Unmastered 3EB mix
Subscribe
ev33
13th August 2011
Old 13th August 2011
Gear maniac

Unmastered 3EB mix

Quote:
but it would be amazing to hear any unmastered tracks off that album you may have.
I do have a copy of the "Good For You" mix unmastered. The only problem is that the version I have is what was printed directly to a Panasonic 3700 DAT machine. The 1/2" analog masters (which is what Ted Jensen used for mastering) I assume are at Elektra records. So it doesn't really give as clear a sense of exactly what happened in mastering. It does offer a pretty cool example of how wonderful printing to analog can be.

I tried to match the levels between the 2 so it is easier to compare.

EV

http://undertoneaudio.com/picsforGS/...ou-GAIN_01.wav

http://undertoneaudio.com/picsforGS/...-frm%20DAT.wav
13th August 2011
Old 13th August 2011
Gear nut

Very cool, thanks for posting!
RTR
13th August 2011
Old 13th August 2011
RTR
Lives for gear

So the 2 track mix was recorded to Adat first, then the adat recorded to tape? My ears are shot and I don't hear that much of a difference if any...but I think it sounds damn good either way..love this album..now I have to listen to it!
ev33
13th August 2011
Old 13th August 2011
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by RTR View Post
So the 2 track mix was recorded to Adat first, then the adat recorded to tape? My ears are shot and I don't hear that much of a difference if any...but I think it sounds damn good either way..love this album..now I have to listen to it!
The output of the console was split to go to an Ampex ATR102 1/2" tape machine at the same time as a Panasonic 3700 DAT machine (DAT is a 2 track digital recording format that isn't really used anymore). Ted Jensen Mastered the Analog 1/2" version (which already sounds pretty different than the DAT version). I only have access to the unmastered DAT version for comparison to the final mastered version. So it is not a particularly meaningful comparison for evaluating just the mastering.

EV
15th August 2011
Old 15th August 2011
Lives for gear

Very cool Eric, thanks so much for posting! This is a rare treat. Your mix on Adat sounds great, definitely not far from the master.

What's interesting is the master I have of that song does sound different (beyond just the levels) than the one posted here I think. But maybe I'm wrong, the guitar sounds different after some of his lines and the organ is slightly different in the mix.

Also, I'll give Ted Jenson some credit here and say that he did some good things to the mix. This was just about the time stuff was starting to get louder but thank God it wasn't stoopid loud like these days. Great work all around, such an amazing sounding and well written album, I really can't say it enough.

16th August 2011
Old 16th August 2011
Gear maniac

Many thanks for posting this, Eric!
16th August 2011
Old 16th August 2011
Gear addict

You are incredibly generous for posting this kind of stuff. I'll have a listen when I get down to the studio later on. I'm lookin' forward to it!
16th August 2011
Old 16th August 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ev33 View Post
(DAT is a 2 track digital recording format that isn't really used anymore).
Thanks - really cool of you to post the mixes! I find myself both happy and sad you had to explain DATs
17th August 2011
Old 17th August 2011
Gear maniac

Send a message via AIM to Fash
Eric, this is such a fantastic tool to use to improve my mixes. Importing your unmastered mix into a Pro Tools session, especially one in the same key as GFY, will be incredibly helpful. I really appreciate it.

Listening to both files toggling back and forth in solo was very revealing, yet showed how great the mix is regardless of mix down format. While the 1/2" mastered file is richer and fuller, your 16 bit DAT mix still sounds great. I remember those 3700s well, with the silver face and big blue stop button, haha.

Once thing I found interesting was that Ted's master has a reversed absolute polarity in comparison to your DAT mix, which I guess could be from the ATR-102 or Ted's chain. Not to hijack your thread, but would you care to share your opinion and knowledge on absolute polarity? Any thoughts or ideas would be awesome.
17th August 2011
Old 17th August 2011
Lives for gear

Speaking of Elektra they really need to release Third Eye Blind's first album on 180 gram vinyl and leave it 100% analog.
17th August 2011
Old 17th August 2011
Lives for gear

I was going to say... Has DAT really been gone that long that guys are going to mix up DAT / ADAT? Or I guess DAT wasn't around long enough to stick.. Sort of the Beta max of the time..
17th August 2011
Old 17th August 2011
Gear maniac

"Good for You" is my favorite track on that record, "God of Wine" is close second. Ted Jensen is really amazing. You should check out the talk he did with a couple other big guys; "Deep Listening". It's on youtube.

Their first LP meant a lot to me, thank you for sharing some insight.

- j a s o n | s t e r l e

- facebook
17th August 2011
Old 17th August 2011
Gear nut

how cool is that !
Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+ 

Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search