Old 13th August 2011
Lives for gear

J37

Hey, thanks for a nice tour of your studio in the Pensado's Place and thanks for lot of detailed info here. I'm sure I have a lot to read...

I'm curious what role plays J37 in your workflow. What goals, colors, character it helps you to achieve? Is it instant goto for certain things?
Old 13th August 2011
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by matucha View Post
Hey, thanks for a nice tour of your studio in the Pensado's Place and thanks for lot of detailed info here. I'm sure I have a lot to read...

I'm curious what role plays J37 in your workflow. What goals, colors, character it helps you to achieve? Is it instant goto for certain things?
The J37 is a more recent thing for me. i am still getting to know it. My early experiences have been hugely positive though. I am in fact set up right now to record vocals (the singer is lost trying to find their way to the studio so I have some extra time at the moment) where in I will be printing the vocals in to the computer going through 2 tracks of the J37 in series at 7.5ips. It is a beautifully smooth rich sound. It is really great at grabbing unpleasant mid range peaks and smoothing them out. In general the effect is that it makes things sound thicker, denser, smoother, richer and to my old school ears just more like a record.

Typically with the J37 I use it on the way into the computer. I will mult whatever the sound I am recording and simultaneously record the signal straight into the computer as well as through the tape machine in repro. We will monitor the direct digital performance while singing/playing. After we have the performance I can then go back and do one global timing adjust to the analog version (pull it back a few thousand samples) and then listen to that from that point forward.

I have also been using it as part of my mastering process as well. When people give me stuff that was recorded and mixed entirely in the computer I will often print things to tape as part of the mastering treatment. People seem to be responding very positively to it. There is a song I mastered for a song for a band called Vicky Crier called "Smut". That particular song we ran through the J37 at 7.5ips. It added a really cool character to the track.

EV
Old 14th August 2011
Lives for gear

Thanks a lot for your response, I'm asking because some time ago I've bought one and now I'm waiting for tech to restore it. Meanwhile whenever I see one, I get very curious .

To my surprise you mention 7.5ips alot... 15ips is too clean/head bump not in the right place?

Quote:
Typically with the J37 I use it on the way into the computer. I will mult whatever the sound I am recording and simultaneously record the signal straight into the computer as well as through the tape machine in repro. We will monitor the direct digital performance while singing/playing. After we have the performance I can then go back and do one global timing adjust to the analog version (pull it back a few thousand samples) and then listen to that from that point forward.
Interesting idea... makes sense.
Old 14th August 2011
Gear interested

Quote:
Originally Posted by ev33 View Post
The J37 is a more recent thing for me. i am still getting to know it. My early experiences have been hugely positive though. I am in fact set up right now to record vocals (the singer is lost trying to find their way to the studio so I have some extra time at the moment) where in I will be printing the vocals in to the computer going through 2 tracks of the J37 in series at 7.5ips. It is a beautifully smooth rich sound. It is really great at grabbing unpleasant mid range peaks and smoothing them out. In general the effect is that it makes things sound thicker, denser, smoother, richer and to my old school ears just more like a record.

I have also been using it as part of my mastering process as well. When people give me stuff that was recorded and mixed entirely in the computer I will often print things to tape as part of the mastering treatment. People seem to be responding very positively to it. There is a song I mastered for a song for a band called Vicky Crier called "Smut". That particular song we ran through the J37 at 7.5ips. It added a really cool character to the track.

EV
For as much as tape still seems to be a part of your workflow, have you considered a CLASP setup?
Old 15th August 2011
Gear maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by iCombs View Post
For as much as tape still seems to be a part of your workflow, have you considered a CLASP setup?
I did consider the CLASP setup when I first heard about it. Because it is more common for me to do dig first analog second it doesn't really apply to my work flow. typically when I am doing analog first, I haven't been bothered by simply adjust the timing of the analog tracks one time at the end of capturing a performance, so it just didn't feel like it was necessary for me.

As I said in another post:

Quote:
I am very pleased to see people making the effort to keep analog included in the digital world. The CLASP setup is very cleaver and I know a few folks that really love it.
EV
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search