
Old 16th August 2011
Gear Head

Hey Eric, thanks! Things are great here.

Ah, I didn't realize the ebow/pedal steel was in there...totally makes sense. I love the slow bending and the way you did it with MIDI is really creative. Definitely a T-Ride-esq sound which is why I love it so much. Thank you for sharing the technique on that.

Sounds like things are going great with UTA. I may very well be putting in an order for 1 or 2 of the channel strips soon!

Thanks again
Steve
18th August 2011
Old 18th August 2011
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by ev33 View Post
The funny thing is that I pretty much never use the tube drivers on guitars. I use them on drums, bass, vocals, percussion when mixing. typically using an aux send/return configuration, so I can do it as parallel blend type thing.

There is a good example of the tube driver on drums in the beginning of an the SRC cover of the song 'Love Song'. The sped up jungle style drum part in the beginning is what to listen for. It is kind of an extreme example but there is a lot of tube driver in the blend on that so you can really hear it. The tube driver is being used on the main drum sound through out the song as well (mostly on the snare). When using the Tube Driver as a parallel blend you can use it 2 ways. Either in phase or out of phase. Because of the filtering going on in the Tube driver circuit it is usable both ways. When it is phase forward it emphasizes more of the mid range, when it is phase backwards to the original it tames the mid range and adds a very interesting high end. This SRC drum intro is an example of the phase backwards type.

Src-Love Song - YouTube

EV
HOLY SHIT! you did the SRC LP? that record is phenomenal; sonically, musically, just about every possible metric. how did you guys get that, very specific distortion that permeates the entire record? i cannot explain exactly what it is, but it's defiantly not one specific type of distortion. thought it was bit-crushing at first but it's too musical for that to be the case.

- j a s o n | s t e r l e

- facebook
Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search