About editing
Old 13th August 2011
Gear Head

About editing

Hi Eric,

first, I would like to thank you for all the information you've been sharing on these boards and elsewhere! It's amazing to read about your ideas, techniques, approaches that have created so many great sounds.

The question:

when listening to the All American Rejects Song 'Gives You Hell', it sounds like when the chorus kicks in every instrument is just perfectly in time with each other. I don't mean sample accurate together, but perfect enough to create this huge impact.

How much editing is involved in moments like this? Do you manipulate the timing in PT? Or do you punch in until the magic happens?

I often find myself moving bass notes around to get the phasing just right between bass and kick drum to create maximum impact. Do you do this as well?

If yes, do you align every kickdrum with the bass (assuming they lock together in the arrangment), or just at the important moments? Like the entrance of section, syncopated patterns etc...

Thanks again!
Niels
Old 13th August 2011
Gear maniac

Both you and the artists you've worked with say that you're a stickler for tuning. I wonder what tuner to you find most accurate and what strings(for both guitar and bass) have you had most success with keeping the instrument in tune and having a nice tone?
Old 13th August 2011
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by dusty cooper View Post
Hi Eric,

first, I would like to thank you for all the information you've been sharing on these boards and elsewhere! It's amazing to read about your ideas, techniques, approaches that have created so many great sounds.

The question:

when listening to the All American Rejects Song 'Gives You Hell', it sounds like when the chorus kicks in every instrument is just perfectly in time with each other. I don't mean sample accurate together, but perfect enough to create this huge impact.

How much editing is involved in moments like this? Do you manipulate the timing in PT? Or do you punch in until the magic happens?

I often find myself moving bass notes around to get the phasing just right between bass and kick drum to create maximum impact. Do you do this as well?

If yes, do you align every kickdrum with the bass (assuming they lock together in the arrangment), or just at the important moments? Like the entrance of section, syncopated patterns etc...

Thanks again!
Niels
Down beats are a big deal to me and yes I do the same things you describe to address them. I talk about it in this thread:

Your volume ramp up technique!

EV
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search